Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coolfish1103
Google doc for China Airlines & Starlux Airlines
- 2017 China Airlines Network
- A document for Tigerair Taiwan (LCC) will soon be made.

Things to note:

Information may not be up-to-date and is only served as advice. It's best for one to call the airline or check the official website. This thread will only cover carriers not having their own forums operated from Taiwan (not China). It's recommended to read some recent discussions in this page or this section of the forum as they might not yet be updated.

Please visit EVA FT forum for information regards to EVA Air.

Miles Buzz

China Airlines (CI) - 中華航空
Subsidiary: Mandarin Airlines (AE) - 華信航空

Fare Family
- China Airlines has followed the steps of EVA Air adopting new fare system where you are charged depending on the booking class you purchase. Have a read: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...y-br-v-ci.html and https://www.china-airlines.com/tw/en...ts/fare-family

Future destinations
- CI plans to operate Seattle from 15JUL24.

Mileage Upgrade no longer applicable to cheap tickets
- From July 2, 2020

You may only upgrade via miles with booking codes Y, B, M, K, Q, T, V for Economy and W, U, A for Premium Economy on all sectors.

Far Eastern Air Transport (FE) - 遠東航空

Ceased operation as of December 13, 2019.

STARLUX Airlines (JX) - 星宇航空

Future destinations
- JX plans to operate Seattle from 17AUG24.

New Lounge at Terminal 2
- First Class Lounge available for First Class passengers only (if not opting for HuanYu Terminal).

Fleet:
13x A321neo
11x A330-900neo (4 currently in service)
10x A350-900 (5 currently in service)

International Airport Gateways
TPE Taipei Taoyuan International Airport - 桃園國際機場
Print Wikipost

Information for Airlines based in Taiwan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
I wonder how much $ is ONT subsidizing for CI to even consider a survey?
This is very interesting but CI is really the ideal candidate for ONT to target.

Was this an official email survey from CI? Hard to tell from the link.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by bzcat
This is very interesting but CI is really the ideal candidate for ONT to target.

Seems like CAL is returning to its former roots, flying routes that the govt needs or thinks is necessary!
It certainly looks official, but I have never seen an airline use Google Forms for official surveys!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:24 pm

You think if started, it would CI service be daily to ONT?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by hayzel7773
Seems like CAL is returning to its former roots, flying routes that the govt needs or thinks is necessary!
It certainly looks official, but I have never seen an airline use Google Forms for official surveys!
I mean, there's areas with Taiwanese populations for which ONT would be easier to get to than LAX, so it's not that weird.....
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by lolstebbo
I mean, there's areas with Taiwanese populations for which ONT would be easier to get to than LAX, so it's not that weird.....
. And Chinese. Unless they would never consider flying to China through Taiwan.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:35 am

The first time I saw the news about the visit to ONT, I came away with the impression that it might be more cargo focused, as in it might be China Airlines Cargo service rather than China Airlines passenger service, though this survey makes me think otherwise. ONT is a UPS hub and there's a fair amount of distribution warehouses and such in the area, so ONT as a more cargo-focused destination seemed reasonable.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by brabb12
If they're PRC nationals, they can't unless they're going to one of three airports obscure enough that I don't even remember which airports they are.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by lolstebbo
If they're PRC nationals, they can't unless they're going to one of three airports obscure enough that I don't even remember which airports they are.
Ah I see. I didn't know that. I know they are not on good terms but didn't know it was like that.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PRC citizens need Taiwan visa to transit Taiwan even without leaving transit area.@:-)

Last edited by TerryK; Jul 27, 2017 at 12:04 pm
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:03 pm

Ah I see. I didn't know that. I know they are not on good terms but didn't know it was like that.
I think it's not so much a matter of whether or not they're on good terms as much as it is whether or not allowing transit through TPE will affect CA/CZ/MU/HU/MF loads.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
The first time I saw the news about the visit to ONT, I came away with the impression that it might be more cargo focused, as in it might be China Airlines Cargo service rather than China Airlines passenger service, though this survey makes me think otherwise. ONT is a UPS hub and there's a fair amount of distribution warehouses and such in the area, so ONT as a more cargo-focused destination seemed reasonable.
That's a common misconception about air cargo operation vs. distribution centers. They are not really related business. The only thing they have in common is that they both involves shipping stuff. The best analogy I can draw is this: Taco Bell is not really related to meat packing industry even though it sells tacos containing meat (supposedly... )

The air cargo consolidators, custom brokers, and freight forwarding business are all located at LAX or nearby in the Southbay area. ONT will be far out of the way for any airline cargo operation. This is the reason why LAWA was unsuccessful in convincing CI, BR, CX, SQ, KE, QF, KL etc to move cargo ops to ONT. It would be a severe competitive disadvantage to locate that far away when all your clients are near LAX.

UPS is different because it is its own consolidator and they don't handle third party freight. UPS mainly ships packages and letters so using ONT made sense for them because the airport has room for them to setup sorting operations.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:43 pm

That's a common misconception about air cargo operation vs. distribution centers. They are not really related business. The only thing they have in common is that they both involves shipping stuff. The best analogy I can draw is this: Taco Bell is not really related to meat packing industry even though it sells tacos containing meat (supposedly... )

The air cargo consolidators, custom brokers, and freight forwarding business are all located at LAX or nearby in the Southbay area. ONT will be far out of the way for any airline cargo operation. This is the reason why LAWA was unsuccessful in convincing CI, BR, CX, SQ, KE, QF, KL etc to move cargo ops to ONT. It would be a severe competitive disadvantage to locate that far away when all your clients are near LAX.

UPS is different because it is its own consolidator and they don't handle third party freight. UPS mainly ships packages and letters so using ONT made sense for them because the airport has room for them to setup sorting operations.
Best analogy ever about taco bell!!!! But yes you are so correct. Most of those cargo operations are usually around Torrance area.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA

It's an official survey. You can take one as well.

CI LAX often uses google to do survey.

I don't think ONT will survive unless Ontario and San Bernardino continue to dump funds in. Customer base will be mainly VIP and Taiwanese who want to avoid LAX.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:35 pm

According to aviation week, Chariman Ho will finalize order for narrowbody by this month
http://aviationweek.com/awincommerci...rrowbody-order
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
CI has cut JFK to 4x a week. There will no longer be service on Friday(from TPE) and Saturday(From JFK). Reduction starts in October and includes S18.
Not surprising considering the news we had last month about this route!

CI and Mandarin are also downgauging 2 KHH routes.
2 of 3 daily KHH-HKG will be operated by 738 instead of A333 and KHH-HGH will now be all 738.
KHH-NRT will now be operated by A333 instead of 738.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...rvice-changes/
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...from-oct-2017/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.