Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

China Airlines Gets SkyCouch, Premium Economy and Gives Up F on New 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Taiwan-based China Airlines (CI)...

Interesting article: http://udn.com/NEWS/FINANCE/FIN9/8406023.shtml

Summary:

- Cabin redesign to be "Eslite Style" (as the Taiwanese book store chain)
- New Uniforms
- 777-300 ER (delivery starts September) to have SkyCouch like NZ (licensed from NZ), Premium Economy, Lie-Flat J and No F

I am guessing "空中梳化" means Sky Sofa and "梳化" is how Kong Kong translated Sofa to Chinese rather than the "沙發" used in Taiwan?

Last edited by username; Jan 5, 2014 at 3:56 pm
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
They should just translate it to 書畫... even more eslite style.

At least we can expect 32 or 33" on those Skycouch seats... so not horrendous Y in Zone 3... but it kind of further confirms that Y will be in 3-4-3 (just like NZ).

Now it's more interesting to see if they will put NZ's 2-2-2 Y+?
- Though seems unlikely with 39"/19" when compared to NZ's 42"/20".

Last edited by coolfish1103; Jan 5, 2014 at 7:34 pm
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Disappointing to see F go, although expected. Hopefully the new C product will be good enough to make up for no F.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:35 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
I wonder when we will get to have a look at what their hard product will be.

Usually airlines like Cathay and Singapore have demonstrations units on display half a year or more before its on the planes.

Also yes it is sad to see F product go but maybe we can expect the new Business class to pick up some of the service previously reserved for first only.

However the old F class seating will probably be around on their 747's until around 2020.
I heard from a previous thread they need to extend the a340's life a few extra years so this will lengthen the 747's life span for another couple of years to 5-6 years max from today. By this time i am pretty sure we will be happy to see them go as they will be falling apart from old age.

I really hope by then they update their old a330's cabin this will need a revamp in the next 2-4 years (Apart from the last 4-6 newest deliveries). I can't see them leaving the fleet until 2025-2030.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by username
- 777-300 ER (delivery starts September) to have SkyCouch like NZ (licensed from NZ), Premium Economy, Lie-Flat J and No F

I am guessing "空中梳化" means Sky Sofa and "梳化" is how Kong Kong translated Sofa to Chinese rather than the "沙發" used in Taiwan?
They use "空中梳化" because it is a trademark. CI is actually licensing the product and the marketing term from NZ so they have to use NZ's prefer nomenclature.

The article actually has a lot of other nuggets of info:

1. Long haul passengers accounts for 10% of all travelers ex-TPE
2. CI will add 3 or 4 new destinations in China, 1 or 2 new destinations in Japan, and 1 new destination in Korea this year.
3. CI apparently believe Chinese Govt will soon allow Chinese citizens to transit in Taiwan so CI is very interested in adding more services to the B and C level provincial cities in China, which have limited international service.
4. CI believes cargo market will pick up and will not send any more 747F to storage (currently 18 active, 3 stored).
5. CI projects LCC will be 35% of the Taiwan market in 5 years.
6. AE will focus on short haul, high demand international routes to differentiate from Tiger Air Taiwan. I interpret that to mean AE will takeover some regional Southeast Asia/Japan routes from CI while Tiger Air takes over low yield pure leisure destinations (e.g. Guam, Okinawa) from both AE and CI.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:25 pm
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by bzcat
They use "空中梳化" because it is a trademark. CI is actually licensing the product and the marketing term from NZ so they have to use NZ's prefer nomenclature.

The article actually has a lot of other nuggets of info:

1. Long haul passengers accounts for 10% of all travelers ex-TPE
2. CI will add 3 or 4 new destinations in China, 1 or 2 new destinations in Japan, and 1 new destination in Korea this year.
3. CI apparently believe Chinese Govt will soon allow Chinese citizens to transit in Taiwan so CI is very interested in adding more services to the B and C level provincial cities in China, which have limited international service.
4. CI believes cargo market will pick up and will not send any more 747F to storage (currently 18 active, 3 stored).
5. CI projects LCC will be 35% of the Taiwan market in 5 years.
6. AE will focus on short haul, high demand international routes to differentiate from Tiger Air Taiwan. I interpret that to mean AE will takeover some regional Southeast Asia/Japan routes from CI while Tiger Air takes over low yield pure leisure destinations (e.g. Guam, Okinawa) from both AE and CI.
Just to add on, CI has always planned, and intend to remain, AE as a brand for central Taiwan market (i.e. ex-Taichung).

I think they also mentioned they will focused more on Southern and Southwestern China where they have greater geographic advantages in competing for transit pax.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
They keep AE mainly for the bilateral and route negotiations (just like BR keeping B7), nothing much... but at least they are operating AE out of Taichung and trying to make something out of that market.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bzcat
I see. It is just a strange arrangement - especially they are not even alliance partners. I wonder if NZ will license it to others and if others can ever do something like SkyCouch without being sued.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:37 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
That means 10-abreast seating? Not nice for the solo traveller.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:33 am
Accor Contributor Badge

To early to tell if it is 10 abreast or not.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:16 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by tris06
To early to tell if it is 10 abreast or not.
More than less likely given they are licencing the product - otherwise they have to retool?

But to be finalised when the 77W is accepted into service, of course.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 5:45 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Well at least prices should be low if the intend it to be like a sardine can.
Would premium economy have its own cabin.. or just joined in front of economy with a curtain?

Last edited by tris06; Jan 8, 2014 at 8:32 am
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
China Airlines have made an effort ten years ago to get up there with CX and SG and done nothing since, they are now a 3rd division carrier and looks like they will remain one.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:31 am
Accor Contributor Badge

And Mayodave should get banned because everything thing he says is just crap. Like a guy having a rant every so often. Guy should get a life.

Their 1 step behind the major's like SQ and CX (in hardware) but then the price difference between tickets is reasonable... Service i would say some area's is on the same level or slightly lacking compared to those 2 mentioned before.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I see. It is just a strange arrangement - especially they are not even alliance partners. I wonder if NZ will license it to others and if others can ever do something like SkyCouch without being sued.
I'm pretty sure NZ patented the concept as well as the actual product so no one can use it without licensing it.

Originally Posted by percysmith
More than less likely given they are licencing the product - otherwise they have to retool?

But to be finalised when the 77W is accepted into service, of course.
It depends on what exactly CI licensed I suppose. SkyCouch only affects the seats on either side so the middle seats are not affected. So in theory, you could still have 3-3-3 and have SkyCouch. But I doubt that is the case. CI is probably using the same exact Y interior as NZ so 3-4-3. Honestly, it would be a financially irresponsible decision for any airline just getting 777-300ER now to install 9 abreast Y cabin.

Last edited by bzcat; Jan 8, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.