VN credit card at check in?

Subscribe
So, VN requires fliers that booked through their website to present the exact credit/debit card used for the reservation. Yet, I lost my card and I have a replacement one.

I do not know what to do to fix the issue, does anyone know how to proceed?

Thanks a lot!
Hello, although they have this rule they dont call it into play, unless you change the flight or ask for a refund. I flew vietnam airlines from saigon to nha trang and they did not ask for the card. I also bought flights for two friends on my card and they were able to fly. Bringing your bank statement showing the purchase will work if they
push it.
Hope this helps.
Quote: Hello, although they have this rule they dont call it into play, unless you change the flight or ask for a refund. I flew vietnam airlines from saigon to nha trang and they did not ask for the card. I also bought flights for two friends on my card and they were able to fly. Bringing your bank statement showing the purchase will work if they
push it.
Hope this helps.
Hi there,

did you purchase the ticket through the VN website?
Yes, purchased through the website. By the way, many airlines have this rule but they dont all enforce it when you get your boarding pass.
Quote: Yes, purchased through the website. By the way, many airlines have this rule but they dont all enforce it when you get your boarding pass.
That's what I thought, but the US VN office lady said I need a letter from the bank explaining that I lost my card... so weird...
Quote: Hello, although they have this rule they dont call it into play, unless you change the flight or ask for a refund. I flew vietnam airlines from saigon to nha trang and they did not ask for the card. I also bought flights for two friends on my card and they were able to fly. Bringing your bank statement showing the purchase will work if they
push it.
Hope this helps.
On every single flight I've ever booked on VN directly (through their website) I've been asked for the credit card at check-in. Sample size in the dozens, about 50/50 domestic Vietnam / International flights, for what its worth and maybe 75 / 25 biz vs economy.

On one occasion I did not have the card with me at HAN and was forced to go back to a ticketing desk and buy new tickets and then later submit a refund request online for the cancelled tickets. Refund was received within 2 weeks.

When I have encountered this policy on other Asian airlines and I did not have the card in question I have always been able to talk my way onto the flight with little issue. Usually apologizing profusely, offering to sign a form attesting to my liability for tix, or some other face saving measure will do the trick but the VN agent and supervisor held their ground.

In your case, as a precaution I would try to bring some documentation - a CC statement showing the old card# or something of the sort and just plan on arriving at the airport a little early to get things sorted out if need be.
I recently flew from SGN to NHA and booked online. Was asked for the CC and told that if I didn't produce it, I wouldn't be able to board!!!
Airlines brought this on themselves by relying on internet sales. Buy from a travel agent, never an issue, since if it's a problem card/declined sale/fraudulent transaction, they will go back to the agent to collect. They do not ask for the card if you bought it from an agent. Airlines were all too happy to screw agents out of commission...until they found out that on-line fraud cost them even more.
Quote: Airlines brought this on themselves by relying on internet sales. Buy from a travel agent, never an issue, since if it's a problem card/declined sale/fraudulent transaction, they will go back to the agent to collect. They do not ask for the card if you bought it from an agent. Airlines were all too happy to screw agents out of commission...until they found out that on-line fraud cost them even more.
The "CC at checkin" policy is immensely stupid and poorly implemented across all airlines as there are many legitimate reasons why someone may not have the CC with them at the time of checkin.

While I despise this practice, I certainly don't think that reverting back to the days of travel agents is the solution ...
Why doesnt just showing an ID suffice?
Quote: Why doesnt just showing an ID suffice?
Because the credit card companies have different rules on fraud disputes depending on whether the transaction was "card presented" or not.

So by mearly seeing the card, the airline lowers the bar on what they have to do to cover themselves by contract with the CC company.

This may or may not be stupid, but it is the CC companies that created the concept that seeing the card partially protects the vendor.

Back on the main topic, I one time got trapped by this. On EVA (dispite several years of status) we had to call into Amex to verify my purchase. Had this failed (supposedly) I would have to recharge the fare and get credited later after all had cleared..
I booked with VN directly from their website and on three separate occasions, they asked specifically for the credit card I used to book the flight.

Segments:
SGN > HAN
HAN > HKG
HKG > SGN

Apparently this is the case for most airlines across Asia however, if booked via a travel agency ie: Expedia for example, then they do not ask for it.
Quote: While I despise this practice, I certainly don't think that reverting back to the days of travel agents is the solution ...
Umm, you are aware that travel agents still exist, and in fact some are quite successful?
Quote: Apparently this is the case for most airlines across Asia however, if booked via a travel agency ie: Expedia for example, then they do not ask for it.
The risk of fraud in this case is passed from the airline to the travel agent, so no CC needs to be presented.
Quote: Umm, you are aware that travel agents still exist, and in fact some are quite successful?
Of course they exist but for something as simple as booking a $70 VN ticket online there is just no need to include a middle man.

There are certainly transactions where a TA can add value but a straightforward online booking is not one of them.