Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Hotels.com booked me at a hotel that is closed for renovations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Thought I would share an amusing story that happened to my wife and I over the weekend. We were heading down to CT to visit family, and decided that we would stay at a hotel saturday night since my grandmother's house was going to be quite full with visitors. So I fired up Hotels.com and booked a room the closest reasonably priced hotel to my grandmother's house, the "Yankee Pedlar" in Torrington. Received a confirmation email from Hotels.com and figured we were all set.

Fast forward to satuday night around 10PM, we show up to the hotel and are surprised to find the hotel entrance boarded up with a sign posted on the board "Closed for Renovations, reopening Fall 2016". Puzzled, we call the number for the hotel on the reservation confirmation, and it's been disconnected. Checked their website and indeed it indicates that they are closed for renovations, guess I should have done more research before booking!

Luckily my grandmother's house wasn't as crowded as we were expecting and we were able to head back there and get a good night's sleep, but the whole thing left me quite confused. How had hotels.com confirmed our reservation with a hotel that is closed? I gave them a call on Sunday morning and after confirming that yes, indeed the number they have for the hotel is disconnected, they apologetically returned my money.

Before hanging up I asked the CS agent to make a note that I would like them to call or email me to explain how it happens that their system allowed them to book and confirm my reservation at a closed hotel, because I'm going to be pretty hesitant to book through hotels.com in the future unless i can understand how something like this could happen. Not sure I'll ever receive a response but figured I'd post this cautionary tale for everyone's amusement, I've certainly learned that I should follow up a confirmation email with a call to the hotel, in this case it wasn't a big deal but it certainly could have been.

If I hear anything from hotels.com about how this might have happened I'll update the thread, but I'm not holding my breath...
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:09 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving this thread to Online Booking Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:54 am

typically when you book thru 3rd party/OTA, you pay the OTA

OTA then faxes/emails the actual hotel, with the reservation details, along with a temporary/virtual CC number owned by OTA with a max $ amount

everything here is automated. that's why OTAs have low overhead

if hotel doesn't monitor the faxes/emails, OTA doesn't know if there's a problem. even if hotel's fax machine rejects the fax, OTA might not have proper exception handling, and keeps retrying/assumes things are fine. if no one booked the hotel before you, OTA won't know that hotel is under renovation

takeaways: always look at the hotel main page before booking and do some research on google/tripadvisor. sometimes, hotel is cheaper (or willing to price match OTA). sometimes, you'll see the closure/renovation messaegs

Last edited by paperwastage; Oct 25, 2016 at 8:04 am
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:59 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Yeah, not hotels.com's fault. The hotel enters the info into hotels.com website. I had that happen in Vegas. Fortunately I knew it ahead of time, and knew that the hotel would have to accommodate me in their sister hotel next door, which was double the price.

It took me some phone calls the day before my departure, but as I thought, I was accommodated in the better hotel.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by tatterdema
Yeah, not hotels.com's fault. The hotel enters the info into hotels.com website.
well, I'd say that hotels.com may not be at fault, but they're responsible for the guest and finding alternative accomodation/refund/compensation
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by paperwastage
well, I'd say that hotels.com may not be at fault, but they're responsible for the guest and finding alternative accomodation/refund/compensation
Which they did. I am just saying they have no way of knowing the hotel is closed, oversold, whatever. OP asked how this could happen, I explained.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Getting a refund doesn't help much when you're stranded at midnight in a place where all other acceptable hotels are completely full.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Yeah, this is really on the hotel. The hotel sets its rates and manages its own inventory. Hotels.com is only going to offer up rooms if the hotel says they have them available. Sounds like the hotel didn't pull its inventory for the renovation period. Hotels.com or any other OTA really has no way of knowing if a hotel is closed for renovations.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:04 pm

Delta did this with my Dublin flight that was supposed to arrive on Christmas morning. (The airport is closed then.) It ended up working out great for us, but I'm surprised that they didn't offer more than just a refund to you. Also, we've been finding some deals just by changing the country of origin. For some reason, some UK hotels accidentally list the same price in USD as they do in Pounds.

I almost forgot, same situation with Groupon for a Haiku restaurant that had closed 2 months prior. They would only agree to give me Groupon credits vs refund. What is crazier is that they are still selling for them on Groupon and Living Social! We passed by today and they are still closed! It seems weird that they didn't take the company down from their site.

Last edited by TravelingNomads; Oct 28, 2016 at 4:10 pm
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:40 pm

The hotel is responsible to inform all third parties be it a Travel Agent or Hotels.Com about the renovations with a Note stating: We regret to inform you that during the period of September 2016-December 2016 our hotel will be undergoing major renovations therefore we cannot accept any reservations until January 2017 unless there is any delays. We're sorry for the inconvenience this may have cause you".

Hotels.com should have deleted it from their list of available hotels including other third parties and they should have all zeroed out the availability for the range of dates as specified by the Inn.

I would contact Hoels. Com and ask for a refund if they refuse try and call the hotel and if the number is disconnected try calling a nearby business to get in touch with a contact at the hotel. If that does not work call your credit card company for a dispute after you have tried to contact the vendor.

Booking via third parties can be tough and this is why I would check out the website soon after getting your Hotels.com confirmation to confirm the hotel exists and is open or is under a major remodel. I would not want to be in your position if I did not have anywhere to go.

If it were me I would have called Hotels.com 24 hour reservation hotline or emergency number at 10 PM to see about relocating you or offering you a refund. Even if my relatives lived in the same town I would not want to bother them past 10 PM. That is why I would call Hotels.com ight then and there.

The way it works is say I own Riverside Inn I have a reservation system and it blocks out Third Party OTA reservations. When I get a fax from Hotels.Com I go into the inventory of the blocked rooms and name the hotel room and enter in all the payment details what was paid to Hotels.Com and what is paid to me. If my hotel will be closed for a remodel I go and zero out the availability and inform my third parties.

There are some systems that book live rooms so therefore if there is no availability on my end their systems would show it to the minute.

Hence as small mom and pop business I would much rather have people book directly through me be it via my website or over the phone. I could offer extra incentives such as complimentary WiFi, Breakfast, 1 Bottle of Wine per night etc. Hotels can pay high fees to be part of the third party OTA"s and small mom and pop hotels can lose money from OTA's.

As a business I would kindly inform my customers to confirm their reservations whether booked via third party or directly for any special requests, anniversaries or birthdays etc and to cancel 72 hours before checkin time to try and sell their room again.

Please keep us informed about their resolution

I'm sorry you had to experience this. Good luck!!!

Last edited by danielonn; Oct 28, 2016 at 9:59 pm
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:44 pm

typically when you book thru 3rd party/OTA, you pay the OTA

OTA then faxes/emails the actual hotel, with the reservation details, along with a temporary/virtual CC number owned by OTA with a max $ amount

everything here is automated. that's why OTAs have low overhead

if hotel doesn't monitor the faxes/emails, OTA doesn't know if there's a problem. even if hotel's fax machine rejects the fax, OTA might not have proper exception handling, and keeps retrying/assumes things are fine. if no one booked the hotel before you, OTA won't know that hotel is under renovation

takeaways: always look at the hotel main page before booking and do some research on google/tripadvisor. sometimes, hotel is cheaper (or willing to price match OTA). sometimes, you'll see the closure/renovation messaegs
Right but OP said the phone was disconnected and who knows if the Fax shares the same line as their landline phone. Or even if its on a different line it could also be temporarily disconnected. The Hotel should have left a number to call for situations like yours. I know its a small Inn and I am beginning to wonder if it forgot to zero out the availability with Hotels.com and other OTA's.

As long as their availability is fed into the OTA it can be booked just like airline tickets as a seat is sold the inventory goes down by one. Same for a hotel as a room that is booked in the Hotwire allocated rooms gets booked it goes down by one whether the hotel is closed for months or is open as Hotwire does not know about the renovations unless they are informed.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Originally Posted by flwrlover1

I almost forgot, same situation with Groupon for a Haiku restaurant that had closed 2 months prior.
Do they serve you meals
With unequal numbers of
Dishes in each course?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
Do they serve you meals
With unequal numbers of
Dishes in each course?
Old Oct 29, 2016, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

whenever booking indirectly, should communicate with hotel

even when booking direct, can still communicate with hotel even just re arrival time
Old Oct 29, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
whenever booking indirectly, should communicate with hotel
Coincidental haiku, or cleverly planned?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.