Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Any Atlanta "must see" or "must eat" and nearby hotel??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2007, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, NW, DL, Marriott

Hi everyone. I will be spending 4 nights in Atlanta for a business trip (Sun-Thu) and would appreciate any recommendations. I have no idea where I should stay but I am leaning towards downtown/midtown or Buckhead? Last time I was in Atlanta was over 15 years ago. I remember going to the Underground shopping something-or-other, the Coca-Cola tour and walking around CNN, but my memory of everything is vague.

This time, I will be there for an audit (read: me in tiny room by myself for 8 hours a day and no after hours commitments – because everyone hates “The Auditor”) The office is next to I-75 and I-285 intersection. I know there are many hotels nearby but I am thinking I would be stuck in a generic industrial park? I like driving but I’d like to avoid sitting in traffic for an hour each way, if I can.

About me: Price is not a concern (i.e. expense account) but I love playing the Marriott point game so I do have a preference. Things I like to do? I am not a fan of museums but am a fan of historical and unusual places (e.g. MLK speech spot/memorial interests me, famous birthplaces of politicians/writers/musicians, famous movie and/or R&R music locations, notorious crime scenes - weird I know, etc.)

Food? I don’t care about fine dining, in the least. If there’s a “must have” southern food item or popular snack in a not-so-fancy diner or road-side shack, I would love it.

Thank you everyone for any insight.
Old May 11, 2007, 8:44 pm

Programs: US Silver, CO, DL
For some "must have" old timey authentic Southern food, you have to go to The Colonnade Restaurant on Chain Bridge Rd.
Old May 29, 2007, 12:42 pm

OP: Have you gone there yet? What did you do? I'm going to Atlanta this weekend-last minute $300 off trip (thanks, FT! ) and I also was wondering what to do.
Did you go to the Aquarium? Was it worth the hefty admission fee?
Old May 29, 2007, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by artemis021
OP: Have you gone there yet? What did you do? I'm going to Atlanta this weekend-last minute $300 off trip (thanks, FT! ) and I also was wondering what to do.
Did you go to the Aquarium? Was it worth the hefty admission fee?
I'm going this weekend on that deal also. I'll be visiting a friend who moved there last year who says the Aquarium is a "Must See", though I'm not sure what his experience is with aquariums elsewhere.
Old May 29, 2007, 1:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I'm not sure if it's still on, but the Atlanta Civic Center is/was having an exhibition of Titanic stuff - by that, I mean things that have been brought up from the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. If you're at all into that bit of history, I highly recommend paying the $20 admission fee.

The obligatory gift shop was full of memorabilia, too.
Old May 29, 2007, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL, NW Silver Elite, Hilton
The aquarium IS a must see, and I've seen a few. And a visit to the Varsity (world famous hot dawg joint) would be in order, as well.
Old May 29, 2007, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL, NW Silver Elite, Hilton
Originally Posted by discoverCSG
I'm not sure if it's still on, but the Atlanta Civic Center is/was having an exhibition of Titanic stuff - by that, I mean things that have been brought up from the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. If you're at all into that bit of history, I highly recommend paying the $20 admission fee.
Now that's something I would like to see!
Old May 29, 2007, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by discoverCSG

The obligatory gift shop was full of memorabilia, too.
Unfortunately, that exhibit ended a couple of weeks ago. But thanks anyway.

Given the high praise, it looks like I'll be taking a trip to the Aquarium, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.