Search

Disney - Christmas Day / New Years Eve

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:37 am
McG
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

Do you need any additional tickets for Christmas Day / New Years Eve at Disney over and above a standard park pass?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
No but you need to be prepared for crowds. Get there early since the parks may fill up.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:43 am
McG
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

Many thanks. Planning to be there for park opening. Managed to get dining reservations for MK on Christmas Day & Epcot on NY eve.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
No but you need to be prepared for crowds. Get there early since the parks may fill up.
You will experience the biggest crowds of the year. The parks will fill up, often by 12 noon.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: FT
do they still give priority to resort guests when they hit capacity?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr
No.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by trajanc
No.

When did that change?

There are different phases of closing. They normally start with off-site guests or 1 day tickets before moving on.

Normally last closure is for guests staying on property.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr
Yes, they do.

I used to work as a trainer at the Disney Reservations Center. During busy times (like the back half of December), I was on the phones or walking the Sales Floor helping newer agents. The phased closure system is an integral part of crowd control. It's never going away.

For those who don't know what this is:

Disney uses a system of "phases" to limit the number of guests in a park due to capacity constraints. Here are the basics:
  • Phase 1: Open only to guests with pre-purchased, non-base level tickets. (Base level = "1 Day - 1 Park" or "Magic Your Way".)
  • Phase 2: Open only to Disney Resort Guests, Passholders, Guests "hopping" from another park, Guest re-entering the same park, Guests with dining reservations.
  • Phase 3: Open only to Disney Resort Guests, Passholders, Guests with dining reservations.
  • Phase 4: Closed to Everyone.

Phased closures are common at the end of December. For example, one Disney message board reported this for New Year's Eve 2013 at Magic Kingdom:
  • 9:40am: Phase 2 Closure
  • 11:04am: Phase 3 Closure
  • 8:00pm: Phase 3 ended - Open to All Guests
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Yes, they do.

I used to work as a trainer at the Disney Reservations Center. During busy times (like the back half of December), I was on the phones or walking the Sales Floor helping newer agents. The phased closure system is an integral part of crowd control. It's never going away.

For those who don't know what this is:

Disney uses a system of "phases" to limit the number of guests in a park due to capacity constraints. Here are the basics:
  • Phase 1: Open only to guests with pre-purchased, non-base level tickets. (Base level = "1 Day - 1 Park" or "Magic Your Way".)
  • Phase 2: Open only to Disney Resort Guests, Passholders, Guests "hopping" from another park, Guest re-entering the same park, Guests with dining reservations.
  • Phase 3: Open only to Disney Resort Guests, Passholders, Guests with dining reservations.
  • Phase 4: Closed to Everyone.

Phased closures are common at the end of December. For example, one Disney message board reported this for New Year's Eve 2013 at Magic Kingdom:
  • 9:40am: Phase 2 Closure
  • 11:04am: Phase 3 Closure
  • 8:00pm: Phase 3 ended - Open to All Guests
I just assumed because last year we spent New Years at All Star Sports (oddly expedia.ca had the ... handicap accessible rooms for $109 on NYE, once booked requested and got regular room) and a staffer there told us no, resort guests did not get priority admission. And now I do some research and the above is completely true. $*&/ !
lol We spent that night hanging out at the resort. Ahh well. We would have done that anyway as our 3 year old was ready for bed very early.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by trajanc
a staffer there told us no
That sucks. One of the problems of having over 50k Cast Members (a.k.a. employees) is that it's nearly impossible to information out to everyone. That was a fairly egregious mistake. Every front line Cast Member should have known about phased closures.

The silver lining was missing one of the busiest days of the year.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
That sucks. One of the problems of having over 50k Cast Members (a.k.a. employees) is that it's nearly impossible to information out to everyone. That was a fairly egregious mistake. Every front line Cast Member should have known about phased closures.

The silver lining was missing one of the busiest days of the year.
Thanks for confirming status quo. That said, this time of year is too busy and too expensive. Once is enough.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 2:14 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Milage Plan
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
How are the crowds in the beginning half of December?
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by ScoobyScott
How are the crowds in the beginning half of December?
The period between Thanksgiving and Christmas is one of the least crowded times of the year.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Except on the weekends, where the parks/hotels get pretty busy with all the people wanting to see the decorations and attend some special holiday functions.

Mid-week is blissfully quiet^
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by jabbered

When did that change?

There are different phases of closing. They normally start with off-site guests or 1 day tickets before moving on.

Normally last closure is for guests staying on property.
This is news to me. How do they tell who are off site guests to kick them out first as opposed to those staying at Disney hotels?

I did WDW over Christmas and NYE and it was so busy. Staying at a Disney hotel that gives you an extra hour or longer before the regular crowds enter was fabulous. I'd also recommend a Park Hopper Pass so that you can go back and forward to different parks throughout the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.