Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Advice on helping Colombian family plan!

Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:37 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite

Gang,

My partners' family just called last night... they want to come to Orlando in January for two weeks for a Disney/Universal vacation.

Is there a particular agent that you would recommend who could help with this? Or should I just work on this and put together all the parts individually?

They are in Bogota.

Thanks,
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
There's no real benefit to using an agent, unless there are special deals from Colombia - and there may be.

It's a bit early for discounts for January, but monitor mousesavers.com and check the disney website regularly for specials. It's the least expensive time to go. Even with that, it's still not cheap

IF they come the first two weeks of Jan they will most likely have the place to themselves. It will be busy for MLK weekend, but other than that, it will be empty. FWIW - I'll be there the end of Jan
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:57 am
Original Poster

I am most likely looking at Jan 13 - Jan 28. Found the cheapest flights on JetBlue at that time.... and it would be direct flights. That makes it easier for them.

I would love to put them at a Disney property... but pretty expensive for them. Six people travelling. Might just Priceline it... and get a rental SUV/Van for them. And then buy the tickets to the parks.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:38 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
If they are planning on spending any time at Universal, the new Cabana Bay on-site hotel has "family suite" rooms that are very reasonably priced. They won't get the unlimited Express Pass option that the other on-site hotels offer, but given the time frame, it may not be all that crowded. Note, they will still get into the Harry Potter areas an hour earlier than the public. This can be a very good benefit as even on less crowded days for the parks, the Harry Potter areas can still get very crowded.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:47 am

There are also family suite rooms at Disney's Value resorts which are more affordable. What is the budget so we can make better recommendations?

It will be very uncrowded outside of MLK weekend.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Mary,

They have not given a budget... I just know they would want it to be inexpensive.... not much help huh?

I also want to do what I can to make it memorable... so do not want to go barebones... their first time there.

There will be four adults... a 14 year old boy and a 3 year old girl.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:13 am

Take a look at mousesavers for the family suites at one of the value resorts. It may be inexpensive.

That time of year is the least expensive, so don't rule out a disney hotel. They should announce specials within the next few months - so subscribe to the mousesavers newsletter.

With that many large people (and I mean no young children) they will need either a family suite or adjoining rooms.

You can forget about the DVC, as my friend has been working on it for me and unless they stay at Saratoga Springs in a 1 bedroom, and that is the least desirable of them (for some reason), looking to rent from an owner is probably not an option.

But it IS an option if you're looking to save some money and they might not care. It's located right behind Downtown Disney.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Mary, thank you so very much. I do subscribe to mousesavers so will check that out.

I have no problem with getting two rooms.... the parents may want to be away from the grandmother and kids....
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:36 am

Just PM or send an email if you want more info/help.

I do this for a lot of people on FT and friends. My favorite was the person without a budget. Now that family had a fabulous vacation

No, it is not my line of work. I do not make any money. I do it as a hobby since I've been there so many times and grew up with it as the place expanded. It IS daunting for a newbie.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Checked Livingsocial hotel deals?

It's not the Ritz but the Wyndham near Downtown Disney is going for $65 a night on LivingSocial plus the usual resort fee, if they charge one. The nice thing about any of the hotels near DD that are on Disney property, is that they have a Disney bus that goes to all the parks! Picks you up at the hotel in the morning and drops you off when said park closes. The bus eliminates the hassle and cost ($15) of parking at the parks (or getting lost going to/from the park). Stayed at one of the other nearby hotels; not this particular Wyndham, so can't comment it specifically.

https://www.livingsocial.com/escapes/properties/59995-orlando-hotel-near-theme-parks-more
Old Sep 12, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I agree that planning a visit to the parks has become much more complicated. The dates are good, but it's going to be a lot of money no matter what.

Tripadisor's Central Florida Forum is frequented by a lot of UK visitors who make multiple trips for 2+ weeks at a time. Some are newbies but others are veterans. I encourage you to use that forum as a resource. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum...a_Florida.html

On the subject of lodging, Travelzoo often has some excellent hotel deals. http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/orlando/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.