Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Air: Enough BKK transit time for these trips?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2012, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Bangkok Air: Enough BKK transit time for these trips?

My wife and I plan to fly these two itineraries on Bangkok Air early next year. I hope that the current immigration delays at BKK are resolved by then, but want to ask just in case:

1. We'd fly from Phnom to Luang Prabang, arriving in BKK at 8:15 a.m. and departing at 9:30 a.m. Am I correct in assuming that we wouldn't even have to deal with Thailand immigration, but would simply transit through? And regardless, is the 75 minutes enough for the transit? If not, our alternative would be to fly the previous evening from PNH and overnight in BKK.
2. We'd later fly from Luang Prabang to Koh Samui, arriving BKK at 2:15 p.m. and leaving as soon as 3:40 p.m. Am I correct in assuming that we'd need to do immigration in BKK, or would it be in Samui? And is 85 minutes too tight a connection, or would we be better off booking a later one? (The last Bangkok Air flight to Samui leaves at 6:45 p.m.)

If anyone has any other advice on flying these routes, I'd welcome that as well.

Thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2012, 9:50 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
1. Only transit security - at this time of the day it will most likely take no more than 5-15 minutes.

2. Passport control in BKK, customs clearance in USM.

In both cases you will most likely have enough time for a short visit to PG lounge, that is available to all customers (soft drinks, Internet access, small snacks).
Old Mar 18, 2012, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
As long as your connection is "legal" (and it seems to be the casa), you don't have to worry because PG is very good assisting transit pax and accelerating things if you are too tight. An agent will wait for you in the jetway at BKK in case of problem.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
This is great info. Thank you both!
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
My wife and I plan to fly these two itineraries on Bangkok Air early next year. I hope that the current immigration delays at BKK are resolved by then, but want to ask just in case:
If the current flights times hold you'll be fine.

The big question is what the schedule will evolve into as you're planning for early next year. Many things can change over that time.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsquared37
If the current flights times hold you'll be fine.

The big question is what the schedule will evolve into as you're planning for early next year. Many things can change over that time.
Things change in Thailand??? Or with airline schedules???
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
you might be interested by reading this thread I started last year :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...y-feb-9-a.html
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Very good to know, Golderak. I'll take this into account in making my own booking.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak
you might be interested by reading this thread I started last year :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...y-feb-9-a.html
Your situation is not relevant to the OP. You were connecting to a domestic airport without customs facilities and therefor needed to go through immigration and customs in BKK.

OP is travel int-int and subsequently int-dom where the domestic airport has customs.

In your case the problem was based upon the website not differentiating airports with/without customs. In the latter situation you'd need additional cushioning for the connection and that's something you didn't have.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Your situation is not relevant to the OP. You were connecting to a domestic airport without customs facilities and therefor needed to go through immigration and customs in BKK.

OP is travel int-int and subsequently int-dom where the domestic airport has customs.

In your case the problem was based upon the website not differentiating airports with/without customs. In the latter situation you'd need additional cushioning for the connection and that's something you didn't have.
I know my situation was different from the one of the OP but I wanted to show him how good PG can be to handle transfers in BKK if things get "tight" or complicated.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I know my situation was different from the one of the OP but I wanted to show him how good PG can be to handle transfers in BKK if things get "tight" or complicated.
Fair enough.

In all my travels on PG I've never had the situation where they grabbed me for expediting anything. That's probably a good thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.