Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: elitetraveler
JetSmarter is a membership program that allows members to fly on empty legs of private jets (JetDeals) and seats on scheduled private jet shuttles (JetShuttle).
Print Wikipost

JetSmarter - discussion and experiences

Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by KurtR
Refresh us - pricing , credits, ?????
Don't want to get into details, but it was for the pricing of the renewal.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by dordal
Has anybody checked on data usage for the Jetsmarter app?

I've been going through a lot more data than I used to, and so I checked the iOS statistics (Settings -> Cellular & then scroll down ). I reset them last Sunday, and during this last week JS has used 2.1GB (!!!). Nothing else has used more than a few hundred MB in the same period.

Now I do check the app probably 4-5 times a day while I'm not on wifi, but that's not that much.

Can somebody check their iOS stats and see what your data usage is? Trying to figure out if I'm an oddball, or there's some issue with the app (or if it's just that bad.)
JS is using roughly 6x the data that any other app is using on my phone (Google Inbox, Facebook, and my Reddit client are all roughly equal for #2).

I investigated and it looks like the JS client is downloading all of the images of the planes for all of the empty legs available every time you a) open the client, or b) refresh the available empty legs. Even if you have the images from a previous download, it re-downloads them on every single refresh. Even when the available empty legs don't change, it still re-downloads them. For the empty legs available right now, I estimate that opening the app or refreshing empty legs a single time costs you about 5 MB in data ... which is pretty absurd.

The images also aren't particularly well optimized either. Most of the images are around 250 KB, which is pretty excessive for the size of the client window ... although I suspect that they're using the same images for the iPad where it might make more difference.

I'm glad that I'm on unlimited data!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
Not sure how long the period my phone has monitored but it's showing 27.1GB for JetSmarter and only 8GB for Instagram which I use way more!
Are you guys all using iOS? I have the Android app and I checked my last 3 months and it was only ~200MB per month.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Sykes
JS is using roughly 6x the data that any other app is using on my phone (Google Inbox, Facebook, and my Reddit client are all roughly equal for #2).

I investigated and it looks like the JS client is downloading all of the images of the planes for all of the empty legs available every time you a) open the client, or b) refresh the available empty legs. Even if you have the images from a previous download, it re-downloads them on every single refresh. Even when the available empty legs don't change, it still re-downloads them. For the empty legs available right now, I estimate that opening the app or refreshing empty legs a single time costs you about 5 MB in data ... which is pretty absurd.

The images also aren't particularly well optimized either. Most of the images are around 250 KB, which is pretty excessive for the size of the client window ... although I suspect that they're using the same images for the iPad where it might make more difference.

I'm glad that I'm on unlimited data!
You're right, its about 5mb a time, and I assume is refreshing in the background very frequently ... I've now turned off background notifications, which is pretty useless anyways as they seem to ping around 5 hours after they are posted anyways!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
How ironic would it be if JetSmarter's own app was consuming so much data during members' flights that it was the reason that operators shut off their inflight internet access?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by Herb687
How ironic would it be if JetSmarter's own app was consuming so much data during members' flights that it was the reason that operators shut off their inflight internet access?
Playing around with it a bit, it seems if you turn off background app refresh ( Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh ) it cuts down on data usage a lot. No idea what it thinks its doing in the background, as notifications even still work.

@Herb687, have you had flights where they've blocked you from using wifi? I haven't yet, although its generally a SUPER slow connection.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: AMEX Centurion, Skywards, JetSmarter, Etihad Guest, BA Executive Club
how is this Jet Deal a member initiated flight? didn't know you could initiate other routes other than the ones listed on the app.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Boodb772; Sep 27, 2016 at 7:03 am Reason: missing word
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:35 am

I saw that JetDeal on Sunday when there was one seat left. Strange, I know for a fact it didn't say member initiated shuttle. I'm using the Android version of the app if it makes a difference. Maybe just a glitch?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:45 am

Everything's negotiable when you're a high revenue customer.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by Boodb772
how is this Jet Deal a member initiated flight? didn't know you could initiate other routes other than the ones listed on the app.
The charter department will turn any charter that they think will generate sufficient interest into a member-initiated shuttle.

It also appears that they plan to build into the app the capability to do this automatically on a large number of routes in the not-so-distant future.

Also, unrelated: the Press Release for the XOJet Partnership says "Access to XOJET's charter fleet will be available on the JetSmarter app starting October 1 2016." ... I assume that this just means more favorable guaranteed charter rates on XOJet's fleet, but I'm hoping it means that the expanded empty leg inventory will start appearing in a few days too.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by mwood20
I saw that JetDeal on Sunday when there was one seat left. Strange, I know for a fact it didn't say member initiated shuttle. I'm using the Android version of the app if it makes a difference. Maybe just a glitch?
It has shown as a member initiated shuttle at least since there was 3 open seats on the iOS app
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by oenophilist
Don't want to get into details, but it was for the pricing of the renewal.
Just spoke to a renewing member this morning and he said he was told the rate prior to renewal via an app message. Hope it works out for you.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by KurtR
Just spoke to a renewing member this morning and he said he was told the rate prior to renewal via an app message. Hope it works out for you.
There was a difference in what they told me and what I was charged. But it was resolved.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat., SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by oenophilist
My experience matches Acrbag. I've been on over 10 flights in Europe and had the same process. There has been one time when the flight was actually cancelled after confirmation due to a mechanical issue. It was only two hours before the flight, and the rep called me immediately. But that was a fluke I believe (the rep said it was the first time they had ever experienced it).
Hello,

I am also a JetSmarter member and have not encountered a cancellation with them, and hope not to. But seeing you may have experienced a cancellation, what was their service recovery? Did they get another charter to your destination, or rebook you in first/business class on an airline? I have a flight out of Fort Lauderdale tomorrow and there is currently a hurricane warning in the area.

Thanks,
Wes
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WesTraveller
I am also a JetSmarter member and have not encountered a cancellation with them, and hope not to. But seeing you may have experienced a cancellation, what was their service recovery? Did they get another charter to your destination, or rebook you in first/business class on an airline?
Service recovery? LOL.
In the event of a cancellation, you are on your own to get to your destination.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.