Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: elitetraveler
JetSmarter is a membership program that allows members to fly on empty legs of private jets (JetDeals) and seats on scheduled private jet shuttles (JetShuttle).
Print Wikipost

JetSmarter - discussion and experiences

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by millions
I would love to know the methodology used to determine how many seats a member may book on a particular empty leg. For example, there is a 9-seat Challenger 604 going from Branson, MO to Sanford, FL on Thursday. Only two seats can be booked. Why? For one, there is good chance nobody is going to be booking this flight; but beyond that, wasn't the promise 3-5 seats? I wouldn't be surprised if now there is no representation of anything more than one seat, but that certainly hasn't always been the case. But why two on this flight, three on others?
For "smart" members, it's two seats on heavy jets, three on supermids, four on midsize, and five on light jets. I'm not sure what the logic is behind it, but I assume it is mostly due to the desirability of the aircraft and your proximity to neighbors on the plane.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Sykes
For "smart" members, it's two seats on heavy jets, three on supermids, four on midsize, and five on light jets. I'm not sure what the logic is behind it, but I assume it is mostly due to the desirability of the aircraft and your proximity to neighbors on the plane.
Huh. Thanks, I never connected those dots.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 3:11 pm

Is JS offering heli-transfers for all of these new shuttles in and out of Teterboro?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by millions
Is JS offering heli-transfers for all of these new shuttles in and out of Teterboro?
Which shuttles are you referring to? Also, I did confirm my heli transfers to/from Teterboro are free to and from the city (until I renew in April, if I do). So if I flew in to TEB and had to go to HPN, I guess I'd have to go to the city first, then to HPN? I'm in Boston so that shuttle only goes thru TEB.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:55 am

I meant to and from Boston and Dulles. I got a message yesterday that these were increasing in frequency, and it looks like 4 times each way to each city per week. The helis will be an enormous cost.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:48 pm

Can you post that message? I didn't get it one yesterday.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:09 pm

I have some great news that I knew you would want to know right away. Beginning October 31st, we're expanding our roundtrip DC-to-NYC and Boston-to-NYC route offerings. This means you now have even MORE ways to get to the Big Apple in HALF the time of a commercial flight. So skip the wait times at LaGuardia, JFK and Logan, and start planning your itinerary in the "Shuttle" section now.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:13 pm

Thumbs down Bait and switch watch out

I am a current jet smarter client. I paid 15 grand for my membership. Everything was fine until my first flight went poorly. Departure time was given on the app was not the actual departure time of the flight. They text me an update which I did not receive until a few minutes before flight departure. Despite arriving early the pilot watched my family and I stand on the tarmac while he did preflight check and took off. There was zero customer service afterward. I explain the problem to jet smarter and no one would help. I ended up paying $15,000 to charter through another service.

If you want customer service use another charter company. If you want concierge service choose another company. Jet smarter is your every day bait and switch.....former Nightclub drop outs turned to "concierge" service.

OVERALL TURN AND RUN FROM
THIS COMPANY.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by Gbrecka
I am a current jet smarter client. I paid 15 grand for my membership. Everything was fine until my first flight went poorly. Departure time was given on the app was not the actual departure time of the flight. They text me an update which I did not receive until a few minutes before flight departure. Despite arriving early the pilot watched my family and I stand on the tarmac while he did preflight check and took off. There was zero customer service afterward. I explain the problem to jet smarter and no one would help. I ended up paying $15,000 to charter through another service.

If you want customer service use another charter company. If you want concierge service choose another company. Jet smarter is your every day bait and switch.....former Nightclub drop outs turned to "concierge" service.

THIS COMPANY.
Did you get a refund? Any or all?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K
Out of the blue I received a phone call from JetSmarter yesterday. I had been lurking around, kicking the proverbial tires on this a while back, but never pulled the trigger because the business was changing literally every week. I've been around the block long enough to recognize a flawed (non-existent?) marketing plan and/or desperation.

Anyway, the rep called to offer me a "special deal" before 11/1. It is the same deal openly available to anyone. I pointed that out. He then told me that if I signed "today!" he would make sure I had a seat on the next flight leaving my area that had a celebrity on it. I laughed, told him he was selling me in reverse...there's no way I'd ever want to be on one of those charters, or associate with those that did. He then said "well, why were you interested in our service originally?" Say what? I told him initially it was enticing because it might afford me to get from point a to point b without the hassle of commercial travel, more efficiently, and theoretically in more comfort. He then told me that the biggest selling point on their end was the "sexy" aspect of "rolling up to the tarmac in a black car, boarding a private jet, snapchatting it, and having a glass of champagne in a Gulfstream." Word for word.

I'm in my 40's. I asked him to kindly take me off of the contact list. Man....this is such a great concept. Hopefully a more experienced, mature, and professional group of individuals launches a similar service in the future. It's possible that hasn't happened because in today's climate the economics don't work....
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by gold23
Out of the blue I received a phone call from JetSmarter yesterday. I had been lurking around, kicking the proverbial tires on this a while back, but never pulled the trigger because the business was changing literally every week. I've been around the block long enough to recognize a flawed (non-existent?) marketing plan and/or desperation.

Anyway, the rep called to offer me a "special deal" before 11/1. It is the same deal openly available to anyone. I pointed that out. He then told me that if I signed "today!" he would make sure I had a seat on the next flight leaving my area that had a celebrity on it. I laughed, told him he was selling me in reverse...there's no way I'd ever want to be on one of those charters, or associate with those that did. He then said "well, why were you interested in our service originally?" Say what? I told him initially it was enticing because it might afford me to get from point a to point b without the hassle of commercial travel, more efficiently, and theoretically in more comfort. He then told me that the biggest selling point on their end was the "sexy" aspect of "rolling up to the tarmac in a black car, boarding a private jet, snapchatting it, and having a glass of champagne in a Gulfstream." Word for word.

I'm in my 40's. I asked him to kindly take me off of the contact list. Man....this is such a great concept. Hopefully a more experienced, mature, and professional group of individuals launches a similar service in the future. It's possible that hasn't happened because in today's climate the economics don't work....
I too am in my 40's. I don't need the glamour or prestige of the "jet" , but the shuttles and the legs where I live - CA - have made the service a huge benefit for me. My experiences have been amazing and I purchased purely on economics. After flying 60-75 legs on SWA a year for the last four years to only flying 16 SWA flights this year and 37 flights with JS- there is no better way.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by gold23

Oh wow. That's disappointing to hear and a major turn-off. I keep looking for a reason...any reason to renew my membership, but the more I hear about these stories and see the evolution of the company, the more I believe that my membership has run its course.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by KurtR
I too am in my 40's. I don't need the glamour or prestige of the "jet" , but the shuttles and the legs where I live - CA - have made the service a huge benefit for me. My experiences have been amazing and I purchased purely on economics. After flying 60-75 legs on SWA a year for the last four years to only flying 16 SWA flights this year and 37 flights with JS- there is no better way.
This is exactly the reason I have lurked around for so long rather than simply discarding the option. It seems the experience is fantastic....until it's not.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 4:55 pm

Just to tamp down the hysteria a little bit, what is described here is NOT a "bait and switch." A bait and switch is the (often illegal) tactic of enticing someone in with a cheap option, and then only presenting a more expensive option. For example, if you arrived for the shuttle and they said, "Oh, I'm sorry sir, the free shuttle is in for maintenance, but we have this $50,000 Falcon ready for you." That would be a bait and switch.

What you describe is a poor customer experience caused by poor communication, among other things. One must also put themselves in the shoes of other passengers: if you are always willing to wait for "just a few more minutes" for the late person, it sucks for everyone.

No value judgement here, and I hate how they only communicate through the app. But it definitely was not a "bait and switch," and there may even be more to the story.

Originally Posted by Gbrecka

THIS COMPANY.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by dval44
Just to tamp down the hysteria a little bit, what is described here is NOT a "bait and switch." A bait and switch is the (often illegal) tactic of enticing someone in with a cheap option, and then only presenting a more expensive option. For example, if you arrived for the shuttle and they said, "Oh, I'm sorry sir, the free shuttle is in for maintenance, but we have this $50,000 Falcon ready for you." That would be a bait and switch.

What you describe is a poor customer experience caused by poor communication, among other things. One must also put themselves in the shoes of other passengers: if you are always willing to wait for "just a few more minutes" for the late person, it sucks for everyone.

No value judgement here, and I hate how they only communicate through the app. But it definitely was not a "bait and switch," and there may even be more to the story.
I'm not sure it's hysteria. Everyone has their own experience and those who feel ripped off, are likely to be passionate about submitting their opinion. Just as someone who thinks they've received great value or service may too, wish to passionately submit theirs.
The facts are JS is new and are going through growing pains. The way they are growing and modifying previously promised benefits of membership to members appears to have been a consistent theme of complaint. A bait and switch is as you say enticing someone with something and actually only delivering something different. The value aspect is likely a moot point. In JSs case, offering empty legs as the full jet and later revoking that is an example of an actual reduction of what was promised. Offering complimentary helicopters as part of the grandfathered rate and later changing the deal to say only valid for the first year then removed and you have to pay is another.
Offering helicopters as an entiticement to those in or traveling to Chicago and later eliminating them, is another. These are but three examples of offering one thing (bait), delivering something different (switch). There are likely, plenty more.

As I have pointed out before, the revised terms of membership now state JS can change whatever they want, whenever they want. In essence this supports their right to switch whatever and whenever they want to. It doesn't make it right. And that certainly wasn't the way the membership terms used to appear.

Hysteria? I say no. Just passionate opinions and by and large by those who are expressly qualified to provide them.

If you're a member on cloud 9 with these guys, good for you. I wish I was, but that was only ever a fantasy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.