Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wandering_fred
'Upgrade' (or 'Get Upgraded' or 'Upgrade Yourself') is UL's implementation of Plusgrade's bid on an upgrade platform.
  • You can check if your itinerary is eligible for bidding on an upgrade (most are) on UL's website here, but it typically takes 24-48 hours after the ticket is issued for the itinerary to be in Plusgrade's system
  • You cannot bid for flights departing within 72 hours
  • Minimum bids are dynamically set based on various factors, and don't appear to change as you get closer to flight departure
  • Tip: If you're bidding the minimum, you should always make the bid in USD unless bidding in your home currency avoids credit card costs that are higher than the difference in pricing (see this post)
  • Bid amounts can be changed or withdrawn up to 72 hours from flight departure. It does not appear that you can update the credit card number
  • Accepted bids will be processed within the 72 hours window, generally prior to 40-48 hours to departure
  • If your bid is accepted:
    • The credit card will be charged
    • You will be rebooked in "I" class
    • You will receive an email notification from Plusgrade
    • You will receive an email with your new eTicket from the airline
  • Currently, your mileage accrual is based on the class you've been rebooked into, not the one from your original ticket
  • Please read UL's FAQs

{29 Mar 2017}
I ended up with an UL itinerary where the first flight was sold out. Seemingly as a result I did not receive an email suggesting I bid for an upgrade, even though the other flight was "open". I received a link from UL reservations which is a variation on the FAQ link (above), but allows you to enter the PNR and your name and it will bring up the bid-to-upgrade option.
Link to the PNR bid to upgrade option
Note: If you are using cut & paste - the upgrade page does NOT like leading or trailing blanks in the PNR.
Print Wikipost

Sri Lankan Airlines - upgrade yourself

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:41 pm

Hey Fred,
I am flying RUH-CMB on 4th April and flying back CMB-RUH on 8th April.
I have put the min bid of 135 USD one way per person, for 4 of us.
What are the odds?

Many thanks

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
It always is useful to check the flight loadings (or what fare classes are still available for sale) before considering bids. I have an upcoming UL flight which either shows J1 or the J cabin closed, depending on how I look it up. Don't think any bid will be useful on that flight.

The other thing is that the A320s have a lot fewer J seats than the A330s...

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by FishBurger
Hey Fred,
I am flying RUH-CMB on 4th April and flying back CMB-RUH on 8th April.
I have put the min bid of 135 USD one way per person, for 4 of us.
What are the odds?
Many thanks
UL 266 04/04 J4 C4 D4 I7
UL 265 04/08 JC CC DC IC

I think that you can forget 08 April fare class and waitlist closed.
For the 4th, hard to say as I normally would bid at least one step up from the minimum. I class still being offered is a plus...

I suspect Riyadh has changed since I was there a bit more than 25 years ago

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:25 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.
When you say that 8th April is closed,there is no benefit to increase the bid, right ?
While there is still one week to travel, what are the odds of 4th April ?

If you dont mind, what is the difference between these J, C, D & I class ?
Is it possible that if there are 2 seats available, and we are 4, they upgrade 2 of us ?

Once again, I truely appreciate your help.

UL 266 04/04 J4 C4 D4 I7
UL 265 04/08 JC CC DC IC

I think that you can forget 08 April fare class and waitlist closed.
For the 4th, hard to say as I normally would bid at least one step up from the minimum. I class still being offered is a plus...

I suspect Riyadh has changed since I was there a bit more than 25 years ago

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:49 am

Thanks for the quick reply.
When you say that 8th April is closed,there is no benefit to increase the bid, right ?
While there is still one week to travel, what are the odds of 4th April ?

If you dont mind, what is the difference between these J, C, D & I class ?
Is it possible that if there are 2 seats available, and we are 4, they upgrade 2 of us ?

Once again, I truely appreciate your help.
JCDI are the four fare classes that UL will sell for the flight, most expensive to cheapest. Note if they sell a D class ticket I will almost certainly be reduced by 1. Quite possible all biz classes will be reduced by 1. ATM, UL will sell at least 4 in all business classes. With I class being available, most of the time upgrade bidding would NOT be a lost cause. No guarantees, of course. Each airline publishes a maximum number of seats shown for sale. If 4 is the max, there may be more available.

If the cabin is closed, they are not willing to sell ANY seats in the cabin. There may be a seat available, but TAs and (likely) online will not see it offered.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:25 am

Great info for newbies like me.
Cheers

JCDI are the four fare classes that UL will sell for the flight, most expensive to cheapest. Note if they sell a D class ticket I will almost certainly be reduced by 1. Quite possible all biz classes will be reduced by 1. ATM, UL will sell at least 4 in all business classes. With I class being available, most of the time upgrade bidding would NOT be a lost cause. No guarantees, of course. Each airline publishes a maximum number of seats shown for sale. If 4 is the max, there may be more available.

If the cabin is closed, they are not willing to sell ANY seats in the cabin. There may be a seat available, but TAs and (likely) online will not see it offered.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:48 pm

04 Apr RUH-CMB is now wide open J9 C9 D9 I9
08 Apr CMB-RUh has "reopened" but night as well be closed J1 C0 D0 I0

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:12 pm

Thanks Man,
Kindly keep me in the loop.
Much appreciated.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:09 pm

ANy further changes in the last 24 hours?

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:40 am

ANy further changes in the last 24 hours?
Not on your flights, but it certainly looks like I'll be sitting in Y on mine...

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:15 am

I am assuming Y class is economy class.?

Not on your flights, but it certainly looks like I'll be sitting in Y on mine...

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:29 pm

Hey Fred,
Its 60 hours left for my flight and no notification left. I am losing hope for an upgrade.
Normally when does the upgrade confirmation comes? Exactly at 48 hours or anytime when they decide to sell ?

How is the situation of the seats?

Cheers
FB

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: free agent
Will purchase a OW BKK-CMB ticket (probably cheapest fare), and it'll be on A330. I'm curious what's minimum price UL will offer for this flight?

Cheapest fare = $214 and J fare = $479. If bidding price is too steep, then probably make sense to buy J fare. Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:26 am

My CMB-DOH flight was J2D1 at 72 hours out. I got the upgrade with a bid of US$150. There was at least one empty seat in the cabin.

BKK-CMB may be slightly more competitive as it is part of the HKG-BKK-CMB flight, but hardly work bidding more than US$200 (or less) given the flight times.

Alas it will be a while before I fly UL again, even though I did get a offer/suggestion to join FlySmiles.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Plat
Thumbs up No success but impressed with UL

Just completed our first ever UL flight, a single BKK to CMB (we were on our way back to UK: HKG-BKK-CMB//CMB-DOH-OSL-LHR). Most of the itinerary was on QR J. Anyway, bid US$150pp for the Y BKK-CMB leg but no success! However I have to say the UL Y leg was one of the best Y flights I have taken....helped by excellent CC.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Just curious whether folks have recently had success with this program on flights ticketed by other airlines--in particular AA (001)? I saw a report early in the thread (from 2014), but nothing recent, and the web page currently states very explicitly that it is not, if I am interpreting it correctly (and they really mean ticketed as opposed to marketed, i.e., code shares):

Please Note
1. Passengers holding other Airline tickets and traveling on SriLankan Airlines are not eligible to bid.
3. The system may accept bids using other Airline tickets, however such bids will not be processed.
http://www.srilankan.com/en_uk/flyin...grade-yourself

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.