Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 8, 12, 12:05 am   #1
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus)
Posts: 263
6 777-300er's china airlines

Announced yesterday in Taipei times and global flight. No dates about when to be delivered.But i suspect as its a matured product line. Though could they get the updated version i heard about? 2016-1017 delivered.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...300ers-379908/

My other thought is these 6 will have the only first class seating in the fleet. And the 350's to do the rest of the a340 and 747 work. So flat beds in all business by 2018 maybe.

Last edited by tris06; Dec 8, 12 at 12:23 am..
tris06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 12, 2:14 am   #2
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: 35,000 Ft above Earth
Programs: UA Premier Gold, CX Marco Polo, CI Dynasty Gold; Hilton HHonors, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
Posts: 564
Just saw the news.
It's about time. Maybe we'll see non-stop TPE-JFK soon.
Too bad it's not taking the B787 for thin non-stop long-haul like TPE-IAH, TPE-LHR, TPE-FCO,...
jazzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 12, 2:18 am   #3
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CAN, LAX, TPE
Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Posts: 1,472
New articles are indicating it will be increased to 10 later on

With possibilities of more aircraft orders coming from CI... not just 77W.
__________________
Google Doc for info on Airlines in Taiwan - Last Update: 2013/11/12
coolfish1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 12, 4:47 am   #4
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus)
Posts: 263
787

The 787 has a longer backlog of orders. Stetching back to 2018-2019. The airline needs planes asap. Thats why the 777-300er order happened instead of the a350-1000.

What orders likely to come? I thought they finished recieving the a330 with 18359 but instead they have another 2 to come. Maybe more leased or bought a330's. Especially with the extended range coming in 2015. And some 737-800's.

Last edited by tris06; Dec 8, 12 at 5:02 am..
tris06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 12, 1:07 pm   #5
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 4,733
It sort of worries me that they are starting to split their fleet again. Just as they settle on the 744, 737 and A3xx fleet, they are getting a new type -- and an ETOPS type. Maybe it is because I still don't have full confidence in their maintenance and training capabilities...

The 787 might be too small for them and it does not seem their target is thinner long haul routes with maybe the exception of TPE-LHR.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 12, 2:02 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SFO/SJC/OAK
Programs: CI Gold
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
It sort of worries me that they are starting to split their fleet again. Just as they settle on the 744, 737 and A3xx fleet, they are getting a new type -- and an ETOPS type. Maybe it is because I still don't have full confidence in their maintenance and training capabilities...

The 787 might be too small for them and it does not seem their target is thinner long haul routes with maybe the exception of TPE-LHR.
The A350 is an ETOPS type as well.

Having both the A359 and the 77W makes no sense to me.
lolstebbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 12, 6:10 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CAN, LAX, TPE
Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
It sort of worries me that they are starting to split their fleet again. Just as they settle on the 744, 737 and A3xx fleet, they are getting a new type -- and an ETOPS type. Maybe it is because I still don't have full confidence in their maintenance and training capabilities...
If it's going to crash, it's going to crash.

Don't fly with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolstebbo View Post
The A350 is an ETOPS type as well.

Having both the A359 and the 77W makes no sense to me.
I don't think they can wait anymore with BR putting in RL on the 77Ws. Their 744 refurbish was pretty much a fail (though better than nothing) w/4 engines and less range (unable to get to JFK non-stop).
__________________
Google Doc for info on Airlines in Taiwan - Last Update: 2013/11/12
coolfish1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 12, 10:59 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Programs: DL Gold, UA "under-entitled" Gold (bye 1K), CX Silver, SPG Gold
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
It sort of worries me that they are starting to split their fleet again. Just as they settle on the 744, 737 and A3xx fleet, they are getting a new type -- and an ETOPS type. Maybe it is because I still don't have full confidence in their maintenance and training capabilities...

The 787 might be too small for them and it does not seem their target is thinner long haul routes with maybe the exception of TPE-LHR.
CI's 330s and 738s already have 120 minutes ETOPS.
mckerrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 12, 1:45 am   #9
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus)
Posts: 263
I am not a picky fellow. I dont consider the refubish a fail if they only intend to keep them till 2016-2017. Why spend more money when they will be retired. It probably would have been better they just replaced with that money than refurbish. Still i am satisfied for a couple of years as long as the price is low.
tris06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 12, 10:39 am   #10
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,065
Finally! What is taking CI so long to get a modern fleet? They keep "refurbishing" the oldies (which is basically like putting lipstick on a pig). Now they can finally introduce NON-STOP service from JFK-TPE.
blackmamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 12, 11:06 am   #11
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SFO/SJC/OAK
Programs: CI Gold
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfish1103 View Post
I don't think they can wait anymore with BR putting in RL on the 77Ws. Their 744 refurbish was pretty much a fail (though better than nothing) w/4 engines and less range (unable to get to JFK non-stop).
Knowing CI, I don't think the cabin product for their 77Ws (or A359s, for that matter) will be much better than what they refurbed their 744s with. Of the seats Sogerma had to offer for C class, they just had to chose the less-competitive of the two.
lolstebbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 12, 12:49 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CAN, LAX, TPE
Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by tris06 View Post
I am not a picky fellow. I dont consider the refubish a fail if they only intend to keep them till 2016-2017. Why spend more money when they will be retired. It probably would have been better they just replaced with that money than refurbish. Still i am satisfied for a couple of years as long as the price is low.
It's not like they spent less $ or time getting this sorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolstebbo View Post
Knowing CI, I don't think the cabin product for their 77Ws (or A359s, for that matter) will be much better than what they refurbed their 744s with. Of the seats Sogerma had to offer for C class, they just had to chose the less-competitive of the two.
Well, they have to at least roll out a product that's comparable to BR's Royal on the 77W (not sure on the 359 cause it's been a while since the order), otherwise they are just shooting themselves. The two Taiwanese airlines usually copy each other to the minimum so I would expect to see lie flat seats on CI, just not sure if it's going to be the same as BR's.

The question is if CI is dumping First? I hope not and want to see CX's suites style on their fleet. Six suites are more than enough to complement the cabin with 1-2-1 reverse herringbone business class and 33" economy. This way they will at least have a product that's comparable to their rival and differentiate the market (Suites vs. Premium Economy).

I just hope I won't see Premium Economy on CI
__________________
Google Doc for info on Airlines in Taiwan - Last Update: 2013/11/12
coolfish1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 12, 2:32 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus)
Posts: 263
The news reported long time ago the a350-900's would be flat beds for business. I doubt they will get rid of first fully. Another article today stating the same that more orders with come soon. Yes no premium economy. Though they do have premium econmy on there sapporo route.
tris06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 12, 3:28 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: AA, DL, UA
Posts: 1,011
This is a surprise... I didn't think CI was interested in big Boeing other than 748.

Is it safe to assume CI will get 77W before it will get A359? That's probably why they did it. 77W to replace 744 is a pretty tried and true formula for both passenger and belly cargo operations so we should see the 3 class 77W on premium TPE-LAX/SFO/JFK routes.

This does beg the question... what will they do when A359 arrives? Would CI be better off trading some A359 for A358, which is better replacement for A333?
bzcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 12, 3:29 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SFO/SJC/OAK
Programs: CI Gold
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfish1103 View Post
Well, they have to at least roll out a product that's comparable to BR's Royal on the 77W (not sure on the 359 cause it's been a while since the order), otherwise they are just shooting themselves. The two Taiwanese airlines usually copy each other to the minimum so I would expect to see lie flat seats on CI, just not sure if it's going to be the same as BR's.

The question is if CI is dumping First? I hope not and want to see CX's suites style on their fleet. Six suites are more than enough to complement the cabin with 1-2-1 reverse herringbone business class and 33" economy. This way they will at least have a product that's comparable to their rival and differentiate the market (Suites vs. Premium Economy).
If CI dumps First, then I'd say it'd be in CI's best interests to use the same J seat that JL just announced.

Although, even though it's been a while since the A359 order was announced, there's still quite some time before they take delivery of any, so I'm sure their plans for how they're going to fit them are subject to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tris06 View Post
The news reported long time ago the a350-900's would be flat beds for business. I doubt they will get rid of first fully. Another article today stating the same that more orders with come soon. Yes no premium economy. Though they do have premium econmy on there sapporo route.
The premium economy is only on planes leased from Virgin, I thought. Those planes are going back to Virgin soon anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
This is a surprise... I didn't think CI was interested in big Boeing other than 748.

Is it safe to assume CI will get 77W before it will get A359? That's probably why they did it. 77W to replace 744 is a pretty tried and true formula for both passenger and belly cargo operations so we should see the 3 class 77W on premium TPE-LAX/SFO/JFK routes.

This does beg the question... what will they do when A359 arrives? Would CI be better off trading some A359 for A358, which is better replacement for A333?
The A359 is supposed to replace the A343s. Honestly, they'd be better off either cancelling them and ordering some 77Es instead (or not ordering the 77Ws and getting A351s instead), but the A359's fine for what they're using them for.
lolstebbo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:58 pm.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.