Suggestions for Orlando for seniors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for Orlando for seniors

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Just a note, I was just there, and while the old parking lots are mostly closed, the new parking garage is open. Traffic is still a nightmare though.
Me too, but with all the construction, the garage isn't something I would recommend either.

They are still working on the deck and it took nearly 30 minutes from getting in car to getting out of the parking lot and back onto the road during the day.

Traffic/crowds get worse as the day goes. I wouldn't want and avoided Downtown at night. Park near Cirque if at all possible, but that will fill quickly.

What was a busy and packed 3 lane road is down to 2 lanes.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I went early in the day, and it only took about 20 minutes to get into the garage. I normally make a few trips there, and because of the mess, only went once. If I needed to go another time, I would take the bus from my resort.

The top level of the garage is not finished, but at least 3 others are and were being used.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA
Finally went with an apartment off Disney given our needs. Some family members with young kids stayed last spring on site (art of animation) and had a blast, but all things considered, we prefer this.

Thanks again to everyone.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
perhaps a short boat tour?

I live in the MCO area and have annual passes to the parks, and have stayed at most of the Disney and other hotels over the years when I have guests and family visit. Disney and any of the parks are lots of walking, so you don't want to overwhelm yourselves trying to do everything. We like staying near the park we like most, which is EPCOT for us, so one of the Boardwalk hotels is convenient, plus it's a nice area to relax in if you don't go to the parks one day.

You might want to consider a couple day non-Disney excursions as well, which I take my 83 year old parents to when they are visiting from virginia, and they really enjoy. The nearby city of Winter Park is a great area for sidewalk cafes, quaint shops, and old town Florida feel. We especially like the one hour Winter Park boat tours that take you on the lakes by the old mansions. It's a nice break from the hustle and bustle of the parks.

There is also a fun lunch cruise out of Sanford Florida down the St Johns River which lasts about three hours and is a nature lovers dream. Sanford is a little over an hour from Disney, but it's an easy freeway drive.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by pthom
Decisions, decisions

It is not just leftovers. There is no substitute for a nice cup of hot tea or coffee or a warmed up bite to eat at any hour of the day with parents. I just want to make it comfortable for everyone without it being wildly expensive. (So excited )

Lot to mull over. Thanks folks.
Most rooms at Disney have coffee makers.

Art of Animation has both suites and regular rooms at reasonable (for Disney) pricing. The suites are quite roomy and have a microwave, dorm fridge, coffee maker, and maybe a toaster? Two full bathrooms and can sleep four adults in three beds in two separate rooms. Might be an option.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MCOGUY
Disney and any of the parks are lots of walking, so you don't want to overwhelm yourselves trying to do everything. We like staying near the park we like most, which is EPCOT for us, so one of the Boardwalk hotels is convenient, plus it's a nice area to relax in if you don't go to the parks one day.
Yup, we are just going to take things easy, no desire to get everything in and extract every cent's worth anymore

Originally Posted by Annerk
Most rooms at Disney have coffee makers.

Art of Animation has both suites and regular rooms at reasonable (for Disney) pricing. The suites are quite roomy and have a microwave, dorm fridge, coffee maker, and maybe a toaster? Two full bathrooms and can sleep four adults in three beds in two separate rooms. Might be an option.
This time around, we went with an apartment off Disney, but in future will go with something on Disney so we get to experience both sides. Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Quick update - thanks all, for suggestions. It was an awesome trip, great memories.

Will point this out re Disney trips for seniors -

- ECVs (electric wheelchairs) are very convenient in the park, but the shuttle we used from our apartment to Disney parks, did not have provisions for ECVs. So we had to rent one daily at Disney, which is pricier, compared to renting weekly or multiple days from a private source. It also meant a little more walking for seniors, from shuttle stop to entrance of park, etc. We had excellent weather, so it was not an issue.

Disboards proved a great resource. Also, if you are Canadian, do check out option of using airmiles for park tickets, (may need a week or so for them to mail tickets to your home).

Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.