Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BYOJet bait and switch scam??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:29 am
Original Poster

BYOJet bait and switch scam??

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in.

I was looking for flights from Melbourne to Hong Kong, and BYOJet came up as the cheapest.. and furthermore, the fare class was clearly stated as 'M Economy', with is Cathay's fully flexible economy class seat.

I'm always a bit paranoid of website crashing, so I did screenshots of the fares, and codes, and my booking confirmation.

Long story cut short.. after booking and paying the $740, I checked on the Cathay 'manage my bookings', and the fare class is S (lowest possible class.. no seat selection, and 25% points accrual).

I called BYOJet, and they've offered to issue a full refund.. they've acknowledged the mistake (in writing).

Can someone help me understand my legal rights here... as a consumer, haven't they entered into a legal contract with me to supply M Economy tickets?.

Any suggestions are appreciated...

Last edited by xyzman29; Feb 18, 2017 at 1:38 am
Old Feb 18, 2017, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
They acknowledged their mistake, offered a refund and apologized. What legal rights are you looking for? How about when they mistakenly advertise a flight that doesn't exist because someone in advertising typed the wrong city. Do you believe that they have an obligation to run the flight for you if you tender the money before they find the mistake and withdraw the ad?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Actually, I expected them to honor the fare code that was advertised to me when I purchased it. I've since read their terms and conditions, and it says that any mistakes aren't their responsibility.. so it's easy to just claim it as a mistake.

A bit of a pain, considering I specifically wanted the M fare so I could have something flexible and 100% points earn.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by xyzman29
Actually, I expected them to honor the fare code that was advertised to me when I purchased it. I've since read their terms and conditions, and it says that any mistakes aren't their responsibility.. so it's easy to just claim it as a mistake.
Just out of curiosity, how did you determine that they're "just claim[ing] it as a mistake" and that it wasn't an actual legitimate mistake?
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
They are already giving you the maximum legal required compensation (in most jurisdictions) which is a full refund with no fees since they can't render the service. Unless you can prove unavoidable hardship or irreparable harm (highly unlikely) there's really nothing else you can ask for. The only way I can see this happening is if you're set to depart in the next day or two.

Not being able to earn miles is not justifiable cause to ask for anything more. Pay the actual M fare if you're really set on earning 100% miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.