Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines e-Ticketing faulty.....

Malaysia Airlines e-Ticketing faulty.....

Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:44 pm
Company Representative - Malaysia Airlines

Clarifications re David Chai's case

Good afternoon everyone,

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Amin Khan, the Head of the Network and Revenue Management Division in Malaysia Airlines. I am also responsible for online booking channel.

We have investigated Mr. Chai's plight and I would like to provide some clarifications on the issue at hand.

To ascertain if there was a technical glitch as experienced by Mr. Chai, we simulated a similar booking in our Internet booking member’s profile page. We confirm that only primary user details are auto defaulted in the first traveler details column. Any subsequent traveler’s details will not have the primary user details but have to be manually keyed in or selected from the drop down menu. This drop down menu includes the primary/member user detail and other stored passengers detail from previous bookings on our web site. This will not be auto populated, but has to be selected by user.

Thus the primary user’s name would not to reappear by default on the second and third traveller’s columns, and until now, we have not received any complaints of this nature.

As a added control feature, Mr. Chai would be given a review page to verify and confirm the information before submitting his booking he submitted prior to e-ticket issuance.

We do not allow change of names as the customer would have had the opportunity to review the finalized names. This is a standard policy to mitigate potential fraud.

Mr. Chai has appealed and we have allowed the change of name but with a minimal RM65 fee for each name change.

We are in contact with Mr. Chai to resolve this matter soonest.

We hope this provides greater clarity and perspective to the situation at hand. Thank you very much.

Dr. Amin Khan
Senior General Manager
Network and Revenue Management Division
Malaysia Airlines
Amin Khan
Malaysia Airlines
+603 7840 4865
Old Feb 2, 2010, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Malaysia Airlines
Good afternoon everyone,

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Amin Khan, the Head of the Network and Revenue Management Division in Malaysia Airlines. I am also responsible for online booking channel.

We have investigated Mr. Chai's plight and I would like to provide some clarifications on the issue at hand.

To ascertain if there was a technical glitch as experienced by Mr. Chai, we simulated a similar booking in our Internet booking member’s profile page. We confirm that only primary user details are auto defaulted in the first traveler details column. Any subsequent traveler’s details will not have the primary user details but have to be manually keyed in or selected from the drop down menu. This drop down menu includes the primary/member user detail and other stored passengers detail from previous bookings on our web site. This will not be auto populated, but has to be selected by user.

Thus the primary user’s name would not to reappear by default on the second and third traveller’s columns, and until now, we have not received any complaints of this nature.

As a added control feature, Mr. Chai would be given a review page to verify and confirm the information before submitting his booking he submitted prior to e-ticket issuance.

We do not allow change of names as the customer would have had the opportunity to review the finalized names. This is a standard policy to mitigate potential fraud.

Mr. Chai has appealed and we have allowed the change of name but with a minimal RM65 fee for each name change.

We are in contact with Mr. Chai to resolve this matter soonest.

We hope this provides greater clarity and perspective to the situation at hand. Thank you very much.

Dr. Amin Khan
Senior General Manager
Network and Revenue Management Division
Malaysia Airlines
Amin Khan
Malaysia Airlines
+603 7840 4865
Oh dear! MH did not believe Mr Chai, coming from the head honcho of revenue dept! However, having been through another painful MH computer glitch experience, I can assure you that MH online booking system can behave erratic one day and be alright the next, so that by dummy booking with another computer, another time does not really prove that the system was ok during your booking process. Believe you me, the amount of bugs in the booking system....

Mr Chai, if you have reasonable grounds for your complaint, would you consider pursuing this matter in another avenue, eg court of law, if MH is unwilling to resolve this matter?

Last edited by kenyalang69; Feb 2, 2010 at 4:22 am Reason: To add information
Old Feb 2, 2010, 4:04 am

Deleted

Last edited by kenyalang69; Feb 2, 2010 at 4:20 am Reason: duplicate
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:57 am

Dr. Amin Khan,

Please may I respectfully point out some of the flaws from the conclusion that you reached by the experiment you performed.

1) Your Online Booking system, to my knowledge, is subject to frequent minor upgrades/changes. I was not aware of when David.chai made his bookings, but I also know a few weeks ago I received an e-mail from MAS notifying me of "Reservations Systems Upgrade", which I suspect is a major upgrade. The scientific notion that you change only one variable when you perform an experiment, in my opinion, is not adhered to in your experiment.

2a) It is unsafe to extrapolate one result from your experiment and expect it to be applied to 'all cases'. In my post previously in this thread, I mentioned about your competitor Singapore Airlines' Online Redemption Booking fault, where despite a promised 25% discount, only 15% was applied. Their staff in Singapore Airlines never heard of such complaints before (neither do I see any such complaints posted in Flyertalk or SQTalk), but when they went through the same steps with me, they found the same problem themselves.

2b) You mentioned "we have not received any complaints of this nature." Further to point 2a) above, I wonder could it be also a result of the culture in your organization. Due to my numerous unhappy dealings with your airline in the past, I do wonder, could there again be cases where your junior staff refuses to escalate complaints further up - or complaints were made but not replied to (both from 'complaints' made here in Flyertalk and also personal chat with friends who flew with MH)?

And furthermore, I wonder have you considered David.Chai's motives behind booking 3 names for himself? Is it for a profit motive? Or something else? Honestly I cannot think of a plausible explanation, if Mr. Chai did indeed purposefully made the whole story up.

To be honest, may I respectfully suggest to Dr. Amin Khan here that whether it is Malaysia Airlines' fault or David.chai's fault, it is hard to come to a conclusion. I doubt you will possibly 'reinstall' your old system, at the time/date when David.Chai made his booking, to come to a firm conclusion.

Why not offer a goodwill gesture to him and waive the MYR65 change fee without admitting any liability, to foster some goodwill between Mr. Chai and your airline?

Whilst there are Small Claims Tribunals in Malaysia that Mr. Chai can go through, I do feel sorry if he has to go through that, as MYR195 is, in a way, not a huge amount to spend that much time to pursue about, especially if Mr. Chai is a working professional. But I also fear that as a result of the small sum involved and because of the bureaucracies that are involved, he will be deprive himself of the justice that he , I believe, deserves.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 9:00 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I'm not wishing to hijack this thread, but it doesn't seem a worthy enough point to have it's own thread - but---

Has anyone ever managed to make MH online check-in work?

I'm no dunce, have no problems with the myriad of other airlines online check-in, but have never managed to get past the initial page. Either with Enrich Card, Ticket Number or VL.

I'd like someone to say it's just me, as I still have plenty of faith in MH! (Mind you at 6ft5, and normally found down back i'm very loyal to anyone who gives me 34 inches!).
Old Feb 2, 2010, 4:31 pm

Last week, tried MH online check-in and failed. Phoned call centre who for once, was prompt in picking up phone and did not redirect me to numerous other depts...

I was told that the check-in system is much more responsive to ticket number than other methods such as Enrich card or booking reference.... Managed to check in after advice from agent, but could not print out boarding pass (not first experience...)

I too had checked in online with other airlines previously without any problem. The MH IT dept, as I have said before, really need to have a major revamp before it can 'win back customer confidence'.

I concur with chowinlondon that Mr Khan's comment that " we have not received any complaints of such nature" could be due purely to skewed representation of the problem - ie complaints not even filed due to various local reasons and culture, and even if filed was not brought to top management's attention until it had brewed up to a storm in f.talk, since the official customer satisfaction channel is either too tardy or just offer sweet nothing promises. Recognizing one's failure, in this case, the lousy MH IT system, would be the first step in improving customer satisfaction. MH's simple-minded experiment and response sent chills down my spine that maybe MH is really beyond redemption/expectation.

On a lighter note, maybe Mr Chai made 3 bookings to his name just to pull MH's leg and to test the system
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:03 pm

Unhappy

Oh how familiar all this sounds to me. Yesterday I spent a total of 5 hours trying to buy tickets through Malaysia Airlines online booking system. And, you guessed it, I still don't have the tickets. 2 hours and 40 minutes of this time I spent on the phone with their customer support (no exaggeration here - I looked at my call logs). I live in Thailand so I learned what patience means but I must say that MA customer support is hands down the worst I ever experienced anywhere in the world.

The problem I had was, again, with a website glitch. Not the same as OP had - my problem was that my card kept being declined. There is nothing wrong with my card whatsoever and I called my bank two times to make sure that there is no issue on their side and both times they confirmed that no declined transactions can be seen in the system. And I trust them. Kasikorn bank has a very helpful and professional CS and they've never let me down before.

On the other side, there is MA's support where they:
- put me on hold for 30 minutes straight,
- they keep telling me that everything is fine on their end,
- then they tell me that I should have some security code (issued by my bank) because I am buying from outside of Malaysia (never heard of this before, and no it's not CCV code),
- then they transfer me to another operator and I have to explain everything from the very beginning,
- then they put me on hold again,
- then they say OK, we have a solution for you: you can book by phone but the price they offer me is $4,300 instead of $2500 - almost double!!!,
- then I start raising my voice,
- then they put me on hold again for 20 minutes or so,
- and finally they come back to tell me that the problem might be my popup blocker
- so I deactivate my popup blocker and try again but there still was no popup during the booking process
- then I just didn't have energy to call them again so I gave up and decided to fly with some other company

To spend 5 HOURS and still not have the tickets, can you imagine that?
Old Feb 11, 2010, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Goldmundo
Oh how familiar all this sounds to me. Yesterday I spent a total of 5 hours trying to buy tickets through Malaysia Airlines online booking system. And, you guessed it, I still don't have the tickets. 2 hours and 40 minutes of this time I spent on the phone with their customer support (no exaggeration here - I looked at my call logs). I live in Thailand so I learned what patience means but I must say that MA customer support is hands down the worst I ever experienced anywhere in the world.

The problem I had was, again, with a website glitch. Not the same as OP had - my problem was that my card kept being declined. There is nothing wrong with my card whatsoever and I called my bank two times to make sure that there is no issue on their side and both times they confirmed that no declined transactions can be seen in the system. And I trust them. Kasikorn bank has a very helpful and professional CS and they've never let me down before.

On the other side, there is MA's support where they:
- put me on hold for 30 minutes straight,
- they keep telling me that everything is fine on their end,
- then they tell me that I should have some security code (issued by my bank) because I am buying from outside of Malaysia (never heard of this before, and no it's not CCV code),
- then they transfer me to another operator and I have to explain everything from the very beginning,
- then they put me on hold again,
- then they say OK, we have a solution for you: you can book by phone but the price they offer me is $4,300 instead of $2500 - almost double!!!,
- then I start raising my voice,
- then they put me on hold again for 20 minutes or so,
- and finally they come back to tell me that the problem might be my popup blocker
- so I deactivate my popup blocker and try again but there still was no popup during the booking process
- then I just didn't have energy to call them again so I gave up and decided to fly with some other company

To spend 5 HOURS and still not have the tickets, can you imagine that?

Please beware! I had almost similar problem previously. When MH realised the computer glitch a day later, its online booking team traced back the declined bookings and manually issue tickets for all the declined attempts, resulting quadruple bookings and quadruple charges to my credit card!!! And lots of hassle in claiming back money..... please check your email for e-ticket confirmation and with your bank the next few days in case its team decided to do this again.

Your experience just reaffirmed my belief on this issue which I had mentioned previously in this forum : its IT dept needs to be revamped. However, if there is autocratic protection from the top for such mistakes and glitches, would you expect the system be significantly improved (beyond expectation)?

Last edited by kenyalang69; Feb 11, 2010 at 1:17 am Reason: add info
Old Feb 12, 2010, 8:45 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Enrich Silver, KrisFlyer, AsiaMiles, BAEC, QF FF, Marriott Elite Silver
I never had any problem with either online booking or check-in with MH. Maybe I am just lucky?
Old Feb 12, 2010, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
For international flights, I book through a travel agent (myself). But for low internal malaysia fares, I then book thru the MH website. No problems before. But mind you the last time I did that was in Aug 09.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 4:01 pm

The time when Goldmundo makes his booking coincides with MH's promotional period. I had to book some flights for my family members in Malaysia. Initially when I made flight searches, it will return as "The page cannot be displayed" but after trying an hour or so later everything went fine (though the system was quite slow then).

I think what Goldmundo highlighted is precisely what my previous experience with MH was. In a good organization, you should expect to be transferred once - to the right department, and that should be it.

And then in terms of problem solving, I cited my case with Krisflyer website not applying the correct 25% discount to my booking, and how they solved the problem perfectly within an hour. I know his case is different in that it is a revenue booking, but if he genuinely had problem with web booking, surely they should be able to offer something more acceptable, e.g. phone booking at internet prices, or maybe just a slight surcharge.

What I wonder about the MH call centre staff is that, other than maybe making simple bookings, how much are they trained to deal with more complex customer requests? I have contacted one or two who were excellent, but for most others, their standards are really low.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 9:59 pm

Hmm...is Malaysia Airlines ground staff that bad? The last time when my flight was cancelled, I contact Changi Airport ground staff, they respond to me in the morning by their office staff (I called them at 1am) and put me on the next avaliable flight. I feel they have hande it quite professionally. And the service onboard quite good too. But that was last year and I departed from my home airport, Changi. I was going to book my trip to Bali via KL until I saw this thread. Is the service in KLIA that bad? If so, even though KLM service not the best, but a direct flight to Bali with them doesn't seem bad too if they save me the trouble.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 2:33 am
Original Poster

I'm back.....in one piece...

It has been a while since my last reply and thanks Dr.Amin for paying a visit on this thread. It was a pleasant flight as expected from MAS always with friendly "cabin crew". Sorry for not updating this soonest possible as my case was resolved in a win-win situation. Send me a private message should you require knowing more. => Cheers and Happy Chinese New Year for those who celebrating. Lastly, to all MAS ground-staff it is important to response your customer ASAP in whatever situation before it reaches here as it will bring much disgrace to your services & fame, worst to the country.

Dr Amin,

My advice to you by conducting a simple survey should you thinking of facing the true responses of your online booking system from the users else if you still insist your system is perfect and friendly. I have nothing much to share as you already harden your heart.

Last edited by david.chai; Feb 19, 2010 at 2:56 am
Old Feb 19, 2010, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
For international flights, I book through a travel agent (myself). But for low internal malaysia fares, I then book thru the MH website. No problems before. But mind you the last time I did that was in Aug 09.
I've never had success booking on the MH website even with all the security protocols like Secure Code, etc. I have learned, however, that MH website doesn't always offer the cheapest rates. Often Orbitz has a cheaper fare, even ex-KUL. Most recently I bought a KUL-BKK for about $140+tax roundtrip, MH website was quoting over $400+tax for the same dates. The Orbitz ticket even included a TG codeshare. In the past I've also used Orbitz to grab AI codeshares on SQ for a lot cheaper than an SQ ticket.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan * United * Southwest * Avios * Alaska * Marriott * Hyatt
I used MH online booking engine once last year... I had to fax my canadian credit card details to their office in LAX as their online system was not setup to handle/accept my card.

I also had major trouble in receiving MH enrich miles for a AF flight. Eventually (like after 4 months from my initial complaint) after multiple correspondences I received 'partial' miles. They were acting as if they are doing a major favor for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.