Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP, UA Gold
Crazy situation. I hope everything turns to the better. Ive been refreshing twitter, facebook, google etc for the last two hours in hopes some good news comes out of it. Maybe just news in general...
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Just heard the news on this, hoping for a miracle. So, from the flight map that I saw, the plane flew over Thailand and Vietnam just fine, then it disappeared as soon as it left the coast of Vietnam?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: Basement Lurker Club
I took this flight the day before. Take MH370, 380 (to CAN), 386 (PVG) quite regularly too!

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 7, 2014 at 11:17 pm Reason: Removed unnecessary and potentially offensive wording
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:29 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Reminds me of AF 447. Hoping for a miracle...
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Xin Hua, the Chinese news agency, is reporting that Vietnamese officials are denying they have located the plane: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/wo..._133170718.htm - although the initial report seemed to be from a better source (the Vietnamese military) than the denial ("Vietnam's maritime search and rescue coordination center zone 3")...
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
No claims of "responsibility" as of yet I'm assuming. Maybe it reduces the likelihood of terrorism, but a sudden dropping off the radar, with no radio contact at all, suggests a sudden and catastrophic failure of the aircraft. From a plane as reliable as the 777, it is puzzling.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by TTT
SkyNews just reported that the Chinese navy is sending two ships to the South China sea to assist in SAR operations. Don't know specifics about where they currently are located or timeline for arrival (or even where they are headed specifically).
Thanks, just read Weibo posts, citing gov't sources in Beijing & reported on CCTV, that 2 navy vessels were dispatched 2.5 to 3 hours ago from Hainan island, off the South China Sea and the nearby new outpost/island in dispute with the Pillipines (as they are the closest.) No ETA given but, they are many, many hours away - unless they can launch long-range S&R aircrafts.

HKG's Government Flying Service (GFS) has 2 Bombardier Challenger 605 jets capable of long-range S&R and could possibly be called upon. Still likely to be way behind its normal operating range, and will need refueling. Surely, the Vietnamese authorities must have something in its inventory to aid when the plane is near/in their jurisdiction.

Reading the Sina/Weibo direct feeds out of PEK, it now is stated on CCTV News that claims by Vietnamese officials quoted previously as saying that plane's beacon/signal has been located are unfounded or false.
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by seattletravelguy
Just heard the news on this, hoping for a miracle. So, from the flight map that I saw, the plane flew over Thailand and Vietnam just fine, then it disappeared as soon as it left the coast of Vietnam?
No. It took off from KUL and flew over the gulf where contact was lost before it reached Vietnam.

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Navy: Malaysia Airlines Flight Crashed into the Ocean

An additional update, albeit a said one (from our newsroom):

Navy: Malaysia Airlines Flight Crashed into the Ocean
The Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 that went missing several hours ago has apparently crash landed into the South China Sea. The aircraft, which departed from Kuala Lumpur at 12:41 a.m. local time with 227 passengers and 12 crew members on board, was originally scheduled to land in Beijing at 6:30 a.m.

Media reports in Vietnam are saying that the Vietnamese Navy has confirmed the that flight MH370 crashed into the ocean. The daily newspaper Tuoi Tre reportd that Navy Admiral Ngo Van Phat said that military radar recorded that the plane crashed into the sea at a location 153 miles (246 kilometers) south of Phu Quoc island…..

<SNIP>
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
No. It took off from KUL and flew over the gulf where contact was lost before it reached Vietnam.
Okay, thanks. This does have a similar story, thus far, to the AF tragedy.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:35 pm

From looking at the pax manifest, it appears that the reports of 3 Americans plus 1 infant are double-counting the infant. I counted 3 Americans *including* the one infant. The name is listed as ****, LEOINF; just above ****, ******; who is presumably the mother. I am pretty sure the listing is for a person with the first name Leo, who is an infant.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:36 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by hessinger
<redacted> I took this flight the day before. Take MH370, 380 (to CAN), 386 (PVG) quite regularly too!
I can't even begin to imagine what's going through your mind right now.

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 7, 2014 at 11:18 pm Reason: Quote of now-deleted redaction
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I think an ocean crash was a foregone conclusion, but at least they have released the official statement.

Simply horrible.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by hessinger
<redacted>I took this flight the day before. Take MH370, 380 (to CAN), 386 (PVG) quite regularly too!
Hessinger, have a drink and call your loved ones.

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 7, 2014 at 11:19 pm Reason: Quote of now-deleted redaction
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Scifience
Apologies. I had assumed that since it was information released by mainstream (albeit Chinese) media, it was acceptable to post.

I've edited out the link to the original Chinese source as well.
No worries, and thank you. Until the information becomes a matter of widespread public information, and hopefully next of kin informed, we'll keep the data off the thread - particularly information such as passport numbers. /Mod

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.