Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: elitetraveler
JetSmarter is a membership program that allows members to fly on empty legs of private jets (JetDeals) and seats on scheduled private jet shuttles (JetShuttle).
Print Wikipost

JetSmarter - discussion and experiences

Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:27 pm

Deleted

Last edited by dval44; Feb 24, 2017 at 7:27 pm Reason: duplicate
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: WY SL, EK Gold, CX MPO
Has sign up for trial membership ended? The app says 0 days left and only the option to upgrade to simple membership. Was hoping to try it out...
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by dval44
Ok, so here's the thing. I looked into the Barsky issue. He is charged with five counts of grand theft by embezzlement. This was a multi-state operation as he will be extradited to California. I know everyone is innocent until proven guilty, etc., but usually you don't get five charges and face extradition for a clerical error.

Here's the biggest issue for me. From my experience with the the company, it does not strike me as surprising. He fits the flashy, style over substance mould of what I've come to know as a JS member.

Simply reviewing his personal website (http://gennadybarsky.com/) is enough to convince me within 5 minutes that I would never want him working for my company. He describes himself as a, "brilliant lesson in quality time management." Huh? And they hired him for president? Then it's followed by two bizarre run-on sentence that describe him "generously" putting his heart into "structuring vital financial transactions." But JS decided he should not only work for them, but lead their entire organization. Where did he go to school? Harvard? Stanford? On Quora he describes himself as a "renowned real estate mogul."

I met a guy on a JS flight to Miami who asked me to book hotel rooms for him so he could have "girls" over without him being on the reservation. JS has received no funding from smart money (Kleiner Perkins, Benchmark, Sequoia, etc.). All the videos and promos show them drinking champaign with fancy watches and boats. Sales are slimy AF.

Everyone gets their day in court, but this is all smelling way to rotten for me to hang around. As much as I loved some of the experiences, and love the idea, I don't think it can last. Just my two cents.
Well said. There's something to be said about the "tone at the top". When executive management has an attitude like this, it usually permeates the entire organization. I wish I could see what was happening behind the scenes here. I imagine that management knows this isn't going to last, and are just enjoying life while they still have investor money propping them up.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 4:00 am

Dogs in JetDeals ?

I took recently a jet deal with a guy and his dog, it was quite fun to see a dog in a private jet. What are the terms to bring your dog ? Do you need to pay some specials fees or it's free ?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by rob777
I took recently a jet deal with a guy and his dog, it was quite fun to see a dog in a private jet. What are the terms to bring your dog ? Do you need to pay some specials fees or it's free ?
On a shuttle or empty leg, the dog must be a service animal and must be coordinated in advance--the terms don't alllow pets. If you're paying for a full aircraft charter, then pets are allowed if the operator allows them (most do, but some planes are excluded).
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Sykes
On a shuttle or empty leg, the dog must be a service animal and must be coordinated in advance--the terms don't alllow pets. If you're paying for a full aircraft charter, then pets are allowed if the operator allows them (most do, but some planes are excluded).
It was on a JetDeal..
Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:59 am
Suspended

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/3/148...sored-articles

"We’ve seen plenty of aggressive requests from companies that want positive coverage, but perhaps none as absurd as what we just got from JetSmarter — a startup that’s been called the “Uber for private jets.” In exchange for a demonstration of the service (a round-trip flight in the US), JetSmarter sent us an agreement that demands an uncritical puff piece.

The rub? JetSmarter wanted the credit card number of a Verge reporter, so that it could charge them $2,000 if they didn’t publish a positive story “within 5 business days.”
Old Mar 4, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

dval44, interesting post, especially re member on flight..

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
We’ve seen plenty of aggressive requests from companies that want positive coverage, but perhaps none as absurd as what we just got from JetSmarter
heh, a new classic, unless this happens more than one would think
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:02 am

C

Originally Posted by DLH441
And even worst as they started to charge snacks (50$), soft drinks and alcohol ! (100$ - flat rate !!)
where did you get this snack and drink charge info? On the short shuttles, I will bring my own now. Pilots can turn around to see what you doing
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by rob777
with a doctors note
Old Mar 5, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, TK Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by JS Member
where did you get this snack and drink charge info? On the short shuttles, I will bring my own now. Pilots can turn around to see what you doing
On the flights deal, nothing is included

For the Empty-Leg flights only, a $50.00 fee shall be assessed for each mini-bottle of alcohol consumed (beer, wine or liquor). A flat fee of $100.00 will be assessed for all refreshments and snacks consumed (other than water), regardless of the amount consumed.
Point 6 of their charter terms.. Can you imagine, 50 USD for a beer ??

Just checked again their terms, maybe it's new but wow it's insane

EACH MEMBER ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT, EXCEPT FOR THE EXPRESS REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES CONTAINED IN THIS AGREEMENT AND IN THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, IN EACH CASE AS AMENDED FROM TIME TO TIME, (A) NEITHER JETSMARTER NOR ANY OTHER PERSON ON JETSMARTER'S BEHALF HAS MADE OR MAKES ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY, EITHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, WHETHER ARISING BY LAW, COURSE OF DEALING, COURSE OF PERFORMANCE, USAGE, TRADE OR OTHERWISE, ALL OF WHICH ARE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED, AND (B) EACH MEMBER ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT IN DECIDING TO PURCHASE A MEMBERSHIP HE, SHE OR IT HAS NOT RELIED UPON ANY REPRESENTATION, WARRANTY OR DISCLOSURE MADE BY JETSMARTER OR ANY OTHER PERSON ON JETSMARTER'S BEHALF, EXCEPT AS SPECIFICALLY PROVIDED IN THIS AGREEMENT OR IN THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, IN EACH CASE AS AMENDED FROM TIME TO TIME.
Point 12 - Membership agreements

Means that they have the right to delete all shuttles flights, all flight deals, all perks. And we can't complain !

It's crazy if you're reading the Jetsmarter terms, they're protecting themselves against everything. They declared that they can do what they want, and that we the members can't say a word about it.

Even complaining online is strictly forbidden by this agreement..

Feel free to read again the agreement, I'm convinced that some lawyers will find this case on the edge of legality

https://jetsmarter.com/legal/membership-agreement/
Old Mar 5, 2017, 9:28 pm

Two new articles that may interest people:

1.) The Verge wrote an article entitled, "JetSmarter tries to extort journalists for positive coverage." The basic idea is that journalists get a free ride but must produce a full-length, positive story within 5 days or get charged $2k.

2.) Forbes wrote a quick piece on the Barksy arrest. The tone was negative, it talked about shuffling among the executive team, and has an auditor on record saying it "Raises red flags."
Old Mar 6, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by DLH441
On the flights deal, nothing is included

Point 6 of their charter terms.. Can you imagine, 50 USD for a beer ??
That's been in the T&C for a long time; never heard of anyone actually being charged.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by millions
That's been in the T&C for a long time; never heard of anyone actually being charged.
There was a poster upthread who was charged, and I know of one other case where they charged it. I'll have something almost every flight, and have never been charged. But I'm always respectful... I always ask the pilots if I can grab something, and then I grab what I want to eat/drink right then. I don't stuff my backpack full of minis.

IMO Jetsmarter has that term in there for the abusers, which I think is pretty reasonable. If you clean them out it that's borderline stealing, and means the crew has to run to the liquor store between flights to restock. If you do that you should be paying through the nose... or just have your membership revoked.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/3/148...sored-articles

"We’ve seen plenty of aggressive requests from companies that want positive coverage, but perhaps none as absurd as what we just got from JetSmarter — a startup that’s been called the “Uber for private jets.” In exchange for a demonstration of the service (a round-trip flight in the US), JetSmarter sent us an agreement that demands an uncritical puff piece.

The rub? JetSmarter wanted the credit card number of a Verge reporter, so that it could charge them $2,000 if they didn’t publish a positive story “within 5 business days.”
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
dval44, interesting post, especially re member on flight..

heh, a new classic, unless this happens more than one would think
This article claims the policy is illegal:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/jetsmarter-...ervice-1610036

I wonder if any lawyers have a viewpoint on some of the other elements in the Jetsmarter contracts that have been discussed here?

Would they hold up in court?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.