Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: elitetraveler
JetSmarter is a membership program that allows members to fly on empty legs of private jets (JetDeals) and seats on scheduled private jet shuttles (JetShuttle).
Print Wikipost

JetSmarter - discussion and experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
so $9K for free empty legs

what is pricing for shuttle?

do any of the other (pilot/etc) forums discuss safety/maintenance/operations of jetsmarter and similar businesses?
Shuttle is included in the $9k.

Jetsmarter uses private jet operators, they are not an operator themselves. And there are a massive number of private jet operators, I was shocked when I started researching it.

In Europe, the initial empty-leg operator was certified Wyvern Wingman. I'm not sure about Air Hamburg, which they just added.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so its just the difference between having plane to yourself and seats? how many seats?

kind of odd only $9K includes shuttle when others are charging ~$2K a month or more

Originally Posted by backdoc
HPN-VNY Gulfstream IV (12 seats) with Heli transport to Manhattan from White Plains (HPN)

VNY-HPN Bombardier Challenger 300 (8 seats, beautiful aircraft) diverted to Teterboro due to freezing rain at HPN. Ground transfer provided to 30th Street Heliport in Manhattan.

I'll be taking my 3rd cross country flight on March 6th from White Plains (HPN) to Van Nuys (VNY) on a Gulfstream IV with Heli transport from Manhattan to White Plains...For my Dad's 90th birthday I'm picking him up in Sacramento and flying JetBlue to JFK.. after a few days we'll go to the heliport and fly to White Plains and take a Gulfstream IV to Oakland, CA.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 1, 2016 at 1:45 pm
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
$9K (annually) for unlimited shuttles does seem like an interesting deal.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
so its just the difference between having plane to yourself and seats? how many seats?

kind of odd only $9K includes shuttle when others are charging ~$2K a month or more
You don't necessarily have the plane to yourself with the empty legs unless you buy out the remaining seats. However, with the empty legs, you can take others with you at no extra charge. The number you can take with you depends on the plane. For the large jets (10+ passengers), you only get one additional person. With the smaller jets, you usually get 3 or 4 additional seats. As far as I can tell, the large jets are the only ones that have flight attendants. On the smaller jets, it is usually the pilot or first officer that serves the guests, or you can self-serve.

For the shuttles, you only get one seat allocated (for the subscriber) and must pay for any additional seats.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:44 pm

I flew on XOJet
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:43 pm

Jetsmarter Review from a satisfied member

I have been a JetSmarter member for about 9 months now and I am thoroughly satisfied and impressed with its improvement and evolution over these last few months.

Since I joined, they've continued to add more and more empty legs (although, I admit, I've only caught a few empty legs) and more and more shuttle routes. Most recently they've added coast to coast shuttles on the GIV which is a lot of fun, as well as shuttles between some European cities (looking forward to using those this summer).

One nice perk of joining is that your membership rate is locked in - it will never raise for you - while people who join after you may have to pay more since they are continuously improving the service. It seems like they will be adding even more shuttles, not only in the US but abroad as well.

Another perk for the NYC crowd is the chopper service to the airport - not only does it save time, I also save about $200 in car service each RT since I dont have to hire a car to take me all the way to JFK or EWR, so factor in those savings if you frequent NYC at all. I just get dropped off at the heliport on west 30th and within 15 min Im on board the jet in westchester taking off.

This is not a replacement for commercial travel yet - i still occasionally fly commercial since the shuttle schedule does not always fit with where and when I need to be, but I'd say I use Jetsmarter for about75% of my flights now (I frequent NYC MIAMI SF LA for work).
Thread edited by moderator due to OP referencing a referral code for financial gain. Violation of TOS

Last edited by obscure2k; Mar 3, 2016 at 2:41 pm
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I have several questions....

What is your typical demographic on a flight? Are people bringing their families, is it a party in the sky, or is it businesspeople getting from point A to point B? I'm intrigued by this concept, but I'm the guy who settles into my seat, gives a quick nod to my seat mate, and goes about my own business until touchdown (or brings along my family of 4). Is this an environment I would be comfortable in?

I see the charters are typically full or close to full. I've been on a GIV....I would not want to be on a packed one- where every seat is taken- for 6 hours if I don't know the people across or next to me. Anyone with experience here?

If I charter and only need X amount of seats, would JetSmarter open the plane up to the membership? If so, does my cost go down at all if it fills up?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 5:32 pm

To answer your questions:

What is your typical demographic on a flight?

Everyone is super cordial. You'll find a mix of people - everyone very interesting. Mostly self employed people of varying industries. A heavy entrepreneur bend. Some people like to chat - and others keep to themselves. As you ride the shuttle more and more you may get to know other members which I think is a nice bonus - so you start to fly with folks you know.

I see the charters are typically full or close to full. I've been on a GIV....I would not want to be on a packed one- where every seat is taken- for 6 hours if I don't know the people across or next to me. Anyone with experience here?

Yes, most shuttles end up close to full - the GIV and the Challenger 850 are pretty big planes and comfortable even if full. The flight attendants are helpful as well.

If I charter and only need X amount of seats, would JetSmarter open the plane up to the membership? If so, does my cost go down at all if it fills up?

You can charter a whole plane (usually around 5K per flight hour depending on what plane) and keep it all to yourself. OR - you can share a charter (usually about the cost of a first class ticket with a certain number of ticket minimum to get the plane with the rest of the seats open to other members). Its a good system that creates more open seats for the paying members, allows for more flexibility of schedule for those willing to pay a little more ala carte, and is a lot cheaper than a regular shuttle.

Last edited by obscure2k; Mar 3, 2016 at 9:21 pm Reason: OP promoting his referral
Old Mar 3, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage / JetSmarter / AMEX Business Gold, Plat, SPG
The LA-NYC shuttle works great for me and allows me to go back and forth every other week. Flexibility is a must because the availability of seats is unpredictable. But, with the addition of Vegas/NYC shuttle I can see popping to Vegas by Southwest and then catching the shuttle to HPN.

Steve
How crowded is that GIV with 13 people on it? .. I actually just signed up last week, haven't used it yet. Few things that slightly turn me off on it->

- The assigning of the seats and chance you can sit middle seat on the bench for the NY>FL shuttles (Challenger 850 plane) ...
- The GIV fully packed , is the leg room sufficient?
- People saying the WIFI is useless or just doesn't work.. that's a real bummer for a business guy like me, I am lost without wifi.. It sucks that these planes are amazing private planes but have ...... wifi.. come on jetsmarter.

I will write a review when I actually use the service, the dead legs are great and I live in NYC so I really can take advantage of traveling whenever I want.. Being self employed helps too...

I have a question for those that have flown with jetsmarter, How comfortable is the experience once you're actually on the plane? It's def cheaper then a $2k ticket JFK->LAX in first class, but obv not as comfortable (lie flat, etc).. I just curious if it's like a coach seating situation.. footsie, no room, cramped.. etc

Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2016, 11:15 pm

I'm also located in NYC so any other locals maybe we can meet up and snag a shuttle some time
Old Mar 4, 2016, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
The G-IV is not super comfortable, but it depends upon your seat #.

The bench seat is for ONE person, the side by side double seats are for ONE person as well.

They don't let you choose which seat you get, they are allocated for weight and balance and passenger disabilities. So the worst seats, to me anyway, are the seats that face each because limited leg space. There is no standard seating plan as these are custom aircraft, but, they use this particular plane often.

Everyone seems to need their carry-on within reach so it can be a bit "messy".

If you don't like pizza and or sandwiches, bring your own food.

The wine/booze flows freely.

The seats are comfortable and can rotate and recline but are not lay flat. There was no wifi on the G-IV but on the Challenger 300 that I took from VNY-HPN there was. That plane was beautiful and very comfortable.

Here is a photo from seat number four on the G-IV.

The free helicopter transport from the W 30th Street Heliport to HPN is great. They sent out a clarification about the allowed sizes for luggage. There have been members trying to bring giant suitcases and dogs which are specifically not allowed. A recent clarification on my next itinerary reads:

Standard Luggage Requirements: Each passenger is allowed one
piece of luggage not exceeding 50 pounds, which will be stored in
the luggage compartment. In addition, each passenger is allowed to
bring one small personal item (9" x 10" x 17") such as a briefcase or
purse.
Helicopter Luggage Requirements: Each passenger utilizing the
helicopter transfer is allowed one small carry on size bag (9"x l4"x 22"),
which will be stored in the luggage compartment. In addition, each
passenger is allowed to bring one small personal item (9"x l0''x 17")
such as a briefcase or purse.

What if you want to take the helicopter, but your luggage does
not meet the Helicopter Luggage requirements? Simply arrange to
have your luggage driven or shipped to the FBO address listed above
and advise JetSmarter Concierge that you will be doing so. A
representative will be present at the FBO to retrieve your
luggage and have it loaded on to the plane safely. Please be sure to
tag your luggage (Include full name, address and phone number)
prior to sending. Please note: Your luggage MUST still meet the
Standard Luggage requirements outlined above.

It does beat $2K for first class from coast to coast, mainly due to the lack of the large airport ritual: Getting to the airport, checking a bag, TSA, lounge, boarding and waiting for the other 250 people who it seems have never been on a plane before, waiting in queue on the taxiway in line to take off.

My experience in Van Nuys was arriving at the FBO: Getting a cup of coffee, walking to the plane and within 5 minutes of stepping on the plane we were on rollout. Landing back at Van Nuys and having my car service literally on the tarmac waiting also saves a huge amount of time and stress. I was home unpacking my suitcase in Silverlake before I could have made it to the freeway after taking the shuttle and picking my car at ParkNFly at LAX.

Steve

Originally Posted by slay0r
How crowded is that GIV with 13 people on it? .. I actually just signed up last week, haven't used it yet. Few things that slightly turn me off on it->

- The assigning of the seats and chance you can sit middle seat on the bench for the NY>FL shuttles (Challenger 850 plane) ...
- The GIV fully packed , is the leg room sufficient?
- People saying the WIFI is useless or just doesn't work.. that's a real bummer for a business guy like me, I am lost without wifi.. It sucks that these planes are amazing private planes but have ...... wifi.. come on jetsmarter.

I will write a review when I actually use the service, the dead legs are great and I live in NYC so I really can take advantage of traveling whenever I want.. Being self employed helps too...

I have a question for those that have flown with jetsmarter, How comfortable is the experience once you're actually on the plane? It's def cheaper then a $2k ticket JFK->LAX in first class, but obv not as comfortable (lie flat, etc).. I just curious if it's like a coach seating situation.. footsie, no room, cramped.. etc

Thanks!
Old Mar 4, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
I appreciate the patience and the explanations... I live in the NY area and probably fly 60-100k miles each year. Bulk of that domestic. Primarily up and down east coast, occasional midwest. Family vacations once a year skiing out west and then summer where we pick a base in Europe for 3 weeks and take short flights around the continent. Trying to figure out if this would work for me/us....

Completely sick of the airport dance, specifically EWR. I look at this like a country club membership....not trying to justify the cost on a per use basis, but on a quality of my time and life basis. That being said, I am intrigued by the value.

So my usage would basically be- very occasional use of shuttles with an eye on the deals. However, I'd often charter short to medium flights for family use- both here and Europe. Am I better off purchasing a jet card, or would the ability to open up these charters to other members significantly mitigate my costs and make this worthwhile?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:19 am

Ah I see, thanks for the clarification .. I am eager to try the GIV to LAX from NYC so I could expect to see this seating layout? I Wasn't aware they used the bench for the GIV.. Good to know it's only one person on there though.

Why is there no wifi? That is so silly to me.. JS Needs to get on that ASAP!!!

I want to try the challenger 850 NYC > South Florida , but i heard they seat 3 on the bench for that shuttle.

Would love to hear more about your experiences on the shuttles. Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
They can't just install Wifi...

These aren't JetSmarter's planes.

I would prefer a different plane that had Wifi.

A friend of mine just landed last night from the South Florida shuttle, took a Lear there and a Challenger 850 back. I asked if he would comment on this thread.

Steve

Originally Posted by slay0r
Ah I see, thanks for the clarification .. I am eager to try the GIV to LAX from NYC so I could expect to see this seating layout? I Wasn't aware they used the bench for the GIV.. Good to know it's only one person on there though.

Why is there no wifi? That is so silly to me.. JS Needs to get on that ASAP!!!

I want to try the challenger 850 NYC > South Florida , but i heard they seat 3 on the bench for that shuttle.

Would love to hear more about your experiences on the shuttles. Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2016, 10:56 am

These aren't JetSmarter's planes.

I would prefer a different plane that had Wifi.

A friend of mine just landed last night from the South Florida shuttle, took a Lear there and a Challenger 850 back. I asked if he would comment on this thread.

Steve
I know the planes aren't owned by them, but still. they could maybe try and use planes with WiFi.. It's 2016

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.