Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Can I add an infant on lap at the airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: MP Silver

I'm having a little trouble with my booking on Orbitz for an international flight on Iberia. We made a change to the booking but Orbitz wants to charge an ridiculous amount for changing the infant on lap.

$310 to change one leg just for the infant. The fare for the infant for the return itinerary was just $131.

I'm wondering if it would be better to add the infant at the airport?

Below is a separate link to a similar post on the Iberia forum with more details on the situation
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberi...e-booking.html
Old May 3, 2017, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you call Iberia? Worst case would seem to be that they sell you a new lap infant ticket for $131 and you just cancel and discard the current ticket for the lap kid.

It could take a lot of time to do this at the airport. Also, some airlines price tickets for lap infants on the basis of currently available fares, so doing it on the day of departure could mean 10% of a very expensive full fare ticket, plus taxes and fees of course.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP Silver
Before I called Orbitz, I actually called Iberia. They were super helpful pricing out the change however they couldn't actually make the change as it needed to go through Orbitz. When Iberia priced out the change for the in fact was just $23 and she said they typically charge 10%.

I've been looking at the fare rules this morning and it does mention 10% but its not clear to me what's referring to. My fare, the infants fare??
Old May 3, 2017, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MatNorth
Before I called Orbitz, I actually called Iberia. They were super helpful pricing out the change however they couldn't actually make the change as it needed to go through Orbitz. When Iberia priced out the change for the in fact was just $23 and she said they typically charge 10%.

I've been looking at the fare rules this morning and it does mention 10% but its not clear to me what's referring to. My fare, the infants fare??
Most international airlines charge as follows for lap infant tickets: 10% of the fare (for the applicable cabin, so 10% of a business class fare if the adult has upgraded a coach ticket using miles, for example) plus 100% of all taxes and fees (although the British "luxury tax" is not charged on any ticket for a passenger under some age like 18).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.