Search

Monorail tensabelt barrier man

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Monorail tensabelt barrier man

OK, I fail to see the purpose of the existence of the man that walks up and down the monorail line slowly removing the tensabelt that is in place in front of the monorail doors. What on earth is that all about? Presumably tourists were dying by the dozen until he was put in place. Ridiculous.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
The monorail person helped Grandma on and off the scooter, as well as other handicapped people.. Other uses, maybe to make sure everyone stands clear of the door prior to monorail train departure.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
The monorail person helped Grandma on and off the scooter, as well as other handicapped people.. Other uses, maybe to make sure everyone stands clear of the door prior to monorail train departure.
That's one of their primary purposes They are there to assit guests onto the monorail as well as answers general questions about the Parks and resorts.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Come to think of it.. the absence of real person assistance would make me wonder how safe it would be transferring those who are handicapped on and off of the monorails.. Let's say the door shuts and grandma is dragged.. or trying to get a wheel chair/scooter on and off of the ramp.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's amazing how people have remained unscathed without the barrier man. I guess they have just been lucky.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 8:59 pm
Suspended

check out www.themeparkinsiders.com , the have a list of accident records, and a few was with monorails slamming head on with each other. Not the barrier man's fault though.. www.youtube.com has actual movies of accidents.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:53 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
OK, I fail to see the purpose of the existence of the man that walks up and down the monorail line slowly removing the tensabelt that is in place in front of the monorail doors. What on earth is that all about? Presumably tourists were dying by the dozen until he was put in place. Ridiculous.
Are you referring to airport or Disney on this one?

The only places that have the tensebelt on the Disney monorail are are the resorts, and I am not sure that they still use it. EPCOT Aand the TTC have the large sliding gates and the MK line has automatic gates.

At the airport, you have TSA playing trains during international arrivals where they use the tensebelt in front of the glass doors of the tram to prevent cross contamination...

Last edited by Crazyhotelguy; Nov 22, 2010 at 4:58 am
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:08 pm
Suspended

CHG.. you may have a point.. as I thought the reference to the man, was just at the gates of the monorail at each stop.. I don't remember a man physically manning the Airport monorail.. that could have changed.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
CHG.. you may have a point.. as I thought the reference to the man, was just at the gates of the monorail at each stop.. I don't remember a man physically manning the Airport monorail.. that could have changed.
Yes.... TSA likes to play trains at MCO
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:12 pm
Suspended

CrazyHotelGuy.. How's tourism like at MCO nowadays?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:16 pm

CrazyHotelGuy.. How's tourism like at MCO nowadays?
Down but not out!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Doesn't seem to be too big of discounts offered on Park tickets.. I mean, there were better deals for Universal in 08, and 09 than there is now.. I guess with Harry Potter, who needs to discount? Disney is trying everything and anything but not discount on their tickets.. Peripherally, the 21 day and 14 day ultimate tickets are the way to go.. Mentioned to Disney reservations I'm going on the ultimate pass, and the attendant says.. the way to save is stay longer.. it's true.. look at the value you're getting on these passes.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Are you referring to airport or Disney on this one?

The only places that have the tensebelt on the Disney monorail are are the resorts, and I am not sure that they still use it. EPCOT Aand the TTC have the large sliding gates and the MK line has automatic gates.

At the airport, you have TSA playing trains during international arrivals where they use the tensebelt in front of the glass doors of the tram to prevent cross contamination...
It was at MCO. What cross contamination are they preventing? One side of doors does not open until the other one closes.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It was at MCO. What cross contamination are they preventing? One side of doors does not open until the other one closes.
Maybe that's just a safety issue so that little kids don't just run in and thru? Was there a contamination alert at MCO?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Maybe that's just a safety issue so that little kids don't just run in and thru? Was there a contamination alert at MCO?
Nope. Didn't see any event that made him necessary whatsoever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.