Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: elitetraveler
JetSmarter is a membership program that allows members to fly on empty legs of private jets (JetDeals) and seats on scheduled private jet shuttles (JetShuttle).
Print Wikipost

JetSmarter - discussion and experiences

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
Did the New York-London Shuttle, great experience.

Flight HPN-LTN Friday Sept. 21 @ 9am.

Shuttle Group called the night before to inform that no helicopter would be available due to weather so to meet at the heliport and they'd supply ground transport. We were driven to the airport in a Navigator and met up with the other passengers at the airport. With passports checked and bags screened we boarded and were quickly in the air. All male passengers ranging in age from mid 30's to mid 50's. The flight attendant was exceptionally attentive, and the food spectacular. If this the food that would be served on the coast to coast flights for the proposed $150 premium, its worth it.

This trip was by far the quietest Jetsmarter trip, no boisterousness, a few doing work and the rest watching movies or sleeping. Upon arrival in Luton an immigrations and customs agent boarded and collected everyone's passports and within 10 min were off the plane and into our waiting limousines.

Luton is quite far from everything but landing at 9pm makes getting across town a breeze. It took an hour to get from Luton Airport to Blakes Hotel in South Kensington for 90 GBP from London Heathrow Cars.

Was it worth the extra $1990 to fly Jetsmarter across the pond? Yes. Would I do it again? Yes, in a heartbeat.

Last edited by backdoc; Oct 23, 2016 at 2:33 am
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by backdoc

Shuttle Group called the night before to inform that no helicopter would be available due to weather so to meet at the heliport and they'd supply ground transport. We were driven to the airport in a Navigator and met up with the other passengers at the airport. With passports checked and bags screened we boarded and were quickly in the air. All male passengers ranging in age from mid 30's to mid 50's. The flight attendant was exceptionally attentive, and the food spectacular. If this the food that would be served on the coast to coast flights for the proposed $150 premium, its worth it.

This trip was by far the quietest Jetsmarter trip, no boisterousness, a few doing work and the rest watching movies or sleeping. Upon arrival in Luton an immigrations and customs agent boarded and collected everyone's passports and within 10 min were off the plane and into our waiting limousines.

Luton is quite far from everything but landing at 9pm makes getting across town a breeze. It took an hour to get from Luton Airport to Blakes Hotel in South Kensington for 90 GBP from London Heathrow Cars.

Was it worth the extra $1990 to fly Jetsmarter across the pond? Yes. Would I do it again? Yes, in a heartbeat.
Glad you had a nice flight. Can you expand a little more on why you feel it was worth it? Time savings, comfort, or just the food?

How full was the flight? Was there wifi? What kind of wine was served? How was the cabin lit?

My concerns with paying $4,000 for a JS roundtrip vs. say a $3,121 rt upper class on Virgin Atlantic (just the price I found this moment on Kayak leaving the same date as JS's 11/18) is that Virgin Atlantic offers a private, lie-flat seat, with a variety of food, beverage, and entertainment options, while JS offers minimally-reclining seats opposite another passenger and no entertainment options for more money.

I certainly get the appeal of easy check-in and immigration procedures, and if the price were lower, the value proposition might be closer for me based on that alone. But based on my experiences with the transcon shuttles, the comfort element just isn't there.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by backdoc

Interesting, thanks for the review. I was thinking of doing that flight as well, so I think I'll give it a shot when I have time to get away.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:48 pm

Has anyone ever brought a service dog or been on a flight with one? Obviously they're allowed by federal law, but I just wanted to see how that went and if they were accommodating.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:15 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Well, I've been waiting for a few days to post this, because I'm so livid and don't want to seem like a monkey madly mashing the keyboard.

Was booked on an SDL-SFO empty last Thursday. Booked about 11am Wednesday for 8:30am takeoff Thursday. Round about 4pm, I look at the app and see my flight is gone, but there's a nearly identical Phoenix-Mesa (KIWA) to SFO the next day. Msg JS, and they tell me 'Oh, yeah we were about to contact you, but your flight has changed to go from Mesa airport, 26 miles from Scottsdale. Do you still want it?'

Somewhat annoyed that I had to notice, and that I've already booked accommodations for Wednesday night in Scottsdale, but I figure... OK. I'll deal. $50 Uber down there tomorrow, but it's still a private jet.

Take said Uber down, get to the FBO, and nobody has any idea about the flight. Finally they figure that the aircraft is up at the maintenance center on the other side of the field. I call JS to ask what's going on, and the guy couldn't have cared less.

'Oh yeah, that flight's been cancelled. Sorry.'

'Can you guys find another plane or give me a time estimate on the maintenance or anything?'

'No sir. We don't do service recovery for maintenance issues. I can connect you to the concierge who can book you a commercial flight at your expense.'

'No thanks; I'll book one myself.'

So I decide to go up to the maintenance center, just to see what's going on. No pilots of course, but maintenance center staff tells me the plane was flown in from Scottsdale the afternoon before for heavy maintenance. They couldn't get it done the night before, and it 'isn't going anywhere for a while.'

Giving up, I get a second $50 Uber to PHX, where I beg the United folks to let me get on a flight back to SFO -- I'd had a ticket for the 6:38am flight, but decided to throw it away since I was taking the private jet. To their credit ( and my millions of thanks! ) the UA rep said: "We really should charge a $200 change fee for this, but I know stuff happens. You're standby on the 10:41 and confirmed on the 2:15." About an hour later, I got the last seat on the 10:41... back of the bus in 18E, but I was happy to be on any plane going home.

The thing that really pisses me off here is that Delta Private Jets (the operator) and Jetsmarter KNEW the plane was going in for maintenance, and they should have known it wasn't done. The pilots didn't show up -- they clearly knew it wasn't going anywhere. But JS doesn't send me any kind of notice until I call, standing outside the FBO, only to tell me it's cancelled and I'm on my own.

I'm out $100+ in hard costs and lost half a day of work, all for something that could have been prevented with a little communication. I don't fault them for maintenance -- I know sh*t happens -- but when the flight cancels the night before due to unfinished maintenance, why wait till your client is standing outside the FBO calling you before telling him it's cancelled?

Last edited by dordal; Oct 23, 2016 at 11:23 pm
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:59 am

Man sorry to hear about your story, that sucks. I don't get their deal, like you said a little communication on their part and this could have been avoided. I would have also been really pissed.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by dordal
Well, I've been waiting for a few days to post this, because I'm so livid and don't want to seem like a monkey madly mashing the keyboard.
That is truly atrocious. I wish it was surprising. I assume had they even been a little empathetic and helpful to your situation, perhaps you'd be still rightly disappointed, but not angry as well. Their irreverence to customers who they've enticed smacks of greed, fraud and some of mankind's most unattractive characteristics. Dressing it up with the promise of black cars, 'private' jets and the champagne lifestyle implies we as their customers, are as arrogant and incorrigible as their behaviour indicates they are. I feel for you, and am sorry you went through it, but even more sorry because of the way you went through it.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P
I've learned to never book anything until I'm actually on the empty. Fortunately, I've never had one cancel on me. I check out Flightaware to see status updates. I do not rely on JS reps for info.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:52 pm

Some pics.

Originally Posted by mwood20
Interesting, thanks for the review. I was thinking of doing that flight as well, so I think I'll give it a shot when I have time to get away.
Attached Images      
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:03 pm

That's a nice plane there. Did you get a chance to get the tail number?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:39 pm

Yup.

Tail number: N721bs

Originally Posted by roaderman
that's a nice plane there. Did you get a chance to get the tail number?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P
What were the seating arrangements?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: AMEX Centurion, Skywards, JetSmarter, Etihad Guest, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Townshend

this should answer your question

http://www.flyaam.com/our-fleet/n721bs/#prettyPhoto
Old Oct 26, 2016, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Townshend
There are 11 seats listed, only 10 are to be occupied on the NYC-LONDON-NYC shuttles because the couch isn't used. So, if you want the couch grab it as you board.

Steve
Attached Images  
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Has anybody with founderscard actually signed up for the three month Jetsmarter trial? Want to make sure its legit before I dump my money into a Founderscard membership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.