Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVA to join Star Alliance

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evq
and how exactly will existing FF on BR gain??
I think BR will have to have better rules with Evergreen Club - otherwise people will start putting their miles in other airlines programs.

You will also get Star Gold/Star Silver treatment on many carriers.

BR is not stupid. They will structure things so the top spenders will have incentive to remain with Evergreen Club.

So, you will benefit even if you fly only BR.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well well, I walked by the Taipei Evergreen Hotel today (which is part of the Evergreen Group as EVA Air) and there was a big sign in the lobby welcoming Star Alliance Service GmbH. Talking about unintended leak of business plans

Last edited by username; Mar 2, 2011 at 7:47 am
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:27 pm

I wish they would. They have super-cheap fares ex-ICN to the US (SFO) right now (like $600+tax range). The same fare on Asiana? ~$1,000+tax. UA is about $1,000 a/i and SQ is $1,250 a/i.

I'd seriously consider flying EVA if they were a *A member, even if it meant a connection in Taipei.

EDIT: Nvm, the lowest mileage-earning fare is like $1k+plus tax.

Last edited by stupidhead; Mar 2, 2011 at 8:46 pm
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:15 pm
evq

Programs: EVA Air Diamond, Fairmont Premier
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by username
I think BR will have to have better rules with Evergreen Club - otherwise people will start putting their miles in other airlines programs.

BR is not stupid. They will structure things so the top spenders will have incentive to remain with Evergreen Club.

Right now booking an award ticket on FF is fairly straightforward and hasslefree. do you think that this will still be the case post-*alliance?

Also, BR GOLD checkin lines are always very quick. will this be the case when a mob of "entitled" *alliance gold members compete for the same checkin counters?

Last edited by evq; Mar 2, 2011 at 11:54 pm
Old Mar 3, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by evq
Also, BR GOLD checkin lines are always very quick. will this be the case when a mob of "entitled" *alliance gold members compete for the same checkin counters?
Fair enough but that's easily fixed: Designate a separate desk for the highest tier members of BR FF. AC does this at the major hubs with a dedicated desk for their highest tier members (AC Super Elite) and it works like a charm.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: OnePass, Royal Orchid Plus, Mabuhay Miles
Originally Posted by evq
I've checked in at *G counters at NH, CO, UA, SQ, TG, LH and a few others. None have been mobbed. Seriously, I cannot recall being more than #3 in line in a very long time.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by evq
Yep, not just check-in, also the TPE "standard" lounge.

Originally Posted by terminalc
I've checked in at *G counters at NH, CO, UA, SQ, TG, LH and a few others. None have been mobbed. Seriously, I cannot recall being more than #3 in line in a very long time.
Perhaps not mobbed, but when I was *gold, queues and waiting times were longer than I get with BR gold. In particular I waited a long time to check in for SQ at LAX and AC (Montreal, I think).

Originally Posted by payam81
Fair enough but that's easily fixed: Designate a separate desk for the highest tier members of BR FF. AC does this at the major hubs with a dedicated desk for their highest tier members (AC Super Elite) and it works like a charm.
Well that only fixes it for BR Diamonds.

Yep. At the moment Golds don't even get upgrade vouchers which I believe is common on other *alliance airlines. They need to make it worthwhile being gold with EVA rather than elsewhere. Eg allow EVA golds into the new lounge at TPE or offer the Garden (Diamonds would get either). To me it's a nonsense that a non-status short hop to HK in C gets you EVA's best lounge, but Gold in long haul Elite class gets you the basic lounge. OK that's another debate. But the standard TPE lounge still gets crowded and with *golds in there it can only get worse.

BR is not stupid.
Oh.. are we sure about that? I'm sure they will be so excited about this "international recognition" that they will fall over themselves to impress *alliance members and hope they can get their business. They will take Evergreen Club members for granted - I wouldn't bank on better treatment for BR Golds.

They will structure things so the top spenders will have incentive to remain with Evergreen Club.

Perhaps they'll do that "after the event" when they realise *alliance has opened up a two way street.

In my case, I might well switch to another airline scheme. EVA keep fiddling with the rules - I might feel my miles are safer banked elsewhere.

Last edited by jimbo99; Mar 3, 2011 at 4:15 pm Reason: emphasis added
Old Mar 3, 2011, 6:18 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by jimbo99
Yep. At the moment Golds don't even get upgrade vouchers which I believe is common on other *alliance airlines.
A lot of *A airlines have upgrades for their mid/top tier equivalent to BR Gold. North Americans are of course much more generous due to the market and product but even TG Gold (50K requirement) will give you an R/T upgrade from Y to C or C to F. If you fly another 50K in the same year, you will get a second one so you're essentially correct.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evq
Right now booking an award ticket on FF is fairly straightforward and hasslefree. do you think that this will still be the case post-*alliance?

There are obviously pluses and minuses. If you choose to focus on the negatives, then no one can help you see the positive side of this.

I would expect BR will treat their own members better - doesn't SQ do something like that? BR Silver will probably lose out a lot, BR Gold will probably lose a little, BR Diamond will not.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
People probably don't know EVA very well. For EVA, it's all about Diamonds.

Diamond will be treated well above when compared to Star Alliance partner's Elites, but Gold on the other hand will get the shaft. I won't even say probably cause it has been the case in almost every way even without Star Alliance.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimbo99
Yep, not just check-in, also the TPE "standard" lounge.

Perhaps not mobbed, but when I was *gold, queues and waiting times were longer than I get with BR gold. In particular I waited a long time to check in for SQ at LAX and AC (Montreal, I think).

Well that only fixes it for BR Diamonds.

Yep. At the moment Golds don't even get upgrade vouchers which I believe is common on other *alliance airlines. They need to make it worthwhile being gold with EVA rather than elsewhere. Eg allow EVA golds into the new lounge at TPE or offer the Garden (Diamonds would get either). To me it's a nonsense that a non-status short hop to HK in C gets you EVA's best lounge, but Gold in long haul Elite class gets you the basic lounge. OK that's another debate. But the standard TPE lounge still gets crowded and with *golds in there it can only get worse.

Oh.. are we sure about that? I'm sure they will be so excited about this "international recognition" that they will fall over themselves to impress *alliance members and hope they can get their business. They will take Evergreen Club members for granted - I wouldn't bank on better treatment for BR Golds.

Perhaps they'll do that "after the event" when they realise *alliance has opened up a two way street.

In my case, I might well switch to another airline scheme. EVA keep fiddling with the rules - I might feel my miles are safer banked elsewhere.
Stupid or not is all based on the point of view

I think things will change. The original vision for BR was about running a good and special airline. I think over the years, it has lost that vision - especially it is a publicly traded company now and has to deliver the numbers.

Y F Chang's son, who seems to be an aviation enthusiast, has returned. I think there will be a little more focus on having a good airline instead of purely on short term numbers.

Evergreen has always been independent and different. It is a very centralized Taiwanese company. They never wanted to have Evergreen Club. They were forced into it. They then realized how much money they were "losing" giving OnePass miles on most fares and drastically tightened it.

They never wanted alliances. They were either forced into it (by CI joining) or Chang (the son) has a more open-minded view on this (i.e. sees the "two way street").

I don't think they will give away the store to join *A. Having a convenient Greater China nonstop TPAC circle (North America-China-Taiwan-North America) is important so they are in a good position.

What I think is they will probably take an approach like SQ - lowest fares not eligible for partner (and their own) miles and treat the PPS members better than alliance elites. Unless they do that or drastically improve their program, it definitely makes sense to move accrual to other airlines. Most of us are slaves to recognition and miles after all

Last edited by username; Mar 3, 2011 at 10:11 pm
Old May 27, 2011, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am curious if there is any news on this. It is strange that no formal announcement has been made. It would be hard to join by the end of the year if there is still no formal announcement yet, right?
Old May 28, 2011, 2:59 am

Programs: CO Plat
I for one am very excited. Will be great to have a way to get to HKG on *A. ^^
Old May 28, 2011, 4:12 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
I haven't seen any more on this either. I've mentioned this before that being in Star is perfect for me, that gives me lounge access for both Star and oneworld.
Old May 28, 2011, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
One of EVA's key strengths for me is their schedule from SEA. I hope they don't decide to "grow up" by shifting to midday departures from SEA (as Asiana did many years ago).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.