Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyertalkie
Take note, both of the tickets were issued on Mar/6. same day. Info on the tickets:

https://app.box.com/s/1cqi2eux9mp3iild2ip0
https://app.box.com/s/10mwa98v0rcub68e5jsp
Isn't it possible that these two were involved in the criminal underworld (drugs, child labor, sex worker smuggling, etc.) which explains their shady behavior - and it's just a coincidence they were on this flight?

I go back to my earlier post - you don't commit an act of terror in silence - you commit it to be known by the world and for your cause to get its day in the sun - and that hasn't happened yet which makes me doubt that this was an act of terrorism.

At this point if group XYZ claimed responsibility it would look like they were just trying to get attention to themselves. If you had committed this act of terrorism and wanted the world to know you would've claimed responsibility a long time ago.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: NWA PE, Delta Pt, United 1P
Regarding the Ukrainian passport issue, the MAS CEO at the press conference that just ended clarified that there are only 2 passports in question, not 4.

Additionally, the press conference had two Malaysian military officials speaking suggesting that they have radar data that might indicate the plane may have tried to turn back. Press had a lot of questions about this new revelation, the officials said they're still analyzing the data as it comes in, it's was too early for them to say anything more. The sea search is being expanded to the West coast of Malaysia, including near Penang.

This one hit close to home, as I've spent a lot of time in KUL/SIN, still have friends and family there, and this flight (in general) could have been one I may have booked.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:32 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by flyertalkie
Take note, both of the tickets were issued on Mar/6. same day. Info on the tickets:

https://app.box.com/s/1cqi2eux9mp3iild2ip0
https://app.box.com/s/10mwa98v0rcub68e5jsp
They were also purchased in Thailand on the 6th. Not sure whether this was done in person or online / over the phone.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Right, but what good does that info do for anyone if it's destroyed during an explosion? kettle1's point was that there should be a way for an aircraft to send its position during an emergency, not just notate it.
Google Latitude, before they closed it, has an option to have real-time information update. Obviously it requires internet connectivity.

However in 5-10 years, when all (or most) aircrafts will be coming wifi onboard, independent RT location updates from from the plane would be much easier.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Was that you in the plane at close to 42,000 feet? That seems far higher than most all commercial flights.
Yes, it was UA's 777 EWR-HKG.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Not sure what to make of this. Two more Europeans on the passenger list who were not aboard?

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...de-turn-back-a

My heart goes out to the families. I just hope they find the plane soon. Why is it taking so long? This is not the open Atlantic like the AF plane.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Lifetime Bonvoy Platinum, HHonors Gold , TK Gold, MH Plat, QR Plat
May the Lord have mercy

I just saw that the leading steward on this flight was one I had a couple of months back on LAX-NRT. He was super friendly and one of the best MAS crew ever on all my flights.

#PrayForMH370
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:37 pm

I took an aviation weather class back in college, and something my professor said one day stuck with me.

"I sometimes find it hard to understand how, despite doctors having to go through sometimes decades of education to even start practicing medicine, how easily we put pilots in the air. A doctor can only kill 1 person at a time."

Certainly nothing yet to suggest pilot error in this case, quite the contrary actually so far. It's just tough to conceptualize that as we lie flat in F seats on a transcon, it only takes a few seconds for the entire plane to disintegrate for whatever reason.

Makes me look at the other fora on here rife with posts splitting hairs on points irregularities, the horrid SM 2015, etc. (myself included) and just realize that it's good to be alive. I've been on this route and could've been on this plane, as many FTers could have been.

We're 80 pages in. Let's all go kiss/call/talk to our families.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
The one thing I can say is that FT is a great forum. I posted about 5 minutes after this news hit (I have an alert for airline news on my computer) and look where it went 1,190 posts and almost 250,000 views.

^^^ To Flyer Talk and the mods on this thread. Many may have been up 24 hours or so, as this thread is not visited as much as many of the others.

Click on google or ask.com and guess what thread falls in the top when an event in the air happens. Flyer Talk.

By the way FT had this posted about 2 minutes before it was reported on CNN or Fox News. I missed being the first to post as people on here care about getting news out fast. Good news or bad.

I sometimes bit** and complain on other threads, but horrible things like this bring the FT community together.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
... that Egyptian 747 many years ago.
Presumably you refer to MS 990, which was a 763ER.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by seattletravelguy
I've seen various reports on the AF crash investigation, and they all concluded that there was time to correct the issues had the flight deck reacted correctly and more timely. But whatever happened to MH370 seems more sudden. The AF aircraft was dropping at about two thousand feet per minute, correct me if I'm wrong, making it still possible to pull back up. So, is it likely this aircraft nosedived or belly-flopped very, very quickly?
Unfortunately the junior AF pilots were trying to react to "crazy" flight control indicators and were "pulling up" which is what caused the plane to stall and drop in a nose up Position. Basically the pitot tubes iced over giving all sorts of false readings. Had the pilots pushed down they likely would have gained speed to keep the plane airborne. From what I remember AF HQ got all sorts of "bizarre" telematic readings from the plane, which lead them to believe it broke up in flight. However it was later attributed to the frozen pitot tubes and plane was intact to the end.

This was similar to what happened on Aero Peru 603 in which duct tape was left on the sensors before take of. In 603 the pilots were able to communicate that their flight instruments were going haywire...so seems like an issue with pitot tubes/flight sensors would be remote given the suddenness of the disappearance.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I fail to see why BKK is being brought into the scenario ....
Presumably because the passports were [reportedly] stolen in Bangkok and the tix were purchased in Bangkok.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA MR UR AA
Originally Posted by kxl19
Additionally, the press conference had two Malaysian military officials speaking suggesting that they have radar data that might indicate the plane may have tried to turn back. Press had a lot of questions about this new revelation, the officials said they're still analyzing the data as it comes in, it's was too early for them to say anything more. The sea search is being expanded to the West coast of Malaysia, including near Penang.
Was watching the press conference myself. The turnback was already mentioned yesterday, but the expanded search to the Straits of Malacca is interesting. Why would they do a sea search in an area several hundred km away?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:55 pm

Programs: Mekong Club
According to the reporter of Thanh Nien (a well-known daily newspaper in Vietnam) who is on a Vietnamese military plane, the oil slick area today is 4 times bigger than yesterday.

m.thanhnien.com.vn/story/tuong-thuat-cuoc-tim-kiem-may-bay-mat-tich-sid-300184 (in Vietnamese)
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
If satellite photos does not show the plane (or what was left from it), I wonder what could happen to the plane of this size that nobody can locate it in 200ft depth water with clear sky....
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:58 pm

Firstly, the moderators on this website are doing an exemplary job on this particular thread; the moderator notes on each page defining the rules and the moral standards that must be upheld. I salute each and every one of you with gratitude. I cannot imagine being at either airport and having to deal with a situation like this. Let's all abide by these rules...

Having gone through most of the 79 pages, it is interesting for me as a non-aviation person, to see the views of many more experienced individuals. I now know about the stolen passports and many other issues.

It is odd that there was no mayday signal, from what I understand, so the plane's disappearance off radar and all communications lost seems to me clearly that no one had an opportunity to react.

I am flying tomorrow and I so appreciate pilots that take these jets up in the air and land them on a dime, isn't it something remarkable that we humans have achieved! Meantime, I will pray for all of those involved in this awful tragic event, God bless you all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.