Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: elitetraveler
JetSmarter is a membership program that allows members to fly on empty legs of private jets (JetDeals) and seats on scheduled private jet shuttles (JetShuttle).
Print Wikipost

JetSmarter - discussion and experiences

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by millions
Some of you have been much luckier with your experiences than I have. I've:

* Had screaming Children running around and nearly knocking over my laptop and beverages
* Been seated on a sofa for a 5-hour flight, with no tray or table available
* Often had to ask my neighbor if I could run my power cord over him
* Received the same wilted sandwiches on stale bread for cross-country flights
* Been on a transcontinental shuttle with no flight attendant and no wine or beer
* Been on on a transcon shuttle and a CHI-LA shuttle with no internet
* Been on a jammmed KingAir from Vegas with my friend's knees knocking against mine
* Been on a jammed empty leg with no beverages

The "best" shuttle I've flown was due to the fact that there was a no-show who would've been seated across from me. But even on a generally good flight, I've had to spend 5 hours staring across at a stranger on a seat that reclines only slightly while trying to avoid playing footsie. And I'm lucky to have a sandwich and some chips with a Diet Coke.

The only pluses for me have been boarding and the helicopter into Manhattan (though on the occassion the weather prevented it, the van from White Plains was horrific).
Ouch indeed.

To be fair, I'm a European based access member, so only fly empty legs and not the shuttles.

Normally in Europe the empty legs are
1. Citations Mustangs - Flown once - small 4 seat jets - You get the whole plane which makes up for it
2. Citation XLS+ - flown twice - 8 seat planes, never been on with more than 4 people total.
3. Legacy 650 (GIV equivalent) - flown twice - once had 6 passengers, the other time was only the two of us.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: AMEX Centurion, Skywards, JetSmarter, Etihad Guest, BA Executive Club
has anyone tried the NY-BOS Shuttle ?

i know it officially launches on the 14th Sep but ive seen member initiated shuttle before.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by KurtR
I agree the experience is amazing for the price. I also recognize that JS is an ever evolving startup. I liken the changes to amazon changing prime rates and return policies often and uber changing their pricing structure and service offerings while all the while attempting to enhance the experience.
My issue is the immaturity of understanding how to do business. The lack of focus on retention means that they are leaving money on the table. They need some people in there that actually have experience doing business with executives.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat, UA Club, Marriott/SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by oenophilist
My issue is the immaturity of understanding how to do business. The lack of focus on retention means that they are leaving money on the table. They need some people in there that actually have experience doing business with executives.
Yeah, this. I spoke with a sale rep yesterday. I'm in the Bay Area but will be moving back east eventually and will be doing the Boston-Bay Area route a lot. A flat fee private service would be very interesting, and I wanted to talk about expansion plans and what they were opening now in Boston (NYC route). I fly Surf Air now, JetSmarter's Bay Area/LA trips won't totally replace this for me as the flight times and destinations are not as robust and I'm on a corporate account anyways, but after moving I would 100% be on board if they had reliable transcont shuttle service. Empty legs would just be a bonus.

Anyways, I'm trying to ask about service the rep kept pushing for a sale now because 'prices will go up 2x in 12 months, lock in.' I get $9k annually is a great deal for this service, but when buying a premium service (private jet travel... doesn't get much more premium than that) I don't need high pressure, buy on the phone a day after downloading the app, tactics.

To be fair the guy wasn't over the top pushy, but if you're going to sell me, sell me on service and let's talk about how this fits into my overall travel strategy and lifestyle rather than talking about how you're going to raise rates and get in NOW!

Also, sounds like transcont shuttles fill up. I'd want to be able to book returns and not sure the $45k option which allows this is good if there is a chance you're going to share a couch for a six hour flight. That's brutal. I can fly Mint every other week for that money.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
Yup.

Can't really disregard the couch vs Mint argument. Mint is a great product.

My renewal is also $9k and I joined in Jan '16. The high-pressure is tacky, but it must be effective because they are still doing it.

You can't beat the chopper to the jet, a nice group of people to fly with and no "public" to deal with at a large airport. When all of that it in place its worth it, but throw into the mix one entitled d-bag "club promoter" or a "pot king" on the plane and it its just awful.

Just like in life, your milage may vary.

Steve

Originally Posted by sfo2bos
Yeah, this. I spoke with a sale rep yesterday. I'm in the Bay Area but will be moving back east eventually and will be doing the Boston-Bay Area route a lot. A flat fee private service would be very interesting, and I wanted to talk about expansion plans and what they were opening now in Boston (NYC route). I fly Surf Air now, JetSmarter's Bay Area/LA trips won't totally replace this for me as the flight times and destinations are not as robust and I'm on a corporate account anyways, but after moving I would 100% be on board if they had reliable transcont shuttle service. Empty legs would just be a bonus.

Anyways, I'm trying to ask about service the rep kept pushing for a sale now because 'prices will go up 2x in 12 months, lock in.' I get $9k annually is a great deal for this service, but when buying a premium service (private jet travel... doesn't get much more premium than that) I don't need high pressure, buy on the phone a day after downloading the app, tactics.

To be fair the guy wasn't over the top pushy, but if you're going to sell me, sell me on service and let's talk about how this fits into my overall travel strategy and lifestyle rather than talking about how you're going to raise rates and get in NOW!

Also, sounds like transcont shuttles fill up. I'd want to be able to book returns and not sure the $45k option which allows this is good if there is a chance you're going to share a couch for a six hour flight. That's brutal. I can fly Mint every other week for that money.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Much as I'd love to stay with the "Smart" level, the shuttles are just simply worthless in Europe. Unlike the US, it is pretty easy to get anywhere in Europe either by train or by plane. Using the private jets are actually more hassle. I love the empty legs, but of course even then you can often buy them locally. The Paris-London, a route I take 10x a year, is particularly bad because the difficulty in reaching Luton airport more hassle by far than taking the train. I'd rather spend the money on the train, frankly.

I addressed the economics of this with the JS team, and they were clueless. No consideration for circumstances, it was either threat (you lose your locked in rate) or selling the benefits that are useless to me. Granted, I was talking with someone that was only a few years out of university.

Sergey, need to get with the program here...
Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:51 pm

They are dishonest and out to make money off the initiations and don't care about keeping the customer. They know after a certain point customer cannot get money back because they cover themselves in legal paper work so they string along. Reps are told to lie to the customers. They are not an honest business and you are not imagining things. I joined in April 2016 and their whole operation gives me a bad feeling.

Last edited by intothemusic; Aug 26, 2016 at 11:16 pm
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sfo2bos

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the $45k membership allows you to choose your own seat in advance.

Much as I'd love to stay with the "Smart" level, the shuttles are just simply worthless in Europe.... The Paris-London, a route I take 10x a year, is particularly bad because the difficulty in reaching Luton airport more hassle by far than taking the train. I'd rather spend the money on the train, frankly.
Exactly, the Eurostar is 2.5 hours straight from the center of London to the center of Paris. Luton is a big hassle to get to from central London.

I love the empty legs however, though it's more of a fun thing than a practical thing.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intothemusic
They are dishonest and out to make money off the initiations and don't care about keeping the customer. They know after a certain point customer cannot get money back because they cover themselves in legal paper work so they string along. Reps are told to lie to the customers. They are not an honest business and you are not imagining things. I joined in April 2016 and their whole operation gives me a bad feeling.
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Can you give any more insight into your experiences?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: A3*S, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, BWR Diamond
they just announced on Twitter for october/november London-Dubai
you think it'll be included or as the TATL you'll have to pay ?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:59 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk!

Can you give any more insight into your experiences?
The president of JS, Gennady Barsky has his own wordpress blog where he refers to himself as a Real Estate Mogul.He speak very little English. They do not have American business mentality. Customer Service is American Business model. My rep said to me something like "Most of these people are lucky to ever be on a private jet. They need to be grateful and stop complaining" That in a nutshell is their customer service motto.

My family is from Moscow and this business they run like they are in a communist country or homeland. (and there was a reason WE left there!) They get the money, then they know how to dodge laws so they can keep your money and if you don't like it, WELL what are you going to do about it? Sue them? They already made sure that they got away with it in their wording. If you use the service too much, and you bought in at a lower rate, they target you specifically to get rid of you and push you out or try to force bill you. They will stop at nothing. Their word doesn't mean anything. They will also create lies and rumors so they can kick you out with no refund. Go read the fine print, they purposely lead you on with false promises until you cannot legally charge back.

The Head of Operations is the wife of the CEO, Lolita Frangulyan and she is ruthless, inexperienced and arrogant. If you look at her linkedin page she has one glowing REVIEW stating she is 'the best at sales ever' and the review came from her husband Sergei who forgot to mention they are married. Its all smoke and mirrors. Sergei can't get another round of funding because his whole business is dishonest. The greed is sickening.

The FOB's and the aviation companies they use are top notch and they are making money but at what price? JS disrespects them and their very own customers. They are only kind to themselves. If you want JetSmarter to be nice to you just don't give them your money.

JetSmarter's idea is very appealing. But they are like the hot girl that's great in bed, but deep down you know she's a gold digging psycho and not long term.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 6:31 pm

Programs: QF LTG
The video Sergey posted about the intro of the NY to London and London to Dubai is so out of touch with his own product. He thinks he is connecting the world but does he realize that his example of LA-Milan doesn't fit with the flight coupons and given how quickly the free shuttles sell out you could only do that trip with days in between flights...

Last edited by PbodyPhoto; Aug 27, 2016 at 7:23 pm
Old Aug 28, 2016, 2:39 pm

someone noticed that the London-New York now cost 6'000 $ ??!
what do u think about it ?
Old Aug 28, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by larchens
someone noticed that the London-New York now cost 6'000 $ ??!
what do u think about it ?
It wasn't worth $2k, much less $6k.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 3:02 pm

do u think in the future they will charge for every single shuttle ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.