Betterbidding growth in 11 days

Old May 4, 2009, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Betterbidding growth in 11 days

I was curious, so thought I'd watch the growth on www.betterbidding.com. Meant to check at 10 days, but it slipped my mind.

In 11 days the site gained 540 new registered members, or just shy of 50 a day. There were 230 on-line when I left it to come over here; 204 guests, 25 members and only 1 anonymous. (The ratio of guests to members is fairly typical.)

Must be doing something right in it's casual, relaxed, agreeable approach?

Romelle
Old May 4, 2009, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; DL Gold; PC Plat; SPG Gold; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Romelle

Must be doing something right in it's casual, relaxed, agreeable approach?
LOL. That, and the fact that members aren't regularly banned.
Old May 4, 2009, 1:25 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Just sounds like the people who get banned by Shirl on a daily basis are registering on that website....

Oh wait... looks like only about 30% of her daily bannings are registering there....
Old May 6, 2009, 7:37 am

LOL. I found FlyerTalk a while ago by searching for people banned from BiddingforTravel. Add my name to the list.

So it's win-win for all these other sites, including FlyerTalk...we all end up here and find other sites that offer similar services to BFT, like BetterBidding and BidLessTravel. And it's even win-win for the jackboot mods at BFT, as they have fewer and fewer customers to "deal with."

I have a pic of the uber Brownshirt, should you guys want to see the face behind the ban button...looks mean, even.
Old May 14, 2009, 9:45 pm

Programs: Starwood, United, Alaska Air
Banned for doing what???

What in heavens name could someone do on a travel forum to get banned?
Is the moderator to annal?
Old May 15, 2009, 7:55 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by angiecov33
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onlin...ng-travel.html is a lengthy thread that discusses this site.
Old May 15, 2009, 9:34 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
It has pretty much become the running joke in this forum that if you have a pulse, you have a high likelihood of getting banned from that site.
Old May 15, 2009, 9:04 pm

I believe that only an extremely small % of members at Biddingfortravel.com have been banned. I also believe, from reading the explanations of those who have been banned, that they generally declined to participate fully as requested in furthering the activities of BFT and didn't recognize that they had become a burden to the forum. Taking up time but not contributing. Freeloading might be the term I am looking for. It isn't as if you had your key to the Executive Dining Room taken away from you. Very sad.
Old May 15, 2009, 10:13 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by rmiller774
I believe that only an extremely small % of members at Biddingfortravel.com have been banned. I also believe, from reading the explanations of those who have been banned, that they generally declined to participate fully as requested in furthering the activities of BFT and didn't recognize that they had become a burden to the forum. Taking up time but not contributing. Freeloading might be the term I am looking for. It isn't as if you had your key to the Executive Dining Room taken away from you. Very sad.

Say what? It is impossible for a freeloader to get banned, because such a person would never register and only glean information.
Old May 15, 2009, 10:18 pm

Programs: ac, as
It takes so little to be banned. Myself for example had registered yrs ago on that forum and had changed e mails. I bid using her link and posted the result. She wanted me to spell the name of the hotel and mailed an e mail to a very old e mail acct. By the time I noticed a msg on BFT I had been banned. Her response? Thats what you get for not replying to msg soon enough.

Its hardly that were freeloaders-and if you continue to support her you'll soon find yourself on the receiving end. Why utilize a board knowing many worthwhile bid results don't get posted?
Old May 16, 2009, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by rmiller774
I've used that site many times before... and I won't ever get banned. Why? Simply because I just don't bother to register and ask questions or assistance.

I've seen how she treats people's requests, it's either her way or the highway. I actually wouldn't mind contributing my findings there, but seeing how I may wind up actually getting the boot from the site, I chose to do nothing instead and just watch.

It's too bad really, because she'd get a lot more people to help post data points... but it's her site, and how she wants to run it is her choice.

I can vouch for my own activity and half a dozen people that I referred to on that site that we'd all like to put in some input, but we all seem to feel it's not worth getting admonished if we don't use her links.

Flyertalk on the other hand, seems to be a treasure trove of info... and the mods don't bust our chops (usually)
Old May 18, 2009, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Do we need yet ANOTHER "Bash Sheryl" thread????

FlyerTalk is just way too repetitious.

Note: my post is NEITHER an attack NOR a defense of the founder of biddingfortravel. It's just a comment on how boring FT has become.

Why not come up with something new to ask or comment on rather than rehashing stuff that's already been beaten to death in other threads?
Old May 18, 2009, 2:18 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Who is this "Sheryl"?

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Do we need yet ANOTHER "Bash Sheryl" thread????

FlyerTalk is just way too repetitious.

Note: my post is NEITHER an attack NOR a defense of the founder of biddingfortravel. It's just a comment on how boring FT has become.

Why not come up with something new to ask or comment on rather than rehashing stuff that's already been beaten to death in other threads?
Old May 18, 2009, 2:51 pm

LOL-Wharvey,you made my day.
I tend to agree with kathy,at least as far as the "rehashing." Let's try and stay on this topic of BB's growth. I realize that it's difficult to not link their growth to Sheryl's tactics, but let's try and move those comments to a more approriate thread.
That said,I can't help but remark that FT may seem boring to some, but thank God stating that doesn't get you banned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.