MAS: Help! Name change possible?!?!

Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Enrich
MAS: Help! Name change possible?!?!

Hi all,

Hoping to get some advice here. I've read and been told time and time again that most airlines will not allow name changes. However, there have been success and usually american airlines and even Jetstar has allowed name changes to occur with a penalty fee.

about 6 months ago, I booked 2 tickets for my partner and myself to fly SYD-Paris. Unfortunately, we are no longer together and would be extremely uncomfortable travelling together.
I have asked MAS if I can change the name on one of the tickets (they are all e-tickets now, we'd imagine it'd be easier). Unfortunately they said no and that I should email the internet booking support team and try my luck.

So with the fate of my luck in the internet team's hands, i emailed them. They wrote back 2 days later saying that it was not possible at all.
but as a gesture of goodwill, were willing to credit me my fare minus 400AUD into a MCO (like a gift voucher) which could be used for other tickets. HOwever, the ticket would still be in that passenger's name.
As much as this is helpful, I still do not understand why malaysia airlines makes it so difficult. I was even willing to pay an additional fee to change the name. There is no security breach, no "reprinting" of tickets. There is nothing that changes except perhaps and internet admin change. I am more than happy to pay for the labour fee associated with the poor person who has to make that change. the new passenger would fly the same route, in the same seat.

Has anyone else had the same experience and can offer any advice?

please help!!!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: Hard to keep one
I assumed you called the local office? Have you tried visiting them in your locality?

I find sometimes when dealing face to face, empathy will allow some rules to be bend. If you are just words on a screen or a faceless voice over a line, it is easier to just stick to the rules.

Sydney Ticket Office

Address
Sydney International Airport
3rd Floor, International Terminal
Pier C, MASCOT NSW 2000
Australia

Fax
+61 2 9693 5516

Reservations
1326 27

Ticketing
1326 27

Sydney Regional Office (Corporate Communications, Sydney Sales, Corporate Sales, Marketing, Pricing, Administration & Accounts)

Address
Level 7, 16 Spring Street
Sydney NSW 2000

Admin
+61 2 9364 3500

Fax
+61 2 9251 9149
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:53 am
Suspended

Trekking all the way to Mascot to attempt a name change which was already rejected by the head office ?

No point visiting the regional office near Pitt Street, they don't even have a reception area for visitors and no one will attend to you.

I believe the OP has emailed the correct department, and I am not surprised they turned down her request for a name change (assuming she bought a heavily discounted ticket).
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Lesson should be learned here....don't by a ticket for a "friend" months ahead...or, if you do, do it on separate files and then deny the charge...but you did it too far out, so you are past the limit to decline on your c/c....Next step: take the ex to Small Claims Court and demand re-payment.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:15 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Many airlines don't let you change names unless there's an error or the passenger's name changed due to marriage or other reasons. Refund credits typically are credited towards the traveler on the ticket. If you and your partner still wants to go to Paris seperatly, you could just check in together, select seats that are far apart, and go on your seperate ways.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by lynettefong
Unfortunately, we are no longer together and would be extremely uncomfortable travelling together.
But the truth is... you don't have to travel together! Check in separately and the cabin is surely big enough that you can sit apart... on arrival, stay at different hotels and go do your own thing.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
why don't you just cancel the ticket? is it non refundable tic?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

Thanks for trying.. I could go to Mascot and try.. I don't live too far away.

I did ring and I spoke to the malaysian call centre, the adelaide call centre and the sydney ticket office (who was the least friendly and didn't even entertain my call).

I guess I just have to make do... I can't just refund the ticket because it was a heavily discounted ticket....
the break up was totally.. unexpected.. hence the last thing we want is more contact or knowing we're close by

THanks guys.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

Update: MAS has issued me a full refund with a $150AUD penalty fee per ticket!
Woo hoo! He said that normally they'd refund the taxes at the least but I was very lucky!!
WHEW!!!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, MH Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Glad to hear it all worked out. MAS have almost always been really helpful in some sticky situations I have encountered previously. I completely understand that they have to try and stick by the rules but the staff have a nice way of surprising me and this is why I have remained loyal to them all these years. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.