Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wandering_fred
'Upgrade' (or 'Get Upgraded' or 'Upgrade Yourself') is UL's implementation of Plusgrade's bid on an upgrade platform.
  • You can check if your itinerary is eligible for bidding on an upgrade (most are) on UL's website here, but it typically takes 24-48 hours after the ticket is issued for the itinerary to be in Plusgrade's system
  • You cannot bid for flights departing within 72 hours
  • Minimum bids are dynamically set based on various factors, and don't appear to change as you get closer to flight departure
  • Tip: If you're bidding the minimum, you should always make the bid in USD unless bidding in your home currency avoids credit card costs that are higher than the difference in pricing (see this post)
  • Bid amounts can be changed or withdrawn up to 72 hours from flight departure. It does not appear that you can update the credit card number
  • Accepted bids will be processed within the 72 hours window, generally prior to 40-48 hours to departure
  • If your bid is accepted:
    • The credit card will be charged
    • You will be rebooked in "I" class
    • You will receive an email notification from Plusgrade
    • You will receive an email with your new eTicket from the airline
  • Currently, your mileage accrual is based on the class you've been rebooked into, not the one from your original ticket
  • Please read UL's FAQs

{29 Mar 2017}
I ended up with an UL itinerary where the first flight was sold out. Seemingly as a result I did not receive an email suggesting I bid for an upgrade, even though the other flight was "open". I received a link from UL reservations which is a variation on the FAQ link (above), but allows you to enter the PNR and your name and it will bring up the bid-to-upgrade option.
Link to the PNR bid to upgrade option
Note: If you are using cut & paste - the upgrade page does NOT like leading or trailing blanks in the PNR.
Print Wikipost

Sri Lankan Airlines - upgrade yourself

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Gold, QF Gold, Accor Platinum

Has anyone used this function and been successful?

If you have, could you give me an indication on what your route was and your successful bid?

Anyone not been successful?
Cheers
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:22 am

Programs: QR Platinum / SQ Gold

Flew last October BKK-CMB-PAR-CMB-BKK. I tried to upgrade all flight with the lowest bet, 1 & 4 leg each USD 100 and 2 & 3 leg each USD 350. Was just successful on the BKK-CMB leg for USD 100. In Paris at the check-in counter there was a signboard that you can upgrade the flight from Paris to Colombo for EUR 450, though a bit expensive, better buy a C Class ticket from the beginning.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 3:20 pm

For a moment, the title of this thread (and being unfamiliar with the scheme) suggests that one can walk right up from Y to J in-flight and just sit there!
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
For a moment, the title of this thread (and being unfamiliar with the scheme) suggests that one can walk right up from Y to J in-flight and just sit there!

Well, yes! But not you and not at UL.

Have a look at the TG forum. It's done by so called TIPs and they go a step further. From Y directly to F.

Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Yenakad
... better buy a C Class ticket from the beginning.
This is how I upgrade myself all the time. The secret is just to hit the right button during the booking process. This button is labled "Business" and voila you fly business class. Easy!
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Has anyone tried this more recently? I've booked a cheapie CMB-COK-CMB ticket. It's only a short flight so no problem at all to be in Y, but the system will allow me to make a bid as low as USD50, which might be worth it for the hell of it (and to have a nicer place to while away a couple of hours at CMB, as we will probably be arriving extra early).

I wonder what our chances are of $50 bids clearing (given that J is wide open at the moment)? And what would we get on such a short flight? I suspect a hot meal and bar service, but it would be great if anyone could confirm for sure.

If I do end up bidding, I'll report back on my progress...
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:39 am

Programs: BA, QR status varies from rags to riches - now gold, IHG Diamond Elite
I have had success with UL 'bid for an upgrade' It is discussed in more detail Here

I am planning another next week with my family. If any FT'er have access to ExpertFlyer or any other way of checking loads, could someone please let me know the number of seats available in business class:

DOH / CMB - UL0218 - 19Dec

and

CMB / DOH - UL0217 - 26Dec

Many thanks

Grantosol
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:00 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Originally Posted by Grantosol
I have had success with UL 'bid for an upgrade' It is discussed in more detail Here
Thanks for posting your experience with bidding for upgrades - glad to hear you were successful. How did you find the service on the shorter business class sectors? And did you receive your BA tier points in the end?

Originally Posted by Grantosol
I am planning another next week with my family. If any FT'er have access to ExpertFlyer or any other way of checking loads, could someone please let me know the number of seats available in business class:

DOH / CMB - UL0218 - 19Dec

and

CMB / DOH - UL0217 - 26Dec

Many thanks

Grantosol
Re your question about loads, here's how those flights are looking:

UL 218 0 DOH 12/19/14 10:40 PM CMB 12/20/14 5:50 AM 343
J5 C4 D0 I0 Y9 B9 P9 H6 K0 W0 M0 E0 L0 R0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
Seat map shows 10/24 J seats unassigned

UL 217 0 CMB 12/26/14 6:50 PM DOH 12/26/14 9:25 PM 343
J9 C9 D9 I9 Y9 B9 P9 H9 K9 W9 M9 E9 L9 R9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9
Seat map shows 17/18 J seats unoccupied

Good luck!
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:06 am

Programs: BA, QR status varies from rags to riches - now gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Thanks Mad_Atta

The service on the shorter sectors was to be honest quite hit and miss. Meals really aren't anything special, similarly with wines. The staff were attentive which was nice. On the short sectors, the seats were old style wide business class seats with very limited recline, certainly not sleepers. On the DOH-CMB sectors, I had a flat bed one way and slopey seat on the return

My miles did not land in my BA account. Claimed online. 3 out of four sectors have posted, one is still outstanding after several weeks

Overall, it is nothing special, but as business class upgrades go, they are great value

Grantosol
Old Dec 8, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
Booked cheap flight HKG-BKK for 2 people early November and bid US100 each to upgrade to business class. Upgrade came through and there were still around 8 seats vacant.

I have only flown Sri Lankan airlines twice and both times in business class on this sector. Upgrade to business class for US100 is good value for money.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by mad_atta
... I've booked a cheapie CMB-COK-CMB ticket. It's only a short flight so no problem at all to be in Y, but the system will allow me to make a bid as low as USD50, which might be worth it for the hell of it ...
I've made the COK-CMB-COK trip a few times this year and finding that the price for business class is often only US$80-US$120 higher than economy for the entire round trip I buy the business class seat.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle
I've made the COK-CMB-COK trip a few times this year and finding that the price for business class is often only US$80-US$120 higher than economy for the entire round trip I buy the business class seat.
The price difference was AUD300 more for a rt in biz so that didn't seem like good value for the distance. I might lob in a cheeky $50 bid and see what happens - nothing ventured, nothing gained!

How have you found the short-haul biz service? Do they serve a proper meal? And is there full bar service (e.g. G&T) or just wine and beer?

I'd be very happy in coach too, I'm just intrigued to know what their shorthaul biz product is like, and it would be nice to have lounge access and free drinks at CMB. I can't imagine there's much in the way of lounge options at COK?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:53 am

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by mad_atta
The price difference was AUD300 more for a rt in biz so that didn't seem like good value for the distance. I might lob in a cheeky $50 bid and see what happens - nothing ventured, nothing gained!

How have you found the short-haul biz service? Do they serve a proper meal? And is there full bar service (e.g. G&T) or just wine and beer?

I'd be very happy in coach too, I'm just intrigued to know what their shorthaul biz product is like, and it would be nice to have lounge access and free drinks at CMB. I can't imagine there's much in the way of lounge options at COK?
I concur with you in that AUD300 is not a good value for the short distance.

I've taken the 9:45 AM flights COK-CMB and returned a few days later on the 7:25 AM CMB-COK flights both of which are morning breakfast flights (don't know if they serve anything in economy) on an Airbus 320. Seats are angled and not sleeper type. I've not asked for alcoholic drinks on the flight as I'm a teetotaler.

At COK UL provides access to a shared lounge one floor above the departure level and overlooking the tarmac and it has a reasonable selection of breakfast items.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

Just adding a couple of data points to the thread.

I've upgraded CMB-SIN a couple of times with the minimum USD100 bids- once on a light load and the other time when inventory was zero (or close) in all fare buckets.

And last week, SIN-CMB for USD125. They've upped the minimum bid levels.

Lounge access and luggage allowance are not really an issue given my oneworld status, so I try to upgrade when I need a bit of shuteye.

Oh and I've also been op-up'd a couple of times- was good to see that it's not 'UL frequent fliers only'.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets
Just adding a couple of data points to the thread.

I've upgraded CMB-SIN a couple of times with the minimum USD100 bids- once on a light load and the other time when inventory was zero (or close) in all fare buckets.

And last week, SIN-CMB for USD125. They've upped the minimum bid levels.

Lounge access and luggage allowance are not really an issue given my oneworld status, so I try to upgrade when I need a bit of shuteye.

Oh and I've also been op-up'd a couple of times- was good to see that it's not 'UL frequent fliers only'.
You seem to have taken this route alot. How are the SIN-CMB UL aircraft? Still the decrepit A340s? Good enough for shut eye?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.