Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: elitetraveler
JetSmarter is a membership program that allows members to fly on empty legs of private jets (JetDeals) and seats on scheduled private jet shuttles (JetShuttle).
Print Wikipost

JetSmarter - discussion and experiences

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by gold23
If another party is unwilling to put a promise down in writing, assume that perk will go away during the life of the contract. That way, you make your decision based on the value of the service without those perks.
In fairness, the commercial pressure is real. They presumably want a long term business, and that means renewals. That means there has to be some substantially large number of people who think the service is worth the money.

With the changes so far, they've grandfather people in for their term; e.g. the people who had free helis still have free helis until they renew, at which point they can make the determination if the service is still worth it. But, of course, they're not putting that in writing, so they can legally change things at any time.

And changes are coming. I noticed this in the membership agreement last night, which I don't think was there before:
Shuttle tokens are renewable limits on the number of the outstanding complimentary Shuttle reservations members can make at one time (“Shuttle Tokens”). Shuttle Tokens are automatically replenished and credited to the Smart or Sophisticated Member’s account once the flight that he or she utilized the Shuttle Token for is performed. The number of Shuttle Tokens required for a reservation is displayed in the Application and may differ from flight to flight based on various factors such as, among other things, length of the flight, type of the aircraft, and demand and supply availability. Reservations on some flights, such as transcontinental Jet Shuttles, will require a requisite number of Shuttle Tokens and additional payment. Shuttle reservations are subject to availability and are offered on a first come first served basis.
Section 8; see for yourself: https://jetsmarter.com/legal/membership-agreement/
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
Ugh!

Reservations on some flights, such as transcontinental Jet Shuttles, will require a requisite number of Shuttle Tokens and additional payment.

Just when I thought that we would renew. LA/NY are the only shuttles that we use. If they start charging $500 on top of the membership and $350 for heli, we are out.

I'd much rather scout for $599 JetBlue Mint fares between LAX-JFK than feel like we're being swindled.

Steve

Originally Posted by dordal
In fairness, the commercial pressure is real. They presumably want a long term business, and that means renewals. That means there has to be some substantially large number of people who think the service is worth the money.

With the changes so far, they've grandfather people in for their term; e.g. the people who had free helis still have free helis until they renew, at which point they can make the determination if the service is still worth it. But, of course, they're not putting that in writing, so they can legally change things at any time.

And changes are coming. I noticed this in the membership agreement last night, which I don't think was there before:
Shuttle tokens are renewable limits on the number of the outstanding complimentary Shuttle reservations members can make at one time (“Shuttle Tokens”). Shuttle Tokens are automatically replenished and credited to the Smart or Sophisticated Member’s account once the flight that he or she utilized the Shuttle Token for is performed. The number of Shuttle Tokens required for a reservation is displayed in the Application and may differ from flight to flight based on various factors such as, among other things, length of the flight, type of the aircraft, and demand and supply availability. Reservations on some flights, such as transcontinental Jet Shuttles, will require a requisite number of Shuttle Tokens and additional payment. Shuttle reservations are subject to availability and are offered on a first come first served basis.
Section 8; see for yourself: https://jetsmarter.com/legal/membership-agreement/

Last edited by backdoc; Aug 31, 2016 at 3:48 am
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
I must admit, T-1 day and I am still on the fence.

Last edited by oenophilist; Aug 31, 2016 at 2:48 am
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Has JetSmarter eliminated the "Access" (formerly "Social") membership tier? I have a friend that is interested, but the membership tiers page on the website now redirects to https://membership.jetsmarter.com/, which only has pricing for the "Smart" membership tier.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Sykes
Has JetSmarter eliminated the "Access" (formerly "Social") membership tier? I have a friend that is interested, but the membership tiers page on the website now redirects to https://membership.jetsmarter.com/, which only has pricing for the "Smart" membership tier.
Wow. I literally looked at this last night and Access was still listed. It looks like they may have gotten rid of it though.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:00 pm

Well that was quick! The offerings for this company seem to change daily!
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by oenophilist
I must admit, T-1 day and I am still on the fence.
Really? Renewal due tomorrow and you're not sure?

Personally I wouldn't hesitate right now... It's next year that's the big question. Right now though I think the value prop is still good; lots of empty legs and free shuttles ( at least if you're LA or NY).
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dordal
Really? Renewal due tomorrow and you're not sure?

Personally I wouldn't hesitate right now... It's next year that's the big question. Right now though I think the value prop is still good; lots of empty legs and free shuttles ( at least if you're LA or NY).
Well I was possibly going to downgrade, but looks like that option is out. So I guess I'm on for another year...
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

WOW, if true that's crazy. Will check with my rep
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:13 am

Glad to hear it, if true. Though they never should have offered it in the first place. As I said at the time, seemed like a short-sighted cash grab that would inevitably devalue the product.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by millions
Glad to hear it, if true. Though they never should have offered it in the first place. As I said at the time, seemed like a short-sighted cash grab that would inevitably devalue the product.
On the flip-side, I saw it as the only somewhat viable part of their business model.

Shuttles have a very high fixed cost, no matter how many members are on it. JetSmarter are chartering the plane and paying a pretty penny for it.

Since Empty Legs are flights that are repositioning anyways, JetSmarter can negotiate, what I assume, are very cheap rates to operators with a guarantee of buying at least X amount of empty legs per year.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Acrbag
On the flip-side, I saw it as the only somewhat viable part of their business model.

Shuttles have a very high fixed cost, no matter how many members are on it. JetSmarter are chartering the plane and paying a pretty penny for it.

Since Empty Legs are flights that are repositioning anyways, JetSmarter can negotiate, what I assume, are very cheap rates to operators with a guarantee of buying at least X amount of empty legs per year.
Offering access to empty legs to members at a cost makes great sense. Offering them at such a low cost that fills up every plane with often unsavory characters rather than offering a private jet like experience for a smaller group of a higher paying customers (especially when you've already established that higher-paying group) devalues the product for the higher paying members.

If they thought they could get three times as many access members in perpetuity than smart members, more power to them. But that was not going to be sustainable under the current policies.

As I sit here right now, there's an empty leg from LA to Denver on a Falcon 2000. As a smart member, I'm alotted 2 seats, which is the same number an access member would receive. For smart members who signed up mostly for the purpose of the empty legs, where's the value there?

Last edited by millions; Aug 31, 2016 at 10:04 am
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by millions
For smart members who signed up mostly for the purpose of the empty legs, where's the value there?
I understand your point here, I guess the ideal solution in your case would be to downgrade your membership and save the $6k, if that's still possible!
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:41 am

Did anyone else see all this new wording they added in the "legal > membership agreement" section of the app regarding the membership fee?

"JetSmarter reserves the right to increase the membership fee from time to time, which increases will apply to existing members upon renewal of Membership for subsequent terms unless expressly agreed otherwise by JetSmarter".

How can they just change that, when they clearly said when a lot of us signed up that we were grandfathered in for the membership fee. Another excerpt mentioned being able to increase it to reflect inflation as well. Are they ever going to get it together? Things change on a weekly basis.
Attached Images   
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:45 am

The new tiers and rate changes and all these new changes really make it difficult to enjoy.

I signed up in march of this year when there were no "tiers"

The introduction of tiers kind of nullifies the point of "locking in" the rates you're paying now for every year to come.

That they constantly change the terms is pretty frustrating.

So they're removing the free heli transfers entirely now? Or am I misunderstanding this?

If so, in new york for example, is the convenience of no lines and no security and so on now outweighed by having to make your way to and from teterboro?

^Regarding the post above mine, I believe they have expressly agreed to the people that signed up when they were agreeing to grandfather us in....
I think all that means is they are no longer grandfathering in new customers from this point on, or at least they're building in a legal out for new customers.
If it is meant to apply to all customers, and they implement it on anyone that "bought in" before the date they updated this, then I smell a heavy class action.

Last edited by Apache137; Sep 2, 2016 at 9:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.