Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Any experience booking with Vayama.com?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience booking with Vayama.com?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
I book using vayama only when the closest prices I am getting are more than $50 off. The reason is that Vayama charges an atrocious $100 cancellation fee. This is way higher than what a travel agent would charge. I am sure if this cancellation fee is reduced, vayama would draw significantly more volume of traffic
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:12 pm

Cost of Making Changes to Intl Airline Tickets

Kyunbit makes a good point for ALL travelers to consider. That is, all factors should be considered before making your travel purchase. That includes the cost to make changes should that be necessary following ticketing. This should be disclosed within the terms and conditions.

I won't argue that vayama charges a premium when changes are processed. But what I feel is even more "atrocious" are the penalties the airline charges for changes/cancelation. On average, for a change to an international airline ticket a penalty of $250/person is charged. The airline collects this by subtracting it from the value of the original ticket, then charge the difference between the original fare paid and the changed ticket cost. And when the booking was initiated by an agency (whether online or a traditional bricks and mortar shop), it's the AGENCY that does all the work. So basically, the airline collects these huge penalties, but don't have to do any of the work.

I understand that most of us make our travel purchase with the thought that we won't be changing anything. But stuff happens that can get in the way of using the ticket for the dates booked. And when that happens, yes, there's a price to pay.

I have a long time saying of, "The big print giveth, and the small print taketh away". Keep that in mind when purchasing ANYTHING where the price appears to be a great deal. Read the small print (Terms and Conditions) to ensure you are making an informed buying decision. At least that way you won't be shocked if/when you need to make a change.

In closing, vayama offers very competitive rates on International Air Travel. If you don't or won't be making any changes, you're going to be a very happy camper. But if subsequently you need to make changes, know there will be a cost....both penalties charged by the airline and a processing charge by vayama. A good general rule of thumb when purchasing ALL travel is, the deeper the discount, the more restrictive the change/cancelation requirements will be. READ THE FINE PRINT!

Happy Travels!!

Sincerely,
David
Vayama Customer Relations Manager
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:00 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Vayama customer disservice is not at all helpful. I just booked a biz class ticket on Vayama because it was a few dollars cheaper than Travelocity or Expedia. Big mistake!

The ticket purchase email included a 5 digit PNR on British Midland (the flight I bought was a BD codeshare on a United flight). That's useless since PNRs are 6 digits. It also included an e-ticket number that didn't include the e-ticket carrier code number -- maybe you can find carrier code numbers via Google, but so far I haven't succeeded!

So the info is useless for making seat requests, adding FF numbers, etc. I called "customer support" which is in India. I also emailed them. The phone guy said to call the airline, they had no information. The email wasn't answered.

Coincidentally, Vayama's corporate HQ appear to be in a small office suite about 4 miles from where I live. Thinking of visiting in person tomorrow!
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:45 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by februaryfour
I can answer that--I'm looking at a fare search on Vayama right now. If you click on "Fare Details" under the suggested itinerary, you can see the fare code. For example, UA's is TLXR. (I have no idea what this means. )

NB: If you are not looking at a specific airline's offering, this may not appear.
T (fare basis) x (weekday Mon-Thurs-Sat) L (low season)
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:58 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update: A few hours after I published the above post, customer service emailed me back with the BMI record locator. Too bad it isn't the UA record locator so I can select seats and put in my FF#! Also, too bad that the guy on the phone couldn't do whatever the email response did to get the record locator -- this guy wasn't even intersted in looking at my Vayama booking.

Still not a happy camper.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Especially since I started this thread, I thought I'd provide my own experience with Vayama from earlier this year. Basically, it turned out fine, but there was some definite misinformation and lack of information from Vayama along the way. I'll paste in my email to them, which summarizes the issue:

I am very concerned that Air France has no record of me for the June 16, 2010 flight from Budapest to Paris. This is purchased from Vayama (as part of a larger ticket) as Malev flight number MA 6558, but (according to Air France) it actually is Air France flight number 1695. In both calling Air France and going to its website, I provided my name, the ticket number and the Malev reservation number. But Air France has no record of my being on this flight.

I would appreciate your checking on this, confirming that I am on the flight in business class, and, of greatest importance, getting back to me with the Air France reservation number for me for this flight. I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.

If it also is possible to arrange a seat assignment, I would like a window seat.

Cheers,

[Thunderroad]

PS: I might add that in calling Vayama customer assistance today, XXXXX of your India call center was polite and tried to be helpful but had incorrect information--first telling me that it was in fact a Malev flight, then insisting I could check in online right now for it. You need better training for your personnel.

As indicated in my email, I was concerned that I would show up at the airport in Budapest, but Air France would have no record of me.

Vayama initially handled it very poorly, both in terms of the India call center supervisor not getting back to me after promising to do so and its customer support center ([email protected]) failing to clarify matters. But once I reached a woman named Jessica at a different Vayama desk, customer feedback ([email protected]), the information was much clearer and more reassuring. She was much more certain about Malev-Air France arrangement and assured me in writing that Vayama would assume financial responsibility if I missed my flight because Air France did not recognize the Malev ticket.

As it turned out, once I was in Budapest and could actually talk to the Air France personnel at the airport, I was told that somehow their process works such that they don't receive information about Malev code share passengers until, IIRC, 48 hours before the flight. Still, if Vayama is going to sell such code share tickets, it should be able to understand and explain that process.

Would I use Vayama again? Perhaps, if the discount price was good enough. Jessica was very prompt and professional in how she handled my issue. I certainly would recommend that folks having problems skip customer care, and instead email the customer feedback desk. My overall impression is that Vayama is a responsible organization, but that some of its personnel lack sufficient training or supervision.

For that matter, Vayama might want to have its customer feedback personnel, who seem to be more senior and/or professional, regularly review the correspondence that customer care is handling.

One other thing I'd add that I've noticed in checking Vayama online: Sometimes if I ask for quote for a business class ticket, the prices that come back include legs that are in economy class. Nothing dishonest about this, but conceivably a customer could overlook this in assuming that the quotes are for a completely business class itinerary.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Oct 23, 2010 at 2:03 pm
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:20 am

Has anyone ever been able to get a ''real'' TA to match a Vayama fare without having to actually go thru Vayama?

Vayama has a 1165$ fare for flights that AC wants 1615-1789$ for. That is obviously a big difference, but it seems I've only heard good stories when everything went according to schedule. As soon as a voluntary or unvoluntary change needs to be done, then it all goes ''it's not my department''

I've been stranded once in my life halfway accross the planet when no one wanted to do anything to help me get me home and I absolutely do not even want to risk living that feeling again, not even for 600$:/
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:52 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I have been scouring the interwebs and trying all sorts of crazy coupons for a decent price on a 6 day convertible rental in LA. Prices were averaging $600+ at the reputable places. I was willing to pick-up from any rental location in LA even though LAX would be most convenient.

Through Vayama, I was able to book a convertible at LAX for $317 all in. The reservation is with Avis, which was one of the pricier options on other booking engines. I am also satisfied with the amount of documentation of the reservation. Hopefully there will be no problems at Avis.
Old May 9, 2011, 4:22 pm

Does Vayama still exist?

I have tried to call Vayama, but I keep getting disconnected no matter which option I select. I booked a ticket with them months ago, but yesterday, the airline website shows a message "Your reservation has been modified and your ticket must be reissued." yet none of the flights are different. I am very concerned that their phones aren't connecting.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 3:42 am

Has issues with Vayama. 2322 was the price on the internet. it wouldn't let me book it said there was a booking availability problem and call customer service. The guy(Marshall) said it was still available, then when he went to confirm the flight it jumped to 2800 per person in Usd.
Is this usual business for them?
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:33 pm

NEVER EVER BOOK WITH VAYAMA!!!!!

If you want to make a change with Vayama, you always get a quote first before it can be processed. This is what happened to me in these quotes:
- Incorrect person travelling
- Incorrect flight date
- Incorrect flight number
- Incorrect destination airport
- Incorrect airline
- Customer representative misplaced my credit card information
- Answers usually took 2 days, sometimes more

The customer agents at Vayama were so incompetent although I told them the exact flight numbers, dates, times and destination airports that I wanted to travel on, that the whole process of changing my ticket took 2 weeks - in which the ticket price went up like crazy.

The best thing - they charge you 100USD for this s*** service.

Conclusion: NEVER BOOK WITH VAYAMA AGAIN BUT ONLY WITH THE AIRLINE DIRECTLY
Old Feb 9, 2014, 1:51 am

Contemplating booking our upcoming trip to HKG, as Vayama offers much lower fare than anyone else and they're offering the multi-city itinerary that the airline itself does not even offer on its own website. But these comments above are making me scared to work with them.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 5:05 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
warnings with vayama

Originally Posted by evergrn
Contemplating booking our upcoming trip to HKG, as Vayama offers much lower fare than anyone else and they're offering the multi-city itinerary that the airline itself does not even offer on its own website. But these comments above are making me scared to work with them.

if there are no problems or changes, you'll likely be OK. BUT any change can breed a world of hurt as their customer service is nothing-none-nonexistent.
Also keep in mind that what they sometimes do is take your $$ and essentially bet that they can find a ticket for cheaper than they charged you. If they can't it's possible you'll wind up close to your flight date with no ticket at all.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr
Also keep in mind that what they sometimes do is take your $$ and essentially bet that they can find a ticket for cheaper than they charged you. If they can't it's possible you'll wind up close to your flight date with no ticket at all.
Are you serious?!! That's fraud!
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:19 pm

Exclamation Vayama: Avoid

Vayama is a terrible company. They told me they were charging me a $50 cancellation fee, then they double-charged me a total of $105. They promised to refund the charge if I supplied them with certain information, then they failed to refund it. When I called them repeatedly, their recorded message said that the office was closed, but they didn’t say when the office would be open. Apparently never. When I emailed them, they sent an automatic reply saying they’d get back to me in 24 hours, then they never got back to me. I had to dispute the charges through my credit card in order to get my money back. The rate they tried to charge me for the flight was $80 higher than if I booked the same flight directly through the airline. In other words, Vayama was charging $80 for the privilege of booking through them. Booking directly through the airline's website was just as easy and much cheaper. The route was Phnom Penh to Shanghai and the airline was Cambodian Angkor Air. Many of Vayama's other rates are equally high, their cancellation fees are ridiculous, and their customer service is non-existent. Avoid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.