EMAIL OPTION not working?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2004, 10:09 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
EMAIL OPTION not working?

Hi,

I had someone tell me they could not send me an email because I had disabled that function.

I knew that was not true and verified it:

Receive EmailFrom time to time, the administrators may want to send you email notices.

If you do not want to receive these notices, disable this option.
Receive Email from Administrators

You can allow other members to send you email messages.
Receive Email from Other Members

I have check marks by both these options... however, when I go to "EMAIL Member" it says I have disable the function... but I have not.

Anyone else having this problem? Suggestions to resolve?

William
Old Apr 8, 2004, 4:27 pm
Community Director Emerita

Allow vCard download

William, this is highly confusing to me, you and I suspect the vast majority of FTers. Enabling email doesn't actually reveal your email to others. What you have to check is the following:

Allow vCard download
You may choose to allow other users to download a vCard containing your email address and username.

If you want to keep your email address private, do not allow vCard downloads.
Allow vCard Download
Old Apr 8, 2004, 4:54 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I did that...

and then logged out and restarted and still people can't email me??
Old Apr 8, 2004, 4:57 pm

We've disabled the email system in order to protect email address from harvesters. If you want to communicate with other FTers, we suggest you use the Private Messaging feature. Depending on your individual profile settings, you may have to enable it from within the MyFlyerTalk area. Just check the "Enable Private Messaging" option from the "Edit Options" link.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 5:17 pm
Community Director Emerita

Please let us chose to reveal email addresses

Originally Posted by flyertalk
We've disabled the email system in order to protect email address from harvesters.
I thought that it was to be our option if we wanted to reveal our email addresses. Honestly, I'm not all that keen on the private message capability of FT. 70 messages isn't much in an FTers life nor is the individual length sufficient. Perhaps I am verbose. Yesterday, I responded to a private message and discovered I had exceeded the allowed length. But how can you discuss a travel experience succinctly?

I've been a frequent Do organizer, and have found access to email addresses invaluable in communication. I've harvested emails from FT profiles, and then sent group emails.

I hope that you will rethink this policy as we all grow more accustomed to what we want and need with this new board format. Please let each of us make our own decisions as to whether we are willing to give our email addresses.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 5:33 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
what Carol said

goes for me too!
Old Apr 8, 2004, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would like normal email as well.

Can't access FlyerTalk messages from my cell phone, is just one reason why.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 7:49 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Ditto Premex! and Carol!

I would like to see the option back to what we had on the old Flyertalk.

If I choose to make my email address available, then it is my decision.

I also rarely check Flyertalk while traveling but I do check my email.

So, the private messaging would do me no good... and as Carol said, the 70 private message limit is not helpful either. I can only imagine the server space it would take if every member used the private message feature to save messages.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 8:19 pm

Location: BKK, formerly Irvine, CA, UA 1-k-MM, Hilton-gold, Gold Starwood
I am with Carol, please reinstal emails.

Regards,
Robert

Only other option Carol is to add your email to your signature.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
One of the vBulletin admin control panel options is:

Allow Users to Email Other Members
Allow users to send emails to other users. Use the option below to determine how the emails are sent.

Yes No
This, as people have found, is presently turned off on FT.

The next option on the control panel is:

Use Secure Email Sending
If 'Allow Users to Email Other Members' is set to 'Yes', how should members' email addresses be displayed?

If this is set to 'Yes', then an online form must be filled in to send a user an email, thus hiding the destination email address.

Setting 'No' will mean that the user is just given the email address in order to send email using their email client application.

Yes No
This might be the way to go for FT if they wish to allow users to reach each other by e-mail but without revealing the recipient's e-mail address. Of course it means a bit of a load on the server, but it looks like that shouldn't be a problem, as FT is blazingly fast lately.

FewMiles..
Old Apr 9, 2004, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Was going to start another thread & I still will cuz this needs to be addressed & the current - new - way is NOT a good way to handle it.

Ok, I know you want to avoid harvesting emails - fair enough, but those of us who allow our emails to bed posted hope it won't be harvested but understand stuff happens & it's not FT's fault.

Going on to FT is a pain to get messages. I'm on email a lot; I'm not always on FT & it's a pain to log onto FT just to get messages. I want BOTH options.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Apr 9, 2004 at 6:01 pm
Old Apr 9, 2004, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
and I can't figure out how to delete my sent messages...
In the Private Messaging area, there should be a "Jump to Folder:" drop down list from which you can select your "Sent Items" folder.

FewMiles..
Old Apr 9, 2004, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge VintageŽ) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I hope that you will rethink this policy as we all grow more accustomed to what we want and need with this new board format. Please let each of us make our own decisions as to whether we are willing to give our email addresses.
Absolutely - especially in light of the numerous posts from Moderators (and perhaps even Randy, though I'm not sure) that we should always try to communicate with other users via e-mail if we have a problem with their posts ...
Old Apr 10, 2004, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Turn back on the email addresses please ...................

Agree with all the above.

Lets allow those who wish to email each other do so please.

If my email address has not been harvested years back I'd be most surprised! It has always been my choice to leave it on public display, and I still would like to do that please.

As we have seen many times before - huge lists of FT email addresses have been able to be rapidly sourced via Google, and I suspect they still are there is anyone wants to go looking.

Entering an archived FT portal like this one below from a few months back will offer any harvester all the real emails addresses they require, so why turn it off now?

http://web.archive.org/web/200306032...milesfr.shtml:

Joh was going nuts a few days back trying to assemble an email data base of the 50 or so folks recorded as being interested din OzFest 94 next month, and basically gave up in frustration. I (wrongly) had advised her most of those replying had email addresses visible.

Until a well known FT'er emailed me today advising my email was not visible I had no clue that was the case. Which is annoying as Forums like Coupon Connection most especially need the ability to contact others via email.

I went and looked at my box in my profile:

You can allow other members to send you email messages.
Receive Email from Other Members

And the second option WAS checked, so how many FT'ers have no clue they can't be emailed after they have checked that box?
Old Apr 10, 2004, 9:56 am

Programs: Almost all status expired. Hilton Silver. UA 0.8 MM. AA 0.6 MM.
Please turn e-mails on.

My private message box is filling up, and I'd like these messages in my normal e-mail box... It's also MUCH easier to read my 100+ e-mails a day in my regular mail program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.