Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH wants to charge me for checking in my wheelchair at check-in?

Old Feb 19, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Does this mean that you got the "final word" from MH and they said they would charge you? That is why you looked to Air Asia? Or, you just got tired of waiting for MH to respond?

I'm hoping someone can point out where there is confusion here? The website seems very clear, at least to me, that you would not have been charged since you are using the chair.

Just curious, OP. Where are you flying? From where to where?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 7:31 am
Suspended

And more about Air Asia's policy
http://weechookeong.com/2014/01/07/n...chair-service/
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:11 am

I seriously wonder if Air Asia charges so much for wheelchair use b/c they believe that transporting disabled pax would increase their turn around time (taking longer to board and deplane). I can totally see that as their belief, and trying to funnel all disabled pax to MAS….
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mario33
<redacted>

I asked for ideas/assistance, but got none that would help me fly with MH. I asked and waited, but got nowhere. MH demured and has not even bothered to reply when I last asked for further clarification. What kind of customer service is that? Quite frankly, I don't want the hassle with MH. Period.

<redacted>

... I stated my case to MH and they gave me their opinion/decision/view. However, just to allay non-factually based opinions, let me just say that recently I went on a trip - it does not matter where, but I flew with AirArabia - the point is that I was fine when I started the trip. Furthermore, I was fine until an orthopedic "situation" occurred and I needed crutches, and a wheelchair. Air Arabia had a fork-lift to put me on and off the plane in a wheelchair, but the wheelchair was (quite frankly) a POS. Air Arabia personnel were really good about it, and I managed as well - but barely as I got off the plane and then went into a hospital. A forklift folks! A better wheelchair would have really been helpful AND more comfortable. I now have such a wheelchair...

I want a pre-emptive strike with my own wheel chair. It is manually operated, but custom built and it fits (partially disassembled) into a strong box for travel. I do not want baggage handlers throwing it around like they do with baby prams and baggage - some friends have worked as baggage handlers while they were uni students (aka summer jobs). My wheelchair cost over $2000 and the strong Al box provides protection..

Air AsiaX will allow me to PAY for my wheel chair and baggage and in economy it is still cheaper by far than MH. With the Air AsiaX premium service I have decided to PAY for, I get my wheel chair on board, the RT (open jaw at that), and the baggage for over $1000 AUD less than MH business class would cost.

<redacted> I try to get straight information and use it to my best advantage while travelling. I have done so in this case because it is obvious that MH wants to charge me for something that other OW and *A airlines do not. I have found an alternative approach with AAX that flies the routes I am interested in flying on and at reasonable cost to me. Your reference posting (in the media) is a totally different situation, and yes I do understand why you are using it - to both rubbish AirAsia and my decision to use them instead of MH. Funny that you are telling me how to spend my money - I thought the customer spent money as they wished - wisely or foolishly (depending on one's perspective). I wonder if the media slants stories, and leaves a LOT to the imagination of readers just to sell a story to folks with an axe to grind. I state this because I do have personal experience with some media types and their resultant "printed" interviews that were slanted in a way that did not at totally reflect what I said and indicated. Such is journalistic license I suppose ...

I rest my case. In spite of trying to get info about how to deal with this issue (and getting info on the baggage "piece system" which does not apply to me) all that I seem to have done is to get folks ticked off. Unfortunately, that does happen. In this case, I AM sorry that I have ticked off anyone, and furthermore, I apologize for any personal angst that has been (apparently) created in the grey matter of any reader of this thread. It was not anticipared when I made my initial comments. All I wanted was to fly with my wheelchair without having the costs that MH wanted to charge me. As mentioned in a different post, I have never had such a response from BA, or UA, nor even from Greyhound buses in North America. Never before. Such is life, I guess.

Nevertheless, for me the situation HAS been resolved. Quite frankly, folks, I really would like to walk normally and to never need a wheelchair at all. That won't happen during my lifetime, so I travel the way I need to and believe me folks, I don't like paying for some of my travel situations. Nevertheless, the wheel chair sits at the ready and it is available when and if I need it. FOR THAT my orthopedic surgeon is happy - and so am I because I have found a way to travel with it at less cost and hassle than MH would allow. I really would be a lost soul if I could not travel and experience this world...

The loss of BAEC TPs is really a non-issue. The deal-breaker was the cost of the wheel chair that MH wanted to charge. THAT is correct, folks - a deal breaker.

Bye. Time to read another thread - and spend some more time planning my trip.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 10, 2014 at 4:36 pm Reason: deleted unnecessary material
Old Feb 19, 2014, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
One of the problems with what's on the website, vs the reservations people is that they usually know very little. And its not only restricted to MH.

The airport people at check in would know the best about this. So yes, print a copy of what it says and just check it in at the airport. Usually as with any other airline, your wheelchair will be tagged at the counter but you may take it as far as the gate where it will be gate checked.

If they refute it which I highly doubt as surely you are not the only wheelchair user to be doing this.. then show them what is printed out. But usually the airport staff know about such procedures. The phone reservations staff on the other hand only know the basics.

For example, one can always interline bags on MH even on seperate tickets. It doesn't say that on the website and the phone res people will just say no, you cannot. But at the airport, they'd say yes.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Feb 19, 2014 at 4:41 pm
Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:41 pm

I have to agree with, Buy. OP, I really do think if you would have printed out the relevant passage from the link I sent in post #2, you would have been fine.

Dealing with MH can be so frustrating! I JUST now got an issue resolved that I have been going back and forth with MH since December 7.

Have a great trip, OP.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
As one who has needed a wheelchair, but can hobble onto/off the aircraft, I sympathize with the OP. It should not be an airline's (or any commenters' here) decision as to which medical assistance device a passenger needs. If I (or the OP) arrive with a wheelchair, the assumption should be it is needed. And, not everybody using a wheelchair is orthopedic; there are other conditions.

A litle OT, but recently I was told at check-in I could not carry my usual cane (a great little thing called a "Hurry-cane") on the aircraft because it "could be used as a weapon". This was not from TSA, but the airline. Luckily, I had a plain-jane folding cane that I used in place of the one with a flexible spring in it (which I checked).
Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis

THAT is the title of the thread.

It is not up to any member to challenge another member about their posts and different ability or mobility impairment. This is a personal attack, and is contrary to the TOS.

Thanks to the members who persisted in reading the OP's posts and attempting to help by posting MH's wheelchair policy.

Its also important not to quarrel or challenge; it's usually easily remedied by using the "Alert a moderator" function to the left of each post. It looks like this, and the popup message goes to all moderators of a forum. Absent appointed moderators, it goes to the four senior moderators.

JDiver
Senior Moderator

Personal Attacks - link to this guideline

We encourage a healthy exchange of opinions. If you disagree with another member, challenge the opinion or idea - not the person. Personal attacks, insults and "flaming" will not be tolerated and will be removed, and the violator will be subject to disciplinary action. You may challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Attacks against groups or classes of job holders (such as Transportation Security Administration employees) will not be tolerated.

Do not retaliate or respond to a personal attack. Too often, when an initial attack is made, others join the fray and, instead of becoming part of the solution, become part of the problem. Do not accuse others of being trolls. Should there be members whose posts you don't care to read, you can put them on your ignore list. To do that, click on MyFlyerTalk and then on Edit Ignore List in the Settings & Options section on the left-hand side of the page. Enter the name of a FlyerTalk member in the Add a Member to Your List field. Click the Okay button, then click the Save Changes button.

If you feel that you are being attacked or harassed, contact a moderator.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
I can't imagine that MH would charge you. You said you would be travelling to/from Australia, where that would constitute illegal discrimination. The CASA web site has a page on accessibility requirements for airlines operating in Australia. None of it says they can charge. CASA guide for airline operators

Air Asia say they won't charge those who have some kind of Malaysian-issued card to prove they are disabled, which seems absurd. What about all the travellers from other countries? mole.my article

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.