Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Sign in using an external account

Old May 8, 12, 6:34 am   #1

Programs: DL SkyMiles Diamond Medallion and MM, TG ROP
MH 93 LAX-(NRT)-KUL various questions

How long prior to departure do the MH checkin counters open at LAX TBIT?

I'm arriving from ATL a little over 5 hours prior to STD and want to figure out how long I'll have to wait.

Does anyone have experience checking in online for ex-LAX flights? Will I be able to checkin for connections beyond KUL?

If I do online checkin, what should I do with my bags? I know DL will interline to MH, even on separate tickets, so maybe I should do that.

Any tips appreciated.
MegatopLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 12, 3:31 pm   #2

Programs: MH Gold, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
I'm sure the MH counters will open at least 3 hours before departure for check-in. I've read somewhere that some passengers have been able to check in 4 or even 5 hours before. Online check-in is not available at LAX, I believe, so you don't even have to think about bag drop-off. You definitely will be able to check-in for connections beyond KUL if travelling on MH.
doctorjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 12, 12:58 pm   #3

Programs: AA, DL, UA
MH's TBIT counter will not be staffed when you arrive so you should hang out at the DL louge for a while if you can.

I would definitely check all my bags at ATL thru to KUL.
bzcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 12, 6:38 am   #4

I thought I understood MH.com as indicating that OLCI is not available to LAX but, by implication, is available departing from LAX. That would make sense if it's the touchy inbound American security regulations dictating the result.

If I can through-check from ATL onto MH to KUL and beyond, I will plan to hit the SkyClub after arrival at LAX before moving over to TBIT.
Old May 10, 12, 8:05 am   #5

Programs: UA Premier, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegatopLover View Post
I thought I understood MH.com as indicating that OLCI is not available to LAX but, by implication, is available departing from LAX. That would make sense if it's the touchy inbound American security regulations dictating the result.

If I can through-check from ATL onto MH to KUL and beyond, I will plan to hit the SkyClub after arrival at LAX before moving over to TBIT.
Unfortunately MH does not offer OLCI to or from LAX.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Web
Overview

Our fast and simple web check-in facility enables you to check in online, select your preferred seat and print your boarding pass conveniently from your home or office. You can also use it to update your Enrich number. Available for groups of up to 9 guests.

Check in online now

Web check-in help

Availability
48 hours up to 90 minutes before departure.

Applicable flights
Available for all flights except for check-in from Brunei, Kunming, Los Angeles, Xiamen and the following sectors: Kuala Lumpur–Los Angeles and Taipei–Los Angeles.
dls25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 12, 6:33 am   #6

Same flight, new question

What is the lounge-access situation in NRT for transit pax on MH 93?

On MH 95 in TPE, despite a 90-minute stop early in the morning, MH did not give lounge access to J pax in transit. If you were originating at TPE, you got lounge access, but not if you're in transit-- on one of MH's longest routes. That struck me as supreme cheapness that would irritate premium pax.

I hope MH has smartened up about transit pax at NRT. But at least NRT is a more pleasant connection airport than TPE T1.
Old May 14, 12, 7:03 am   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegatopLover View Post
What is the lounge-access situation in NRT for transit pax on MH 93?

On MH 95 in TPE, despite a 90-minute stop early in the morning, MH did not give lounge access to J pax in transit. If you were originating at TPE, you got lounge access, but not if you're in transit-- on one of MH's longest routes. That struck me as supreme cheapness that would irritate premium pax.

I hope MH has smartened up about transit pax at NRT. But at least NRT is a more pleasant connection airport than TPE T1.
I agree. It would irritate me no end. That would be extremely cheap of MH not to offer J passengers lounge access during transit at NRT. I wonder if gold/platinum Enrich members can get into the lounge at NRT if they don't allow transit passengers to...
Old May 17, 12, 6:09 am   #8

Survey says?

Qantas Lounge, Terminal 2 Satellite building, lower floor, just past transit security. From which, greetings.

The lounge closes at 9:30 pm, and the food corner closes at 9:15. The first transit pax to make it here, yours truly included, walked in around 8:45. The onward segment of NH 93 departs at 10:05, as actually the last scheduled pax service from Narita, which officially closes at 11:00 pm, I believe. The lounge itself is fine, reasonably spacious, with a decent selection of refreshments. And because we're the only flight out here, it's nothing like the teeming Delta SkyClubs over in Terminal 1 when the banks of Asia-bound and US-bound flights are connecting.

Today and two days ago, MH used Gate 88 at the end of the Satellite building for this flight. That seems to be MH's preferred gate. We were specifically advised by onboard crew that we were welcome to leave our carryon bags on board during the transit stop, as bags only need to go off when in transit bound for the United States. I left one and took one.

Meal service on MH 93 was underwhelming. Because of the flight timing, the post-departure service was called a "Light Meal," with "Dinner" served 2.5 hours pre-Tokyo, and "Supper" slated for after departing NRT. The post-LAX meal itself was so so. There were four choices of mains, but none were particularly grabbing. The Japanese sesame chicken with terriyaki rice was too sweet and some of the chicken was a bit off. This was preceeded by a satay service and a small salad on the tray; bread service was offered twice. The "desert" was just a small bowl of fruit that was already on the tray. Considering the time of departure from LAX, just before the dinner hour (and already in the dinner hour for those of us connecting from the East), I would have expected a more elaborate meal service, such as you get on DL's and KE's daytime departures to Asia. The only part of the pre-Tokyo meal I had was the desert, a reasonably tasty light pastry, which I had with MH's quite good on-board coffee.

Let's see how the second sector goes. I'm sort of dreading the 4:30 am arrival at KLIA.

In any case, to MH for offering Business Class pax lounge access in transit at NRT. This is an improvement from MH 95 transits at TPE.
Old May 17, 12, 4:01 pm   #9

Greetings from the MH Regional Golden Lounge in the main building at KLIA.

Meal service was quite a bit better ex-NRT than ex-LAX. Again four selections of mains, including a decent beef "filet" in two thin slabs (think horizontal medallions), which was appreciably improved by the dijon mustard that I asked for. The accompanying Bordeaux was passable but nothing to write home about. The soba salad was pretty good, actually, with strips of seawead, a little shrimp, strips of egg, and a not-too-salty-and-not-too-thick soy-based dressing. The only downside was that they turned up the lights and made a decent it of noice a full 90 minutes out from KUL for a "refreshment" service that was nothing but a sandwich and drinks and totally unnecessary relative to the commotion it enduced in a cabin of pax trying to sleep (it started at 3:00 am Kuala Lumpur time).

Back to where I started this thread. I don't know when checkin actually began. I was able to work with the DL agent in ATL to through-check my bags, which (I hope) have been successfully interlined and will be on their way to DPS with me in a couple of hours. When I got off my ATL-LAX flight, I ducked into the SkyClub to work for a couple of hours. I walked over to TBIT and saw Malaysian's logo in the first row that I encountered, on the south side of the building. The queues weren't set up and there was no staff there but there were a lot of people starting to informally "line up." This was well after 2:00 pm, so definitely under 3 hours from STD. Eventually a gentleman in uniform came over and led us to the row at the other end of TBIT's hall, on the north side, where the MH checkin desk had evidently been open for some time. No idea why the signs indicated they were in the other row.

KLIA was pretty dead upon arrival, especially out in the Satellite building. I was the first pax into the Regional Lounge this morning.

FWIW, the crews on both sectors were quite good, what you would expect from MH.
Old May 18, 12, 7:59 pm   #10

Thanks for your update on the flights. Quick question re J seats are they fully flat or angled flat ?
mistado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 12, 5:52 am   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistado View Post
Thanks for your update on the flights. Quick question re J seats are they fully flat or angled flat ?
Current J seats are angled flat.