Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Other Air Travel including Private & Non-Airline Aviation
Reload this Page >

Charters/Plane Model for Carlsbad (CLD) to Kauai (LIH)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Thought I'd try FT for any assistance on this topic.

Background: Booking a charter for my boss.

- Preference is from CLD to LIH
- "Fully Loaded" - 9 to 11 Passengers plus heavy baggage

After looking around, is this flight even possible? CLD has a short runway plus having a fully loaded mid-sized plane such as a G280 might not work (runway distance + distance fully loaded)

Wondering if anyone could shed a little light on this.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by willsfo
- Preference is from CLD to LIH
- "Fully Loaded"

is this flight even possible? CLD has a short runway plus having a fully loaded mid-sized plane such as a G280 might not work (runway distance + distance fully loaded) Wondering if anyone could shed a little light on this.
savannahnow.com/node/198458/photos
The G280 set three pending records en route to Avalon.

The aircraft took off at maximum weight from Carlsbad, Calif., where it demonstrated its takeoff capabilities from the 4,897-foot short runway. It then flew six people - three passengers and three crew members – 2,322 nautical miles to Honolulu in 5 hours and 31 minutes.

The aircraft then flew the 2,292 nautical miles from Honolulu to Pago Pago in 5 hours and 12 minutes. The 2,846-mile flight from Pago Pago to Melbourne was accomplished in 7 hours and 16 minutes.

G280 has set 22 city-pair records since it entered service last year.

Since entering service in November 2012, the G280 demonstrator has visited 65 cities in 15 countries, accumulating more than 340 flight hours. Its longest nonstop flight was from Savannah to London, a journey of 3,676 nautical miles.
seems LIH only 52 nautical miles farther than HNL
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Operating Part 135 to Hawaii is an exceptionally complex mission. US West Coast to Hawaii is among the longest hops without a diversion point in the world?

Not all charter operators will have OpSpecs that allow them to operate to Hawaii. The major players with heavy iron on their 135 ticket (i.e. EJM, Solairus, Key Air, DPJ, Clay Lacy, Jet Aviation, etc.) will.

I would absolutely NOT assume that GAC's ability to fly a G280 demonstration flight CLD-HNL under Part 91 means that the same mission could be legally flown with 8-10 pax under Part 135.

(And there is no G280 configuration out there with more than 10 passenger seats. Also flying 10 or more seat aircraft Part 135 imposes different rules than 9 or less)

While it will be more expensive, I would probably look for someone with something like a Falcon 2000EX/LX, Falcon 50EX or Falcon 900 (for those who like three engines) G-IV/IVSP, or Challenger 601/604 on their ticket to do a charter to Hawaii.

OP - feel free to shoot me a PM and I will be happy to call you to discuss if you would like to pick my brain.

(Also noticed, OP, that you have "sfo" in your handle. Don't treat this as a recommendation per se but I should probably point out that Solairus is headquartered close to SFO in Petaluma. They are an operator I respect. I have no direct relationship with Solairus but have had clients select them for aircraft management in the past.)

Last edited by Herb687; Sep 26, 2016 at 5:48 pm Reason: add Solairus commentary
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great post as always, thanks Herb687
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:46 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
You've probably already selected a charter company, but if not XOJet does frequent charters to Hawaii on the Citation X. Max of 8 pax though, so that may not be enough.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:52 am

Jetsmarter app shows a handful of choices, starting at about $50k and going up to about $100k. (Challenger 604, GIV-SP, Falcon 900, etc.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.