Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam Airlines to increase LGW operation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Vietnam are increasing to 3 weekly London Gatwick - Ho Chi Minh from 14th April. So one presumes the route is working for them.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:00 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...elsewhere.html I will move this to the appropriate airline forum.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:43 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by jaseuk
Vietnam are increasing to 3 weekly London Gatwick - Ho Chi Minh from 14th April. So one presumes the route is working for them.
They are adding 1 weekly flight (3 x SGN & 2 x HAN) but are changing the current 4 weekly non-stop to 5 weekly flights via Frankfurt, thus merging the German & UK flights.

They also face a possible BA 787 as competition in 2014 - one of the more 'rumoured' of the new Asian routes.

Signs that it's not working i'd say. But also good that they are not giving up on the UK. Gatwick will be grateful as they are losing HK Airlines & Korean Airlines - seems two steps forward, one step back for them with long haul.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:21 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
In the UK, I'm not far from LGW. But I fly EVA LHR-(BKK)-TPE-SGN. Flying VNA LGW-SGN seems like cheating so I haven't done it yet. It would all be over too quickly.

It would be great if more Asian carriers could fly from Gatwick. In fact, EVA started with Gatwick until they could get the slots at Heathrow.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by jimbo99
In the UK, I'm not far from LGW. But I fly EVA LHR-(BKK)-TPE-SGN. Flying VNA LGW-SGN seems like cheating so I haven't done it yet. It would all be over too quickly.

It would be great if more Asian carriers could fly from Gatwick. In fact, EVA started with Gatwick until they could get the slots at Heathrow.
An extra 6 hour flying time and compulsory overnight in TPE as VN seems too easy

That's commitment to EVA's FFP! (I did spot your location though )

Gatwick is awesome though. I flew HK Airlines. Off the flight, through immigratiom and onto the train in 7 1/2 minutes. (Sorry., I mean platform, obviously the train was delayed).
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

BA will open lots of Far East routes once the aircraft start being delivered.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
They are adding 1 weekly flight (3 x SGN & 2 x HAN) but are changing the current 4 weekly non-stop to 5 weekly flights via Frankfurt, thus merging the German & UK flights.
VN is not merging FRA and LGW flights. LGW service operated as 1-stop flight in Summer 2012 as well.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by jimyvr
VN is not merging FRA and LGW flights. LGW service operated as 1-stop flight in Summer 2012 as well.
You are right - I had read that all flights are being merged. But checking now I see from 28 June flights go back to being non-stop.

But at the same time they revert to 4 weekly flights, so the extra flight appears to only be covering the period when flights are combined with Frankfurt flights from 14th April - 28 June.

So it's as you were really - no increase in flights.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
You are right - I had read that all flights are being merged. But checking now I see from 28 June flights go back to being non-stop.

But at the same time they revert to 4 weekly flights, so the extra flight appears to only be covering the period when flights are combined with Frankfurt flights from 14th April - 28 June.

So it's as you were really - no increase in flights.
The 3rd weekly is also operating in Sep/Oct 2013.
VN is not combining nor merging FRA/LGW flight. Not sure where you got the impression of this.

Last edited by jimyvr; Dec 13, 2012 at 6:28 pm
Old Dec 14, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
I feel VN should re-align it's European route network, and focus on more SkyTeam HUB's to enhance connectivity to make it more competitive in SE Asia. For example possibly opening up some kind of European-Asian JV with AF/KL/AZ. These carriers are more likely to open up SGN, AF decided to stop HAN and opted to enhanced SGN as an example and strengthened it's relationship with VN via a code-share agreement. VN also already code-shares with AZ & KL too on various routes.

VN should focus more on SGN's operations as a HUB, it's in an ideal position in SE Asia for maximum connectivity to MNL, CGK, SIN, BKK, KUL & Indochina etc...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.