Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Disputing Hotel Star Ratings on Priceline

Disputing Hotel Star Ratings on Priceline

Old Jul 12, 2007, 1:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Originally Posted by cornellalum
The Priceline bid and reservation was for 4 nights. Originally, we were planning a day trip out of town. However, given the conditions of the accommodations, we changed the car rental and decided to make it an overnight trip to enjoy a nicer room for one night. Another family member paid for the room, so the cost was opaque to me.

We did not inform the hotels staff that we were leaving. There's really no point in checking out and checking in again since we had already prepaid for the room. So this empty room during the overnight trip went unnoticed by the hotel staff, and it certainly did not have any impact on the hotel's decision of a 50% refund.

Thanks. I assumed that was the case, but just wanted to clarify.

Continued good luck!
Old Jul 12, 2007, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
Priceline should close your account and refuse to do business with you again. Just like Sprint wireless, Priceline should realize some customers are more trouble than they're worth.
Colin:

The OP is *NOT* one of the "customers (that make) .. more trouble than they're worth".
Please read the thread. The hotel did put him in a dump and was not willing to give him a clean room....the hotel (almost) ruined his 4th of July vacation.
Actually, Priceline should refuse to do business with this hotel.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 5:08 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I have been following this thread with interest. Be wary of disputing the charge with Priceline. I have heard that if someone disputes a Priceline charge with the credit card company then they lock that credit card out of their system for future use. I would email Priceline first.
I'm wondering where you heard this? From someone it actually happened to?

I suspect that discriminating against someone who exercises their rights under Federal Law to dispute a billing error would be a violation of law.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
I'm wondering where you heard this? From someone it actually happened to?

I suspect that discriminating against someone who exercises their rights under Federal Law to dispute a billing error would be a violation of law.
lmao. It's not.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:13 pm

The OP went all over the place in his OP. The hotel qualifes as a 3 star. 24 hour room service is not a requirement for any star level, let alone a 3 star.

The OP's complaint is the condition of the room. He shouldn't be making a credit card complaint, until PL responds to his complaint.

Originally Posted by USAFAN
Colin:

The OP is *NOT* one of the "customers (that make) .. more trouble than they're worth".
Please read the thread. The hotel did put him in a dump and was not willing to give him a clean room....the hotel (almost) ruined his 4th of July vacation.
Actually, Priceline should refuse to do business with this hotel.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:56 pm
B1

Another update:
Priceline emailed me this morning. They contacted the hotel's General Manager who agreed to refund 2 of 4 nights for the inconvenience.
I think that's excellent progress - in fact I believe one of my earlier posts suggested that you or PL should contact the hotel's general manager. The proposed resolution is a matter for discussion. If Priceline cannot get a full refund they might give you a credit for the difference for a future stay through Priceline anywhere. It probably depends on what has happened with other customers at the same hotel, how they were handled, and how other properties in the area do as far as customer service. I had a similar situation - not as bad - but not good - with Hawthorne Suites in Arizona on Hotwire. In that case, Hotwire gave me a future credit, which was fine. I would think that a credit from PL would be as good as cash and easier for all parties.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Update:
Yet another email from Priceline this morning saying that they have determined they have addressed my issues and they are unable to assist me further.

Our records indicate that our Executive Services team has addressed our policies regarding your reservations to the fullest extent possible.

Please understand that these policies are directly tied to contractual agreements with our airline, hotel and car rental partners and are strictly enforced in order to maintain strong relationships with those same partners.

Although we empathize with your situation, we are truly unable to assist you further in this matter. Additional correspondence on this issue will not be replied to. For future reference, your concern has been documented.
So the final resolution from Priceline is exactly what the hotel agreed to refund. I am glad that Priceline was able to do this, but I am disappointed that they are not taking any further action to provide me with a complete refund or remove the hotel from their list of partners.

Now I need to determine if I want to contest the remaining charge on my credit card, and if I even do have a case with them. In terms of value for price paid, I see a partial refund as acceptable. Yet the "quality of services" received by Priceline is not up to par, I believe I am still well within my rights to contest it.

A more detailed explanation of my issues with the property still to come, along with pictures.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
While I completely sympathize with your disappointment at the Copley Plaza's condition, I do think the refund tendered so far is pretty good, and if I were in your shoes, the idea of launching another round of effort with a "more detailed explanation" plus pictures would fail cost/benefit analysis.

Consider that you have already cost the Copley Square Hotel, if not Priceline also, considerable business, and maybe changed the way numerous people bid on PL. (This thread has more than 1,400 views to date.) I don't believe, objectively, that you deserve a total, 100-percent refund... and I don't believe chiseling loose the rest of the funds involved would be worth the time it takes to launch a major fishing expedition.

That's just me, but from my perspective it would be move-on time.

Last edited by BearX220; Jul 13, 2007 at 12:23 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Jul 13, 2007, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
While I completely sympathize with your disappointment at the Copley Plaza's condition, I do think the refund tendered so far is pretty good, and if I were in your shoes, the idea of launching another round of effort with a "more detailed explanation" plus pictures would fail cost/benefit analysis.

Consider that you have already cost the Copley Square Hotel, if not Priceline also, considerable business, and maybe changed the way numerous people bid on PL. (This thread has more than 1,400 views to date.) I don't believe, objectively, that you deserve a total, 100-percent refund... and I don't believe chiseling loose the rest of the funds involved would be worst the time it takes to launch a major fishing expedition.

That's just me, but from my perspective it would be move-on time.
BearX220:
I believe, the hotel should have refunded 100%!
However, I agree 100% with you: Take the 50% refund and move on ...
I would not go any further .. I would *NOT* contest the remaining charge on (the) credit card. Priceline has done his job, negotiation with the hotel. And it's PLs decision, if they keep this hotel or not.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:39 am

Programs: AA ExPLT
The OP would have had a better and stronger case for a full refund if he had left the hotel - perhaps not the first night as he indicates that they arrived late on a sold out night, but certainly after - and definitely should not have returned after they spent one night elsewhere. If the room was infested with bedbugs, how could they stay there? It is always more difficult to receive a full refund after you used the services, because by staying you are in effect agreeing that the conditions were liveable if not the best. This is like eating your meal after you find the roach in it and THEN expecting it to be free. By consuming the service (and, in the OP's case, for four days) you accept the standard.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by catwings01
This is like eating your meal after you find the roach in it and THEN expecting it to be free. By consuming the service (and, in the OP's case, for four days) you accept the standard.
I agree -- it's like the old joke:

"The food in this restaurant is so bad!"

"Oh yes -- and the portions are so small!"
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catwings01
If the room was infested with bedbugs, how could they stay there?
The more detailed explanation I had wanted to provide earlier was specifically about the point of bedbugs, since so many people brought this point up. Perhaps I misuse this term, but there were some bugs in the room that bit me while I was sleeping. Each one of us ended up with a couple of bites. We did not see these bugs, and I am not sure if whether they are indeed bedbugs as defined by Wikipedia (sometimes an inaccurate source of information, I know). Many of you regarded this as a "infestation." We got bitten a few times, that's icky and annoying, but there's not much we could have done. Priceline had informed us they could not provide alternative accommodations or refund our money, so our other alternative at that time was to move elsewhere, sped more money for another hotel room, and get double charged for both hotel rooms. My budget certainly isn't that flexible in spending that additional money. And so we decided to stay.

It is always more difficult to receive a full refund after you used the services, because by staying you are in effect agreeing that the conditions were liveable if not the best.
I agree. Liveable, but filthy.

By consuming the service (and, in the OP's case, for four days) you accept the standard.
And I disagree here. We consumed the service because we decided that other alternatives were too costly. We do not accept the standard of the room.

All of you who are of the opinion that I should move on make valid points, and I really appreciate your input, even though it's contrary to what I'm thinking right now. On the one hand I feel that a 50% refund is acceptable since we stayed in their (horrible) room and consumed their services, but on the other hand I feel that Priceline didn't come through for me this time around, so I should go for the other 50%.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 1:45 pm

I sure hit the nail on the head yesterday.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 1:46 pm
B1

This time of year there could well have been a mosquito in the room that would cause a couple of bites. If you have not sought medical treatment for whatevr reason, it would seem that the damages that have been voluntarily awarded by the hotel are as much as you can expect. You can see the glass as being half full and depart with lessons learned and what I would consider a victory that was obtained by Priceline's intervention.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA ExPLT

And I disagree here. We consumed the service because we decided that other alternatives were too costly. We do not accept the standard of the room.
Making a decision - in this case, that other alternatives were too costly - is a choice. You chose to stay because your budget was tight. I am not saying the hotel is what it should have been or that you had an easy decision to make; just that consumers have a stronger case for refund in a situation involving claims of substandard conditions if they have not continued to use perishable services.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.