Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

CC transaction posted but Orbitz claims its only an "authorization"

Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Booked a flight on Orbitz, and subsequently cancelled during the 24 hr free cancellation window. My CC was charged by the airline, not Orbitz, and the transaction posted in my account.

I called Orbitz to make sure that the charge will be reversed, but they claim that the charge I am seeing is just a pending transaction that would soon fall off by itself. They are wrong, however, as the pending transaction has definitely been processed and the amount withdrawn from the account.

I am worried by the discrepancy between the Orbitz's version and the reality -- will the airline refund me when Orbitz think that no charge has ever been made?

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Thanks in advance for any thought or advice!
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:19 am
Original Poster

To update, the airline charge has been reversed the next day. This goes to show that Orbitz representative didn't know what he was talking about -- the charge may move from "pending" to "posted" status (which Orbitz cannot see), but there is a system in place that reverses the charge in case of 24 hr cancellation.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
What you describe is normal practice. When you purchase with OTA, the charge would generally show up with the ticketing airline as merchant despite the charge originating from the OTA. The refund process you experienced is also normal practice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.