Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with China Airlines miles?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

What to do with China Airlines miles?

I just realized I have 6522 miles in my China Airlines Dynasty Flyer Service account and they are set to expire in January 2013.

Is there any way I can transfer these points out or extend the expiration of these points without actually flying with them? Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
I just realized I have 6522 miles in my China Airlines Dynasty Flyer Service account and they are set to expire in January 2013....
CI miles cannot be extended, not even by flying. With this amount of miles, you can only use it for excess baggage or lounge access (for Gold+ members).
Old Aug 23, 2012, 4:21 pm

They really live up to their reputation of being cheap.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
CI miles cannot be extended, not even by flying. With this amount of miles, you can only use it for excess baggage or lounge access (for Gold+ members).
You can use miles for lounge access if you're not Gold or higher. If you're Gold or higher, you already get lounge access complimentary.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lolstebbo
You can use miles for lounge access if you're not Gold or higher. If you're Gold or higher, you already get lounge access complimentary.
Yes, you are correct. Gold+ members can redeem for additional lounge guests beyond entitlement.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
You can redeem some calling cards or magazines...
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
You can redeem some calling cards or magazines...
How? I looked around the website, terrible interface and really outdated appearance. I don't think they've upgraded that site for the last 4 years!
Old Aug 24, 2012, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
How? I looked around the website, terrible interface and really outdated appearance. I don't think they've upgraded that site for the last 4 years!
They did. They added that SkyTeam tab and updated their logo.

I did a report about Taiwanese web design deficiencies a few years back for an internship. This is a pretty good example of what's wrong.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 4:39 pm

You can use your miles for a minor discount when you purchase your next qualified ticket. However, you would never get out of the trap that you are in, i.e. to continue flying China Airlines.
If I were you, I would just forget it; otherwise, you spend so much effort trying to figure out how to take advantage of the silly 7000 miles. Good luck and keep us posted how you end up disposing the miles.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 6:19 pm

Lol, I just checked and it's not in their English Menu...

Here...

https://calec.china-airlines.com/clu....asp#awardtype

Make sure you log in first on the original website then click the link.

There are six selections:

Magazines
- Only 1 kind left
Everyday items
- N/A at this moment
Travel products
- Discounts on Dynasty Packages
Restaurant and dining
- All novetel related
China Mobile
- 2k miles for $200 Int'l Calling Card
- 3k miles for $300 Int'l Calling Card
- 5k miles for $520 Int'l Calling Card
- I am not too sure the difference between pre-paid and economy, you should check with China Mobile's website.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 1:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM; QF VA CI KL KE
Lol, I just checked and it's not in their English Menu...

Here...

https://calec.china-airlines.com/clu....asp#awardtype

Make sure you log in first on the original website then click the link.
I and Mrs bnebased both have about 40K CI miles which expire at the end of 2013. Sorry, even with google translate I can't readily figure which (if any) of these options might be of value to us. We are transiting Taipei (about 36 hours in Taoyuan) next month (flying BR rather than CI) and visiting downtown for five days in October. We have STPC with BR (Monarch Plaza Hotel) for the transit, otherwise the Novotel options might have been useful.

Any suggestions (apart from short-haul flights)? When we bought our fares we valued the miles at zero, so won't be heartbroken if that is all we get. Any future CI miles figure to go to our Skyteam FB accounts.

(CI seems to have devalued its offerings out of BNE relative to BR for us, so whether we ever fly with them again is dubious. Of course all that will depend on future airline prices, etc., so who can guess?)

Last edited by bnebased; Aug 25, 2012 at 2:09 am
Old Aug 25, 2012, 2:07 am

20k per person or 40k? If it's 40k you can actually redeem an upgrade to Business if you purchase Economy from them or an award ticket from Taipei to one city in Asia they fly or Brisbane to Auckland R/T. If it's 20k then I guess you can do upgrades on Taipei to one city in Asia they fly O/W or Brisbane to Auckland O/W and use up the other 5k for calling cards in Taiwan.

In any case, it won't expire till end of 2013, maybe you will fly somewhere else and have a use for it...
--
CI probably devalued BNE a bit because they can fill additional seats via AKL.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 2:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM; QF VA CI KL KE
20k per person or 40k? ...

In any case, it won't expire till end of 2013, maybe you will fly somewhere else and have a use for it...
--
CI probably devalued BNE a bit because they can fill additional seats via AKL.
Thanks for your comments.

40K each. Sadly the upgradeable fares seem to be not enough cheaper than Z to make them worthwhile. 35K gives us shorthaul Y, but we don't like Y much. OK shorthaul, I guess. Most likely use is BNE-AKL.

On looking at the new rules it looks like some miles might actually expire in May 2013, rather than the end of the year.

Your last comment re AKL is probably right. CI offer some much better Z class fares out of SYD than out of BNE. I rang the CI BNE manager to ask for similar prices, but CI would not do anything about it. So I did, moving to BR. I will be able to compare CI and BR Z after our next trip.

Last edited by bnebased; Aug 25, 2012 at 3:15 am
Old Aug 25, 2012, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by bnebased
Your last comment re AKL is probably right. CI offer some much better Z class fares out of SYD than out of BNE. I rang the CI BNE manager to ask for similar prices, but CI would not do anything about it. So I did, moving to BR. I will be able to compare CI and BR Z after our next trip.
SYD is also getting AKL tag on so I am sure the fare on SYD will be equivalent to BNE very soon. Enjoy your flight with BR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.