Wiki Posts
Search

Buying a domestic upgrade on Air China

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Buying a domestic upgrade on Air China

A word of warning to those who are tempted to buy an upgrade to (domestic) F on Air China, specifically on flights operated by 3-class aircraft.

I was scheduled to fly on a B777-300ER from Beijing to Shanghai. I was in Y, but it seemed like there were no aisle seats free (!) and decided to pay the difference to F. I went to check in and got seat 13A. I thought it was a bit strange, but once on board it was clear that I was in "business" class and not in row 1 or 2. There was someone (a European) sitting in row 1, so it was clear that these seats were being sold.

I decided to ask a flight attendant and was told that business class was considered domestic "F" and that rows 1 and 2 were for passengers who had bought first class tickets abroad. Given the duration of the flight (under 2 hours) I was not about to argue. The long-haul C seat was much more comfortable than any previous domestic F seat I had experienced on CA.

I did find it much stranger though when a German-speaking gentlemen in the row in front of me also confronted the flight attendant. He already had a C class ticket and bought an upgrade to F and landed up in exactly the same seat!!! Now that is almost worthy of being called a "scam"!

Last edited by Snoopy; Aug 31, 2014 at 4:53 am
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
As Moondog would always say, take your business elsewhere.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Well at least the miles were credited 3x.....
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
F is usually Business Class on Chinese domestic flights.
CZ (e.g.) does not sell the real F seats to its domestic passengers on their Boeing 787 aircrafts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.