Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Universal or Disney?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2016, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Universal or Disney?

Hello! I'll be spending a couple of days at the end of december in Orlando and i wanted to visit the Universal park, until i realized tickets start at $110 per person... Considering i'm traveling with a party of four, would Disney be a better option? What offers or discounts could i take advantage of to guarantee the best price?

Also, how long in advance should i book my hotel? I visited on Christmas 2013 and planned everything like one week before flying, stayed at the Double Tree at Int. Drive and got a good deal, but we want to spend the minimum possible this time. Anything in the 70-100$ a night range would work. Nothing too fancy either.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I would not go to either park Christmas week if you paid me.

Horrible crowds, cannot get meal reservations, top prices for everything, kids cannot see anything except adults' legs, jammed bathrooms. It's a nightmare.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
"Also, how long in advance should i book my hotel?"

Probably several months ago. Christmas week is the absolute busiest time of the year. Often the parks reach capacity by mid-day or even noon and then close their gates to new guests.

"Anything in the 70-100$ a night range would work."
That may be unrealistic, but give it a try anyway.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: AAMastercard, ChaseSouthwest
Universal is terribly crowded especially Islands of Adventure. It seems "Islands" cannot handle the crowds and they do not have enough sit down experiences (shows, etc). I actually preferred Universal with Transformers, Terminator 2, Horror Make-up show, eating, Simpsons Ride (old Back to the Future), Shrek 4D, etc. Despicable Me is going to be a long wait not matter what as it is a low capacity ride,

I personally have a Disney annual pass, but not this year. I am skipping Xmas this year (as a teacher, I am off the evening of the 23rd which is too close to the holiday to get out of town). I will miss it. Maybe next year.
Disney is really crowded at Xmas, but there is enough to do that has little wait such as movies and shows that can easily break up the longer lines. Use your fast-passes also. It is more manageable than Islands.

Hotels around Xmas are expensive at Disney. The cheap hotel was $1300 for 7 nights. I opened up two credit cards to help pay for it Disney Chase (which was $151 credit off of $500, it saw $200 but it is really $151 after paying $49 for the card for a yer) and AMEX ($150-250 off a $1200 purchase or something).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.