Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: elitetraveler
JetSmarter is a membership program that allows members to fly on empty legs of private jets (JetDeals) and seats on scheduled private jet shuttles (JetShuttle).
Print Wikipost

JetSmarter - discussion and experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Sykes
The membership page is now password protected, but last I heard it's $14,000/year plus $1,000 for initiation. You can probably get some flight credit with your first year if you ask.
Can simple members see the membership page? I can't seem to find it...
Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Some of those empty’s are epic. Fort laudy to the DR or Columbia on g4 and g5s
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by Westin
Some of those empty’s are epic. Fort laudy to the DR or Columbia on g4 and g5s
Windsor Jet / Professional Flight Transport has been putting a few interesting ones up the last few days. Sadly they have only been posting with 12-18 hours notice. They had Aruba to SXM on Friday afternoon but they only posted it Friday morning.

Hopefully they start loading more of their inventory!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:14 am

When I was a member, as providers were added, there were a lot of premium empty legs that appeared in the app. Unfortunately it only lasted a few weeks. My guess at the time was all their empty inventory was being uploaded, whereas only certain flights were supposed to get released to JetSmarter. If there is a new empty provider enrolled you may be seeing something similar.

There was a company called JetEdge added in late 2016. Empties heading down to Cabo, the Caribbean , a few Hawaii, transcons, etc. were popping into the app. Not for long, same day as departure for most of them, but they were bookable. Similar thing happened when XOJet first came online (although not to the extreme of a Gulfstream from LA Metro Area to the Caribbean).
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:30 am

Silly question but is there an attendant on jetdeals?

Food and beverages? Alcohol?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by mrfussion
When I was a member, as providers were added, there were a lot of premium empty legs that appeared in the app. Unfortunately it only lasted a few weeks. My guess at the time was all their empty inventory was being uploaded, whereas only certain flights were supposed to get released to JetSmarter. If there is a new empty provider enrolled you may be seeing something similar.

There was a company called JetEdge added in late 2016. Empties heading down to Cabo, the Caribbean , a few Hawaii, transcons, etc. were popping into the app. Not for long, same day as departure for most of them, but they were bookable. Similar thing happened when XOJet first came online (although not to the extreme of a Gulfstream from LA Metro Area to the Caribbean).
I assume jetsmarter has a set pay scale for empty legs and on long haul routes it likely doesn't cover the difference in fuel burn of flying empty vs with every seat filled.

Originally Posted by tylerc

Certainly no flight attendant on the Hawker 400, Challenger 300, or Citation X. Might be on the G4.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
Certainly no flight attendant on the Hawker 400, Challenger 300, or Citation X. Might be on the G4.
I had flight attendants on all of my empty legs on large cabin aircraft (Falcon 2000, Falcon 900, Challenger 604 and G-IV)
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by OptionsCLE
I had flight attendants on all of my empty legs on large cabin aircraft (Falcon 2000, Falcon 900, Challenger 604 and G-IV)
Shame apart from a couple of rare G4 flights none of those other heavy jet operators make their empties available to jetsmarter any more
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by tylerc

XOJet, which represents the majority of empty legs, doesn't use flight attendants. I've never seen them on anything smaller than a heavy jet for other operators either.

Other operators often provide flight attendants for heavy jet empty legs (G IV, Falcon 2000, etc.). It's not guaranteed, but often they need to reposition the flight attendant with the plane. (I don't think I've had a heavy jet empty leg without a flight attendant.)

Food and drink technically aren't included for empty legs (Jet Deals) per the T&Cs -- they actually have the right to charge you $50 for each mini consumed, and a $100 flat fee if you take any of the snacks or sodas:
For the Jet Deal flights only, a $50.00 fee shall be assessed for each mini-bottle of alcohol consumed (beer, wine or liquor). A flat fee of $100.00 will be assessed for all refreshments and snacks consumed (other than water), regardless of the amount consumed.
I've never heard of any of the US operators actually trying to bill the fees, but some crews do lock away the liquor. (I think I've had 2 flights in about 25 Jet Deals where the liquor was locked away.) I've heard (in this thread) of a few non-US operators threatening to charge for food and drink though.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:31 am

As I expected, shuttle availability from the Bay Area has absolutely dried up since the influx of free trial members. It's impossible to book to Los Angeles or Vegas without planning sometimes more than a week in advance. And JS hasn't added any more volume. It's very frustrating as a paying smart member; there's really very little value to this service for me any longer.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Gold Club, Chase, JetSmarter, NCL
Originally Posted by millions
As I expected, shuttle availability from the Bay Area has absolutely dried up since the influx of free trial members. It's impossible to book to Los Angeles or Vegas without planning sometimes more than a week in advance. And JS hasn't added any more volume. It's very frustrating as a paying smart member; there's really very little value to this service for me any longer.
I have also seen limited availability from London (shuttles to Nice, Paris, Malaga) but the trial will be over soon. It started in early June if I remember correctly, so about one more month of free riders.

I don't see reason for JS to add volume for 3 months of trial riders who I bet less than half of those that applied are actually using. No way for them to calculate how many of the trial members are active flyers.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:12 am

So the terms for a jetdeal cancelation due to schedule change offer a commercial F ticket or a new charter flight. Has anyone had any luck actually getting a new flight chartered or is it in reality only F tickets that get offered?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by travelnat95
I have also seen limited availability from London (shuttles to Nice, Paris, Malaga) but the trial will be over soon. It started in early June if I remember correctly, so about one more month of free riders.

I don't see reason for JS to add volume for 3 months of trial riders who I bet less than half of those that applied are actually using. No way for them to calculate how many of the trial members are active flyers.
Over "soon" is relative, I suppose. It's about 1.5 months left, so about halfway through, and 12.5% of the membership period I paid for is not soon enough for me.

As to whether there's any reason to add volume...while I'd agree that there's an argument not to add volume in advance, after seeing that the routes their members paid for are drying up, I think it might be a good idea for retention purposes.

There certainly was a way to run a similar promotion that wouldn't anger their paying members as much (I have spoken to others; I'm far from the only one), and likely lead to many downgrades or non-renewals. Three months is much more than someone needs to "test" the service - a couple of shuttle legs and maybe an empty during the period would do the trick. Instead, what we have is a number of freeriders using the shuttle service regularly for three months and clogging up the planes.

Last edited by millions; Jul 24, 2017 at 12:23 pm
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Centurion, Inspirato, jetmembership.com, Mandarin Oriental, Hertz Gold Plus
Originally Posted by millions
Over "soon" is relative, I suppose. It's about 1.5 months left, so about halfway through, and 12.5% of the membership period I paid for is not soon enough for me.

As to whether there's any reason to add volume...while I'd agree that there's an argument not to add volume in advance, after seeing that the routes their members paid for are drying up, I think it might be a good idea for retention purposes.

There certainly was a way to run a similar promotion that wouldn't anger their paying members as much (I have spoken to others; I'm far from the only one), and likely lead to many downgrades or non-renewals. Three months is much more than someone needs to "test" the service - a couple of shuttle legs and maybe an empty during the period would do the trick. Instead, what we have is a number of freeriders using the shuttle service regularly for three months and clogging up the planes.
Just wait until the next "trial period" next spring.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
So the terms for a jetdeal cancelation due to schedule change offer a commercial F ticket or a new charter flight. Has anyone had any luck actually getting a new flight chartered or is it in reality only F tickets that get offered?
I've had both. F commercial if they can't source another jet, but also have had an equivalent jet sourced and provided within same timeframe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.