Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wandering_fred
'Upgrade' (or 'Get Upgraded' or 'Upgrade Yourself') is UL's implementation of Plusgrade's bid on an upgrade platform.
  • You can check if your itinerary is eligible for bidding on an upgrade (most are) on UL's website here, but it typically takes 24-48 hours after the ticket is issued for the itinerary to be in Plusgrade's system
  • You cannot bid for flights departing within 72 hours
  • Minimum bids are dynamically set based on various factors, and don't appear to change as you get closer to flight departure
  • Tip: If you're bidding the minimum, you should always make the bid in USD unless bidding in your home currency avoids credit card costs that are higher than the difference in pricing (see this post)
  • Bid amounts can be changed or withdrawn up to 72 hours from flight departure. It does not appear that you can update the credit card number
  • Accepted bids will be processed within the 72 hours window, generally prior to 40-48 hours to departure
  • If your bid is accepted:
    • The credit card will be charged
    • You will be rebooked in "I" class
    • You will receive an email notification from Plusgrade
    • You will receive an email with your new eTicket from the airline
  • Currently, your mileage accrual is based on the class you've been rebooked into, not the one from your original ticket
  • Please read UL's FAQs

{29 Mar 2017}
I ended up with an UL itinerary where the first flight was sold out. Seemingly as a result I did not receive an email suggesting I bid for an upgrade, even though the other flight was "open". I received a link from UL reservations which is a variation on the FAQ link (above), but allows you to enter the PNR and your name and it will bring up the bid-to-upgrade option.
Link to the PNR bid to upgrade option
Note: If you are using cut & paste - the upgrade page does NOT like leading or trailing blanks in the PNR.
Print Wikipost

Sri Lankan Airlines - upgrade yourself

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:06 am

Hi everyone,
I've found this thread great reading so thanks to everyone who's contributed - I was hoping someone with access to whether business class seats have all been bought up already or not could be kind and check availability for:

10 Feb 2016 SriLankan Airlines Flight UL504 Airbus A330-300
London - Colombo

and

23 Feb 2016 SriLankan Airlines Flight UL503 Airbus A330-300
Colombo to London

Many thanks in advance!
Charlie
Old May 12, 2016, 2:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
Hello everyone! This is a great thread!

I recently flew from Colombo to Shanghai Pudong (May 9). My boyfriend and I bid for this leg and our bid was accepted. Strange thing is that our new booking reference is 'Z', not 'I' as many of you have mentioned here.

So I am a bit worried as I credited the miles earn to Marco Polo/Asia Miles and they don't recognize 'Z' booking class for business class. They do recognize 'I' though. FYI, before the upgrade, my booking class was 'V' which is also recognize by Asiamiles and Marco Polo.

So far, nothing has happened with my Asiamiles as I expect it will take a while for the miles to be credited. But should Asiamiles not credit the miles to my account, do I have a strong ground to object and ask for the miles?

I hope you guys can share your experience / some information about this.

Many thanks!
Old May 12, 2016, 3:10 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Is Z the booking class (showing as 'business (Z)' in manage my booking), or the booking reference (like 6 digit Amadeus reference number, e.g. ZBRCC6- that does not change when they rebook, afaik)?

Not done the upgrade thing in while, but never seen booking class Z on UL!

Don't know flysmiles-their program, but I suspect that award biz class books into U..so Z could, possibly, be an entirely new ball game.

CX MPC/Asiamiles take 2-4 weeks to post UL flights, btw. Worst case you could try to get a credit for the original booking class...

Originally Posted by rienhart87
Hello everyone! This is a great thread!

I recently flew from Colombo to Shanghai Pudong (May 9). My boyfriend and I bid for this leg and our bid was accepted. Strange thing is that our new booking reference is 'Z', not 'I' as many of you have mentioned here.

So I am a bit worried as I credited the miles earn to Marco Polo/Asia Miles and they don't recognize 'Z' booking class for business class. They do recognize 'I' though. FYI, before the upgrade, my booking class was 'V' which is also recognize by Asiamiles and Marco Polo.

So far, nothing has happened with my Asiamiles as I expect it will take a while for the miles to be credited. But should Asiamiles not credit the miles to my account, do I have a strong ground to object and ask for the miles?

I hope you guys can share your experience / some information about this.

Many thanks!
Old May 12, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Is Z the booking class (showing as 'business (Z)' in manage my booking), or the booking reference (like 6 digit Amadeus reference number, e.g. ZBRCC6- that does not change when they rebook, afaik)?

Not done the upgrade thing in while, but never seen booking class Z on UL!

Don't know flysmiles-their program, but I suspect that award biz class books into U..so Z could, possibly, be an entirely new ball game.

CX MPC/Asiamiles take 2-4 weeks to post UL flights, btw. Worst case you could try to get a credit for the original booking class...
It is showing Z. I know that MH used to have Z as their business promo fare and I successfully received the miles in my AsiaMiles account. So I hope Asiamiles will do the same with UL.

But like you said, I will wait for 2-4 weeks and let's see what happens. Thanks for your reply!
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:16 am

Hi everyone, I am new here.

I have one way flight from London to Colombo on 7th January 2017.
I asked about the upgrade to business class and at the moment the minimum bidding price is over 700 Euros/person.

Any experiences, how much have you paid London-Colombo -upgrade? The flight is UL504.
Thanks everyone for help.

-TiaMaria
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: OWP, *G, IHG Spire, HH Diam., McD FF Plat.
Another data point:

SIN-CMB, late July. Bid of $230 not accepted. Flight had at least 2 J seats open.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:51 pm

Programs: QR Platinum / SQ Gold
Originally Posted by rienhart87
It is showing Z. I know that MH used to have Z as their business promo fare and I successfully received the miles in my AsiaMiles account. So I hope Asiamiles will do the same with UL.

But like you said, I will wait for 2-4 weeks and let's see what happens. Thanks for your reply!
Any update if miles will be credited from Biz class? I fly UL and want to bid for upgrade only if I get the miles to QR account. Thanks for latest information
Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: QR Gold / OW Sapphire, Le Club Accor Gold, Shangri La Jade
Originally Posted by Yenakad
Any update if miles will be credited from Biz class? I fly UL and want to bid for upgrade only if I get the miles to QR account. Thanks for latest information

I have previously used the upgrade auction feature with UL and had the miles and Q points posted to my QR PC account to reflect the upgraded travel class

Route: CMB-BKK UL402 Upgrade bid: $140

Miles posted to QR account: 1853 Qpoints: 16
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
MLE-CMB

booked a one-way coach fare MLE-CMB for $175. Put in an upgrade bid of $130 about 10 days prior to departure.

Bid was accepted, but didn't get the email until about 28 hours prior to departure. Seat map was fairly open.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 9:59 am

Trying to upgrade a BA Avios booking from DEL-CMB, says I am not eligible for an upgrade. I am still able to log into my reservation through the Sri Lanka website. Anyone else have this problem? Booked flight 1 months ago, will be flying in 3 months 12/16 seats open
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
SIN-CMB at the civilized time (afternoon not 0400)
min bid US$150
to purchase new seat = the cheap biz seats are gone though still J4.

I'll pass on this one I think as I have a couple more flights coming up shortly that are still wide open.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:30 am

DOH-CMB successful at $180 min $150
CMB-CGK successful at $195 min $150

Resolution: don't try to look at upgrade pages on my touch screen phone..... even if all you want to do is see if the minimum had been raised....

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Mar 18, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I'm flying CMB-BKK and about 2 weeks before departure, received an E-mail that the minimum Upgrade Yourself bid was reduced by 25% for a limited time. I'd be surprised if this is flight-specific, partly because it says offer is only available until 31 March (and I fly before then) and partly because the lowest available booking class for business is C, and has been for a while. Will put in a minimal bid and see what happens. Anyone else get a similar offer in the past?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I'm flying CMB-BKK and about 2 weeks before departure, received an E-mail that the minimum Upgrade Yourself bid was reduced by 25% for a limited time. I'd be surprised if this is flight-specific, partly because it says offer is only available until 31 March (and I fly before then) and partly because the lowest available booking class for business is C, and has been for a while. Will put in a minimal bid and see what happens. Anyone else get a similar offer in the past?
Surprisingly, my bid of around USD 120 was accepted CMB-BKK. Nice flight on an A330 with lie-flat seats. The only J seats available for sale a few days before the upgrade notice were around USD 1,000, which makes me think few seats were available and not many tried to purchase an update considering my lowball offer.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:51 pm

It always is useful to check the flight loadings (or what fare classes are still available for sale) before considering bids. I have an upcoming UL flight which either shows J1 or the J cabin closed, depending on how I look it up. Don't think any bid will be useful on that flight.

The other thing is that the A320s have a lot fewer J seats than the A330s...

Happy wandering

Fred

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.