Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: elitetraveler
JetSmarter is a membership program that allows members to fly on empty legs of private jets (JetDeals) and seats on scheduled private jet shuttles (JetShuttle).
Print Wikipost

JetSmarter - discussion and experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by backdoc
Hi,

I hope all is well.

Just a heads up that we just introduced phenomenal savings on both our Smart and Sophisticated Memberships by purchasing two or three years upfront.

I am happy to calculate for you if you are interested.

Thank you again!

Yeah, right.....
Hmm, that's interesting. Wonder what sort of discount they're offering. A little worrisome though... I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a year right now, but two or three with all the changes they do makes me cautious.

In other news, a fantastic service recovery yesterday on BFI-OAK. XO cancelled the flight about 7 hours out, and JS managed to find another charter for us in about two hours. Stressful that it cancelled, but they came through. My unrecovered cancellation rate on empties has gone from 40% in 2016 to 6% (!) in 2017...
Old May 4, 2017, 3:02 pm

No more liquidity ?

According to a friend of mine working in the private aviation business, Jetsmarter is desperately trying to raise money at a crazy valuation. Their bank account is almost empty and that's the reason why they are charging shuttles / reducing empty legs. They could be out of business in the following months if they don't raise money from somewhere. Of course it's just a rumor but I won't be surprised if it's true.

I've also noticed many bugs in the last Jetsmarter update, this update is not stable.
Old May 4, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by freq.flyer
According to a friend of mine working in the private aviation business, Jetsmarter is desperately trying to raise money at a crazy valuation. Their bank account is almost empty and that's the reason why they are charging shuttles / reducing empty legs. They could be out of business in the following months if they don't raise money from somewhere. Of course it's just a rumor but I won't be surprised if it's true.

I've also noticed many bugs in the last Jetsmarter update, this update is not stable.
I'm sticking by my prediction that without raising more money they've got through Winter 2018. Hopefully they can raise more, but I'm not sure how feasible that is... member growth seems to have stagnated, at least in net numbers. I think they're signing up a lot of people still but a number of people are leaving. Reference wingnut, four posts up.

They need to focus on building a profitable business, which I think is probably empty legs (assuming they can get those for cheap) and short-haul shuttles. Sure its sexy to say you're connecting the world from LA to New York to London to Dubai, but the business case isn't there. Saving people time on the LA<->SF or BOS<->NYC or NYC<->MIA is a viable business, and my back-of-the-envelope math says it should work. So does the success of companies like SurfAir.

I wouldn't read too much into the rumors from other people in the biz. Like most other similar startups, all the entrenched people want them to fail, because it threatens their core business. I've been hearing that the bank account is almost empty since just about day one. Maybe it's true this time, but hard to see how they could have burned through $105MM since December 2016, when they last raised money.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by dordal
In other news, a fantastic service recovery yesterday on BFI-OAK. XO cancelled the flight about 7 hours out, and JS managed to find another charter for us in about two hours. Stressful that it cancelled, but they came through. My unrecovered cancellation rate on empties has gone from 40% in 2016 to 6% (!) in 2017...
I don't understand how other people get this treatment. I've been on no less than 10 empty legs which have been re-routed or had mechanical problems leading to cancellations, most of the times after I've accepted the invoice and received a confirmation (at which point they would have charged me had I been the one to cancel). All I get is a poorly worded form note through the app stating something to the effect of "unfortunately my flight was not confirmed by the operator." By their contractual definition, the flight had indeed been confirmed, but subsequently canceled. All they've done is thrown in some flight credits to offset the cash cost of airline tickets etc...certainly not chartered another plane for me at their cost.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P

iOS or Android app? I haven't had any issues with iOS.

I've heard they're broke or going broke for the entire time they've been in operation.

I haven't noticed any DPJ empties lately and the London<>Dubai route seems to be no more though
Old May 4, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by OptionsCLE
I don't understand how other people get this treatment. I've been on no less than 10 empty legs which have been re-routed or had mechanical problems leading to cancellations, most of the times after I've accepted the invoice and received a confirmation (at which point they would have charged me had I been the one to cancel). All I get is a poorly worded form note through the app stating something to the effect of "unfortunately my flight was not confirmed by the operator." By their contractual definition, the flight had indeed been confirmed, but subsequently canceled. All they've done is thrown in some flight credits to offset the cash cost of airline tickets etc...certainly not chartered another plane for me at their cost.
When's the last time you had a cancellation after confirmation? There seems to have been a policy change a month or two ago (perhaps longer, but certainly sometime this year). My understanding is that they still won't arrange alternate transportation because of mechanical issues (because they're issues "outside their control"), but they will do it if the carrier has a schedule change that redirects the empty leg (which is super-common with XOJet).

Personally I've had two alternate charters because of an XOJet schedule change in the last few months.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by Townshend

I've heard they're broke or going broke for the entire time they've been in operation.

I haven't noticed any DPJ empties lately and the London<>Dubai route seems to be no more though
United, American, Delta - I think they all were bankrupt, but they all still seem to be afloat enough to drag people up and down their aisles..... so I'm not sure a bank account being big or small is hugely relevant, especially in this industry. If the same plane has an uneventful takeoff AND landing, it's a successful business if I'm a passenger on board, and last I checked, JetSmarter are still delivering to that end! :-)

As for DPJ - that contract ended in April I believe. DPJ no more.
Old May 6, 2017, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Townshend

iOS app.. It's crazy how deals are now exceptional, they've deleted DPJ, Air Hamburg (Which provided at least 150 seats per week in Europe). Now they've simply removed them, without any notice or explanation and they're not replacing them..

They've also killed the Paris - Geneva and Paris-Milan shuttles (return flights too). I really don't understand..

So more members for less flights. At the end it's no secret, they want to reduce the perks to save money. But in this case I won't renew my membership as well. Of course it's cool to hang out in private jets, but Jetsmarter is not reliable at all and I don't think that it's gonna be better again anytime soon..
Old May 8, 2017, 5:25 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by wingnuthead
Not going to renew my jetsmarter. Was a total waste of money. They seem to care more about the celebrity of their CEO, than they do actually have a stable air service. I get emails talking about being a "Unicorn" (company valuation), and how all these supermodels use the service. I don't care.

Each time I tried to use it on transcon, I couldn't get a return, and the short price on return on commercial blew the value out of the water. It ended up being a complete waste of $12K. Fortunately, it won't break me. And my business partner who signed up first is walking away too.

Besides it being a bait and switch, it feels like a cheesebag silicon valley style hype based ponzi scheme to me. The whole thing reeks of bad behavior and too young "bros" trying to be rich and famous. Not my style. Good luck to them, but I'm out
Nothing Silicon Valley about it… they're based in Florida and are sleazy as hell. TBH, I find it has much more of the Florida glitzy sleaze vs. the SV smug sleaze.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:32 am

My renewal is up next month and I just got an offer from JetSmarter to pay 2 or 3 years in advanced for their Sophisticated membership at a discount.

1-year: 0% discount, $50,000 / year ($20,000 flight credit)
2-year: 20% discount, $40,000 / year, or $80,000 total ($40,000 credit)
3-year: 35% discount, $32,500 / year, or $97,500 total ($60,000 credit)
Old May 8, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by ensnare
My renewal is up next month and I just got an offer from JetSmarter to pay 2 or 3 years in advanced for their Sophisticated membership at a discount.

1-year: 0% discount, $50,000 / year ($20,000 flight credit)
2-year: 20% discount, $40,000 / year, or $80,000 total ($40,000 credit)
3-year: 35% discount, $32,500 / year, or $97,500 total ($60,000 credit)

Can you use this flight credit to charter a whole jet ??
Old May 8, 2017, 11:56 am

Can you use this flight credit to charter a whole jet ??
Yes.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:24 pm

I was looking at shuttles to NYC, and noticed the heli-transfer fee is now $250 each way.

It would really be great if they just moved these flights to Teterboro.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, DL Amex Reserve, AMEX Plat, + GE & Clear
Originally Posted by millions
I was looking at shuttles to NYC, and noticed the heli-transfer fee is now $250 each way.

It would really be great if they just moved these flights to Teterboro.
From ATL, it appears that they are changing the NYC shuttle starting next month to:

1) Use light Learjet 45 (8 seats) vs the previous heavy Challenger 850s (15 seats);

2) Fly into Teterboro vs White Plains;

3) Change the ATL-NYC days to Thurs & Sun (vs Weds & Sun before), and change the NYC-ATL days to Mon & Fri (vs Tues & Fri) - conceivably giving a faster turnaround to fly JS both ways

4) Roughly changing the ATL-NYC times later, to evening vs late afternoon, and slight changes to the previous month of NYC-ATL time
This is all to say that they may revert or change back the month after that, but for someone like myself who is considering membership right now, it does seem worthwhile, despite a lack of consistency or communication.

Also, to confirm, the Heli-transfers both ways from Teterboro are $150 vs $250 in/out of White Plains (not avail to SIMPLE members).

Last edited by Hossy; May 8, 2017 at 2:44 pm
Old May 10, 2017, 8:56 am

I think that they've deleted all Air Hamburg empty legs flights, haven't seen a flight in weeks ! (XLS+, CJ2, CJ3, Phenom 300, King Air 200 and months ago Legacy's 650 and 600)....

So now in Europe we only have SFD (empty flights only to/from Stuttgart) and mustang planes...

I really hope that it's just temporary..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.