Wiki Posts
Search

Uber in Orlando

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by flyingill
Get someone getting out of an Uber and take it! Go to departures instead of arrivals. I don't know if that would work. Get a cheap Disney hotel for the night and take Magic Express to it and then Uber to your other hotel the next day.
I've been told by Orlando and Miami Uber drivers police look for drivers doing just that. I know coworkers in Orlando that will take a hotel shuttle from MCO and then Uber from there. Too much of a hassle for me.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I've got a 5AM flight Saturdayfrom MCO. Any experience using Uber in the wee hours of the morning in Orlando, particularly to the airport.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I've got a 5AM flight Saturdayfrom MCO. Any experience using Uber in the wee hours of the morning in Orlando, particularly to the airport.
I would think you would have success. Plenty of people use UBER to get to Magic Kingdom for pre-open breakfast ADR's. So don't see why you couldn't flag one down to go to MCO.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I know coworkers in Orlando that will take a hotel shuttle from MCO and then Uber from there. Too much of a hassle for me.
This appears to be the best strategy. Which hotel shuttle is best though?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Uber is making headway, Uber Black can now pickup and drop off a the airport.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...118-story.html
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did Uber Black from MCO. Expensive! And, not only that, but I got overcharged by $10 (the itemized list adds up to $10 less than the total, which is what they charged). I have an email in to Uber about that.

On the way back, the Uber X was less than half the correct Uber Black price.

Seems like such a waste that Uber Blacks have to pick up, but probably aren't getting any fares there, and Uber Xs are dropping off, but can't get a fare out of there. Great system.

From what I gathered from a few sources, that shuttle company Mears is fighting intensely to protect their territory.

Didn't try Lyft, which I should have.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 4:50 pm
Suspended

When I went, I took a free shuttle to local hotel then did Uber.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TMM1982
When I went, I took a free shuttle to local hotel then did Uber.
Yeah - in LA, that got hard (before the airport consented to Uber). So I forgot about that backdoor.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 1:45 am

Programs: BA, Hilton, Lufthansa, Skywards, Sofitel, IHG
Originally Posted by josephstern
Did Uber Black from MCO. Expensive! And, not only that, but I got overcharged by $10 (the itemized list adds up to $10 less than the total, which is what they charged). I have an email in to Uber about that.

On the way back, the Uber X was less than half the correct Uber Black price.

Seems like such a waste that Uber Blacks have to pick up, but probably aren't getting any fares there, and Uber Xs are dropping off, but can't get a fare out of there. Great system.

From what I gathered from a few sources, that shuttle company Mears is fighting intensely to protect their territory.

Didn't try Lyft, which I should have.
Mears has always been very defensive. And less than excellent. They could do with the competition.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 6:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ElleBeeTee
Mears has always been very defensive. And less than excellent. They could do with the competition.
They could do with being out of business.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:26 am

I've had luck with using the short term parking garage as the hand-off spot. It takes a little bit of coordination and knowing the layout well, but it's worked for me several times.

I also find that acting helps a bit as well -- act like they're a friend you haven't seen in awhile. "Hey, how are you? Good to see you again!"

We should all take note that the taxi/bus mob in Orlando is why there isn't rail service between the resorts & airport.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by KRSW
We should all take note that the taxi/bus mob in Orlando is why there isn't rail service between the resorts & airport.
Same condition at FLL - one man has a monopoly on airport taxis and shared shuttles. He gives heavily to politicians to protect his monopoly.
Old May 25, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm pretty amazed that the big players in Orlando that bring the tourists in allow this to persist.
Old May 25, 2016, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm pretty amazed that the big players in Orlando that bring the tourists in allow this to persist.
Doesn't Mears have a contract with Disney? Disney owns Orlando.
Old May 30, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold
How to catch an UberX @ MCO

MCO is my home airport, and I have dealt with this for some time, so I want to make this very clear for those traveling here.

MCO's main building has 4 floors, in descending order: Level 3 (Departures), Level 2 (Baggage Claim / Arrivals), Level 1 (Ground Transportation), and Tunnel/Parking. When you de-plane at MCO, everyone must first take a tram from their gate to get to the main building. Once you exit the tram, you are on Level 3 (Departures) of the main building.

If you checked bags, you should first determine which "side" you need to go, A or B, before exiting security. If you flew with an airline in Terminal B (American, United, Delta, etc.), then follow the sign towards side B and go down one floor to Level 2. If you flew with an airline in Terminal A (Southwest, JetBlue, Alaska/Virgin, etc.), go down a floor to Level 2 on side A to pick up your bags.

If you didn't check bags, just stay on Level 3 and walk outside onto the curb. If you picked up bags on Level 2, go outside on the curb of Level 2. Every curbside area outside every door in MCO has a door number someone standing outside or driving by can plainly see. Door numbers for Levels 2/3 and Sides A/B are all unique. Remember which side/Terminal you are on, whether you are on Level 2 (Baggage Claim / Arrivals) or Level 3 (Departures), and the DOOR NUMBER you are standing under.

Now, when you want to call an UberX, you need to drop your pin (toggle the map inside Uber's app to position the pin at the center of the screen) anywhere OUTSIDE the airport. Smart Uber drivers do camp near the airport even though they know the airport is restricted. My recommendation is to drop your pin it just north of the center airport border near Highway 528 and Semoran Blvd. Once you see your Uber driver, CONTACT THEM IMMEDIATELY to tell them where you are. Sometimes, their English isn't perfect, so be clear in telling them:
1) You called an UberX, but you dropped a pin in the wrong place and need to be picked up at the airport.
2) Which Terminal you are at, A or B.
3) Whether you are at Arrivals / Baggage Claim (Level 2) or Departures (Level 3).
4) Which Door # you are standing under.

Most drivers will "get the picture" immediately. Just tell them something like: "Hi, I called for an Uber. I dropped a pin just outside the airport, but I'm at the airport now. I'm in Terminal B at the Arrivals / Baggage Claim area. Please come pick me up at Door 23."

It's very tough for them to screw up if you keep repeating: "Terminal B, Arrivals, Door 23". If their English is no bueno, you can use Google translate.

UberBlack is located on Level 1 (Ground Transportation), which is essentially the same cost as a Mears/yellow cab, or 3x the price of an UberX. For instance, my house is 20 minutes from the airport, and it costs $20-25 on an UberX. An UberBlack costs $60-70, and you get a nicer car. By nice I mean the last time I got an UberBlack at the airport it cost me $65 for a Chrysler 300. ROFLMAO. It still beats the crap product Mears is putting out there. Think New York taxi.

Mears is the classic local monopolistic taxi company that charges 3x what it costs an UberX with bad service and old cars. If you take them, you have joined the millions of tourists who get fleeced each year. To be clear, no person from Orlando in their right mind would ever take Mears or any yellow cab company. I literally have a physical urge to to pull tourists out of Mears cabs when I see them get picked up. Corruption is not rampant in Orlando as other parts of the world, but it is alive and well when it comes to Mears/yellow cabs at MCO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.