Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Car pick-up morning after originally booked?

Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17

I'm looking to reserve a car during the day on a Monday- I'd need it from 9am until 9pm. Rates work like this:

Published rates Mon. 9am to 9pm: $45

Hotwire for Monday 9am to 9pm: $30

Hotwire for Sunday 9pm to Monday 9pm: $16

My question: if I prepay the car through Priceline/Hotwire for pick-up Sunday night, can I show up at the counter with the story that I missed my flight, then use the car from Monday morning until Monday night? I want to say that, especially through Priceline/Hotwire, I shouldn't have trouble renting for less than my prepaid time, but I'm still a little unsure.

Thoughts? Experiences?
Old Jul 27, 2006, 4:54 am

It's a huge gamble. I assume that this is at an airport location that doesn't close. If they had a closing time,you could call right before closing and say that you can get it in the morning.
Why not call and ask a general "What if..." question?
Old Jul 29, 2006, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
You should be okay:

http://www.hotwire.com/customer-care...-plans-faq.jsp

Q: Can I change my pick-up or drop-off time?

A: No, but you can pick up your car later than the scheduled time. Our partners will hold your rental car for up to 24 hours. If you return your car early, you will not be reimbursed for any unused portion of your reservation. If you return your car more than one hour late, you may be charged for extra rental days. Because your Hotwire Hot-Rate® is only guaranteed for the rental period you booked on the site, any additional days may be charged at a higher rate.
But I'd still call the car company Sunday night and let them know you are "running late", and bring a copy of the Hotwire page and the Hotwire phone number (is there one?) with you, just in case.

Last edited by swag; Jul 29, 2006 at 12:41 pm Reason: i can't type
Old Aug 6, 2006, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Well, I did it. Booked for 11pm tonight-- ended up with a 24 hour offfice. Will plan to fly in at 7:50am tomorrow (standby- but flight is open) and I'll report how it goes.

Travelocity prices: $31 compact, $34 midsize
Hotwire: $16.95 compact, $18.95 midsize

I tried $11 midsize on priceline and got it!

Will report later....... wish me luck!
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Success!

I'm happy to report that the car rental folks didn't bat an eye when I picked up the car late--- I arrived at 8am for the 11pm reservation. Agent asked for my name, said it was pre-paid, and printed a contract with an 11pm return time. Swiped my card for damages, etc. and I was on my way.

I've rented from this particular airport/office a dozen times before under published rates and have never had trouble. This occasion was no exception. One note: I ended up with a Jetta with leather!! I've never seen a Jetta rental before in my life!
Old Aug 11, 2006, 5:00 am

I'm glad it went smooth. Thanks for sharing.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 1:00 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Originally Posted by Viajero Joven
I've rented from this particular airport/office a dozen times before under published rates and have never had trouble. This occasion was no exception. One note: I ended up with a Jetta with leather!! I've never seen a Jetta rental before in my life!
Was it Hertz at CMH (Columbus, OH)? That's a franchised location that's known to be owned by the same people who own a VW dealership and thus put their VW inventory into rental service.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:51 am

I rented a Jetta as a mid-sized car with Enterprise at the DFW airport location.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Viajero Joven
I ended up with a Jetta with leather!! I've never seen a Jetta rental before in my life!
Jetta with leather for $11

Might have to start considering rentals more often
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:23 am
Original Poster

The Jetta was at a corporate Alamo/National location.

In all of my years picking on Emerald Aisle, I've never come across one--- and considering that a Jetta with leather is what I drive at home, I keep an eye out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.