luggage limit on Air China International flight?

Old May 21, 2012, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
luggage limit on Air China International flight?

I spend quite a while on AirChina website, and didn't find anything useful. therefore, I'd like to ask my question here, and hopefully it can get me somewhere faster..

For an international flight on AirChina (PEK-LAX, if it mattes), what is the luggage limit? I need both the check-in and onboard limit, if you can, please.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 21, 2012, 10:33 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Telephone...archaic form of communication.
But might work.

Old May 22, 2012, 7:14 am

On flights between China and Japan or China and the Americas or Australia, passengers holding adult tickets or childrens tickets may check two pieces of luggage free of charge, each weighing no more than 23 kg (50 pounds), and the maximum size of each piece may not exceed 158 linear cm (62 linear inches). On other international flights, passengers holding adult tickets or childrens tickets may check one piece of luggage free of charge, weighing no more than 23 kg (50 pounds), and the maximum size may not exceed 158 linear cm (62 linear inches).

http://www.airchina.us/en/customerse...Q/baggage.html
Old May 22, 2012, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Noodlesz
On flights between China and Japan or China and the Americas or Australia, passengers holding adult tickets or children’s tickets may check two pieces of luggage free of charge, each weighing no more than 23 kg (50 pounds), and the maximum size of each piece may not exceed 158 linear cm (62 linear inches). On other international flights, passengers holding adult tickets or children’s tickets may check one piece of luggage free of charge, weighing no more than 23 kg (50 pounds), and the maximum size may not exceed 158 linear cm (62 linear inches).

http://www.airchina.us/en/customerse...Q/baggage.html
great find. Thanks, Noodlesz!!

Last edited by travelsg; May 22, 2012 at 2:30 pm
Old May 22, 2012, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Just noticed the carryone limit as below. Is it really you can only bring one carryon, instead of two which is common in other airlines?

How much carry-on baggage can I take into the aircraft cabin?

For international or regional flights, First Class and Business Class passengers may carry on two small bags or other personal items per person, each weighing no more than 8 kg. Economy Class passengers may carry on one small bag or other personal item per person, weighing no more than 5 kg.

Each piece of carry-on baggage shall not exceed the maximum dimensions of 55 cm (long) x 40 cm (wide) x 20 cm (high). Any item that exceeds the carry-on size, weight or piece allowance limits will be required to travel as checked baggage.
Old May 22, 2012, 2:58 pm

Generally intraChina flights don't allow much carry on.
Does save time when boarding and deplaning.

F&C get a bit more weight allowance.

For all international flights, First Class and Business Class passengers may check two pieces of luggage free of charge, each weighing no more than 32 kg (70 pounds), and the maximum size of each piece may not exceed 158 linear cm (62 linear inches).
Old May 22, 2012, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Generally intraChina flights don't allow much carry on.
Does save time when boarding and deplaning.
HKG is the ONLY airport I've been to in China (which almost doesn't count) where I've seen carry on rules enforced.

That having been said, egregious abuse of carry on rules is not especially common. Basically, people doing 3-4 trips generally keep things reasonably light (<20 kg, including their laptop bags), and don't check. Whereas, those traveling to/from their home towns check bags.

In my observation, we've come a long way from the madhouse days of yesteryear, which many passengers were uncouth neophytes. In fact, I'll take it a step further; people want to appear that give off the impression that they know what they're doing. In a strange way, this all ties into to the iPhone culture: having one is a must... better know how to use it. Similarly, fly on airplanes twice a week, or twice a year... blend in with the crowd (but, eye catching outfits are always a plus).
Old May 22, 2012, 11:03 pm

Programs: various
On the international CA flights, I don't think they will bat an eye if you have a regulation-size rollaboard or hand case, and another smaller item like a laptop bag, shopping bag, etc. They're not going to weigh the carry ons unless you look like you are a pack camel straining under the load. Particularly if you have a foreign face. That's if you are travelling in Y class. If in F/C, they wouldn't even bother weighing.

On checked bags, you have info above. Also, if you are *A Gold on any airline, for journeys to/from USA, you get an extra checked bag (i.e. 3 instead of 2) at the upper weight limit each.
Old May 24, 2012, 11:09 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by jiejie
On the international CA flights, I don't think they will bat an eye if you have a regulation-size rollaboard or hand case, and another smaller item like a laptop bag, shopping bag, etc. They're not going to weigh the carry ons unless you look like you are a pack camel straining under the load. Particularly if you have a foreign face. That's if you are travelling in Y class. If in F/C, they wouldn't even bother weighing.

On checked bags, you have info above. Also, if you are *A Gold on any airline, for journeys to/from USA, you get an extra checked bag (i.e. 3 instead of 2) at the upper weight limit each.
Would that be 50 or 70 lbs each? Where can I find the info to print out for a family member?

LAX
Old May 25, 2012, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by LAX
Would that be 50 or 70 lbs each? Where can I find the info to print out for a family member?

LAX
Looks like CA goes by piece concept.

Y 2 pieces @ 50 lbs each
C F 2 pieces @ 70 lbs each

Star Alliance
Gold Benefits
Extra Baggage Allowance 3 - an additional 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies, or one additional piece of luggage where the piece concept applies.
3. Please contact your Star Alliance airline for further details

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...silver-status/
Old May 25, 2012, 1:41 am

My understanding is *G gets the extra luggage and all pieces at 32 kg max per piece (70 lbs). I'm sorry I don't have a link to offer up now but I believe I have seen it in Air China's written policy somewhere (maybe Chinese site, not English?). But I'm not confident enough that this is a definitive answer, and I think if you need to push each piece past the 20 kg (50 lb) lower level, you need more data before you can be certain.

Last edited by jiejie; May 25, 2012 at 1:54 am
Old May 25, 2012, 4:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jiejie
My understanding is *G gets the extra luggage and all pieces at 32 kg max per piece (70 lbs). I'm sorry I don't have a link to offer up now but I believe I have seen it in Air China's written policy somewhere (maybe Chinese site, not English?). But I'm not confident enough that this is a definitive answer, and I think if you need to push each piece past the 20 kg (50 lb) lower level, you need more data before you can be certain.
I'm pretty confident in your answer... having traveled a lot with a person who almost always travels --throughout *A-- with 3 bags that are exactly 32 kg each. As the owner of a logistics company, she sees a great deal of value in this benefit -- far more than lounge access, upgrades ("a seat is a seat"), priority baggage tags, etc.

Allow me to provide an example of how the math breaks down:

PVG-YYZ Y fare = $3038 (that's ONE WAY)
3*32 = 96 kg (what *G gets)
2*23 = 46 kg (the limit for everyone else)
difference = 50 kg
50*.01*3038 = $1519 (overweight baggage fees are calculated based on 1% of Y per kg in excess of the limit)

ETA: One could transport 213 boxed iphones and stay under the 96 kg limit... not that I would ever dream of tempting these waters... just saying. Sorry for the extended tangent, but I don't think there's much else to be said about the topic at hand.

Last edited by moondog; May 25, 2012 at 5:08 am
Old May 25, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Good point about the value of the extra allowance using *G. I'll just add though, in case anyone comes across this thread and doesn't notice that this thread is about Air China, that the *G baggage benefit can vary across the alliance airlines.

For SAS for example, the extra weight allowance is based on the ticket class (at least that is the official policy ...)
http://www.flysas.com/en/cn/Travel_i...ecked_baggage/
Old May 25, 2012, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by moondog
ETA: One could transport 213 boxed iphones and stay under the 96 kg limit... .
One would be sweating bullets at the baggage carousel, hoping the
baggage handlers didn't make the score of their lifetime.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by GinFizz
Good point about the value of the extra allowance using *G. I'll just add though, in case anyone comes across this thread and doesn't notice that this thread is about Air China, that the *G baggage benefit can vary across the alliance airlines.For SAS for example, the extra weight allowance is based on the ticket class (at least that is the official policy ...)
http://www.flysas.com/en/cn/Travel_i...ecked_baggage/
Yes, this is true, which is why it would be nice to get something in writing from Air China itself (English, Chinese, anything...). I'm glad moondog chimed in though, as he's in a better spot than me to know the latest.

I have found one of my biggest *G benefits to be this extra baggage allowance, since over each of the last 3 years, I have used it to the max, slowly moving my worldly goods from China back to the USA on each visit. But I'm not traveling on CA, but on other carriers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.