How to specify long layover?

Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance
How to specify long layover?

I am looking to book a flight from JFK to CEB (Cebu, Philippines). I can't sleep on planes, and I want to spend the night in the ICN (Inchon, South Korea) airport hotel, which worked out very well for me in the past.

In looking at travel sites, they seem to have fewer listings for long-layover flights than in the past. I can tell by the time to this destination, if it is 21-24 hours, it's a short layover, but there are flights with 32-40 hour total lengths, which means a nice long layover.

Some sites let you specify a maximum time but not a minimum. I tried looking on the airlines sites (Asiana and Korean Air) but they're not much help either. I also tried looking up the individual flights (for example, ICN to CEB), but this often generated errors on the websites, and in any case, I wouldn't know how to combine them into an itinerary even if I did find them.

I know there's some kind of way to "link" flights so that if your first flight is delayed and you miss the second one, you're not on your own. I don't know what this is called or how to do it, though.

It all seems so complicated, and the different aggregators (like expedia, skyscanner, kayak) show different combinations of flights, so there's not even any complete list of what's available. The whole system seems flaky and inconsistent, if not malicious (the thing with raising rates if you look for the same flight again).

Is this something I'd have to get an old-fashioned travel agent to do, or is there some way to look at the individual flights on my own, or to specify a longer layover when searching?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Try a multi-city search, i.e. NYC-ICN, then ICN-CEB for the day after you first flight arrives. In many cases, this will return long, but sub-24hr layovers, at or near the price of the shorter flights.

I am a non-sleeper too and I often do this, in order to force daytime westbound sectors.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip. Does doing it this way still include the feature that the airline will get you to your destination or refund the 2nd flight if the first flight is delayed or cancelled?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by moosehooey
Thanks for the tip. Does doing it this way still include the feature that the airline will get you to your destination or refund the 2nd flight if the first flight is delayed or cancelled?
Yes, because you would still be booking it as a single reservation with a single ticket number rather than as two separate tickets.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Some booking sites allow you to rank flights according to the total time. Once you have done this, scroll down until you find an acceptable length of time.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Use ITA Matrix to find your itinerary.

Departing from: JFK
Destination CEB
Click Advanced routing codes
In the advanced routing codes field, enter "icn / minconnect 700" without quotes, where 700 is the minimum connection time you want, in minutes. "icn" forces a single connection at ICN.

You may want to sort by duration. When you find the itinerary you want to book, click on the price on the left to get the full detail page. You can't book on ITA Matrix, but keep this page open.

Open a new tab and go to bookwithmatrix.com. Copy the text of the full detail page in ITA Matrix (Windows: Ctrl + A then Ctrl + C, Mac: Command A then Command C). Paste into the search box on bookwithmatrix.com. Bookwithmatrix will give you links to booking sites with the itinerary populated and ready to book.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
What about this itinerary westbound?

KE 82 Lv JFK 1:00 pm Ar ICN 4:25 pm
PR 485 Lv ICN 7:30 am Ar CEB 11:05 am
Old Feb 3, 2017, 7:08 am
Original Poster

I did a multi-city search in skyscanner and it worked well.

The ITA Matrix thing looks useful, thanks for the recommendation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.