Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Orlando off airport check-in

Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:57 am
Original Poster

We were very happy to learn the company that operates the Disney RAC service had just openened a check in facility for passengers wishing to check in for their flight but not stayiong at a Disney resort. It is located at the Lake Buena Vista Outlet Mall on Hwy.535. We alyways wondered why you could not check in for your flight unless you were staying at Disney, well I guess now you can!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Is there a charge for this? If so, how much per person? It's free, or included in your room charges, if you're staying at a Disney hotel.

As well, it's pretty far off the beaten path - that outlet mall is not near the main tourist areas - or at least I found it off the beaten path. How are people going to get there?

I know Mear's has regular pickups from hotels in the area, including Disney, and depending upon the type of transportation you select (bus, cab, small bus) it could be a very inexpensive option.

But, cars often are so inexpensive, it really doesn't pay not to rent one.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:00 am
Original Poster

The service is $10.00 and it is located a couple miles from Disney so it is really close if you are staying at a lake buena vista area resort or hotel. We were staying at the Sheraton Vistana so it was only a half mile down 535 to the outlet mall where the check in is located.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:02 am

I guess that's not too far, if you don't mind dragging your things a half mile along a busy road, along with your family, in the Florida heat.

I don't think it costs that much more to call Mears for a pickup at your resort.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:57 am

Am I missing something? I see no real benefit to this?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:20 pm

No, I don't think you're missing anything
Old Mar 24, 2012, 6:19 am
Original Poster

I think think the benefits you may be missing is we had a car rental and drove to the check in faciliity and if you have ever done the bag drag to the airport with three small children and then stood in line for an hour at the airline ticket counter waiting to be checked it is was well worth the fee, in fact I would have gladly paid double just to get rid of the bags and avoid all the stress. I also saw they offer a free shuttle included with the check in that drops you at the airport but as I said we had rented a car.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 1:23 pm

OK.. so what you're really looking for is a check in and luggage service - not a ride to the airport.

For $10, total, it sounds like it may meet your needs, but honestly, most hotels now have the ability to check you in, or it may happen automatically when you're outbound (UA does this) - you can print a boarding pass at an airport kiosk. You can then drive yourself to the airport and instead of going straight to car rental return, go to the departing flights area to drop off your family and bags, which can be checked in curbside. You can then go off an return the car alone - all for free

I don't think this service is going to be around very long.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Why I think it'll work...

1) The process described by Mary of taking a rental car to kerbside etc is quite convoluted and having seen the lines at the airport many will look for an easy option.
2) There's a security aspect - better not to have your bags in the car on the last day.
3) Virgin Holidays have for some years had this kind of service for (their not insignificant) number of UK guests, probably numbering up to 2,000 guests each day. Granted they're less likely to have a rental car, but as point 2 explains, this isn't the main issue.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 6:44 am

We just used this service in Orlando for the second time and even got a discount with our eat and play card. Our flight was leaving Orlando airport at 7:35 PM so we checked-in at the off airport check-in facility at 8 AM when they open. We checked our bags and got our boarding passes and headed to Sizzler for breakfeast. We spent the rest of the day at Sea World and arrived at the airport at 6:30 and we able to go straight to our boarding gate once we got through security. The benefit of the service for me was I can never relax until and I have checked my bags and have my seats and boarding passes. It just relieves alot of stress and we were able to enjoy our last day at Sea World without having to worry about how long the check in line was at the airport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.