Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Uber in Orlando

Uber in Orlando

Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL exDM MM
Uber in Orlando

I know Uber has been operating in Orlando for several months but is still not "allowed" to pickup at MCO. Same problem at LAX. The solution there is to take a hotel or parking shuttle to a location outside the restricted zone.

Does anyone have any experience with this strategy from MCO? There are plenty of locations just north of the airport. Which is best?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:35 pm
cxr

good question.. subscribed for an answer for my visit in June
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Problem is that it defeats the value of having a car pull up to you at baggage claim, where you get in and ride to your destination.

Make a point of sending a nasty note to MCO and to your carrier (which will respond properly that it doesn't control ground arrangements, but does note customer dissatisfaction).

Sooner or later, these places will grow up.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:28 pm
cxr

I have read that people at LAX use in n out address then send text to driver to pick them up in the terminal
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Problem is that it defeats the value of having a car pull up to you at baggage claim, where you get in and ride to your destination.
If you have ever taken a cab to downtown, Disney, or Universal the cost savings of using Uber makes the transfer worthwhile.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Make a point of sending a nasty note to MCO and to your carrier (which will respond properly that it doesn't control ground arrangements, but does note customer dissatisfaction).
Complaining to an airline about ground transportation options is one of the dumber suggestions I've heard in a while. Airline personnel have enough to deal with. Expecting them to take the time to answer a complaint about something completely out of their control makes no sense. It just wastes everyone's time.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxr
I have read that people at LAX use in n out address then send text to driver to pick them up in the terminal
I learned that by posting a similar thread in the LAX destination forum. That works because there is a Parking Spot location next to the In-and-Out. I plan to use that strategy next month while there.

So where do the UberX drivers "hang out" near MCO? There are lots of restaurants just north of the airport...
Old May 21, 2015, 3:28 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
This seems bump worthy.

I spent last night at the Hyatt inside the airport, and not even there would Uber pick me up.
Old May 25, 2015, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkt
This seems bump worthy.
???

Originally Posted by mkt
I spent last night at the Hyatt inside the airport, and not even there would Uber pick me up.
Since Uber is not allowed to pickup AT the airport it follows that they can't pickup INSIDE the airport...
Old May 26, 2015, 9:31 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by captiveguru
Since Uber is not allowed to pickup AT the airport it follows that they can't pickup INSIDE the airport...
Not necessarily. I do know that the Sheraton in the BDL (Hartford, CT) airport does allow taxi pickups without having any airport licensing, approvals or extra "airport" fees. And I would guess Uber drivers could pick-up or drop-off there.

The Sheraton does have both an inside and outside entrance. And that outside entrance may be the differentiator.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:13 pm
glg

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Not necessarily. I do know that the Sheraton in the BDL (Hartford, CT) airport does allow taxi pickups without having any airport licensing, approvals or extra "airport" fees. And I would guess Uber drivers could pick-up or drop-off there.

The Sheraton does have both an inside and outside entrance. And that outside entrance may be the differentiator.
The rules about Uber at airports are very local (usually city law/ordinance), so what may be true in Hartford wouldn't necessarily apply in Orlando.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:12 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by glg
The rules about Uber at airports are very local (usually city law/ordinance), so what may be true in Hartford wouldn't necessarily apply in Orlando.
I don't disagree with you at all, in fact that was my point. I was only commenting that the original question (asking if someone were staying at the airport hotel might be able to get an Uber pickup) was at least valid to ask.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I don't disagree with you at all, in fact that was my point. I was only commenting that the original question (asking if someone were staying at the airport hotel might be able to get an Uber pickup) was at least valid to ask.
I agree with Gig. Uber service is controlled by local ordinance. In Orlando Uber is not currently allowed to pick up on airport property. The Hyatt is in the terminal. Yes, there is a "motor lobby" but it is well within the restricted zone.

Back to my original question: Since I live in near Orlando I usually drive to the airport. Still want to know the best place to get Uber on the north side of the 528...
Old May 29, 2015, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Not only is the Hyatt in the terminal - the airport owns the hotel.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: AAMastercard, ChaseSouthwest
Get someone getting out of an Uber and take it! Go to departures instead of arrivals. I don't know if that would work. Get a cheap Disney hotel for the night and take Magic Express to it and then Uber to your other hotel the next day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.