Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Invalid connection?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2016, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Invalid connection?

I have been exploring different ways to fly from my local airport in the UK: LGW to Midland, MI, USA.

I have flown once before on Delta from LHR too DTW too MBS but have been looking at cheaper options.

Is it a possibility to fly from LGW to YYZ and then to YZR and instead drive across the border?

I have looked up flights on various searches including google and I can find connecting flights early which go on that route, but later on (I think when Air Canada Rouge stop flying) I can't get any good results.

When booking separately the flights and times seem to line up, with at least 2 hours layover on the way there and several hours on the way back.

Why aren't these routes appearing when I plan the complete route?
Will there be any issues booking separately?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Via google flights I punched in LON-MBS+4 surrounding airports which includes YZR and it priced as two tickets, two 1 way tickets, so you'd be protected on misconnects but changes would cost more.
Remember that you'd potentially need visas for Canada & the US depending on your citizenship and travel dates. And you'll be required to cross the border which can be time consuming. The cost is rather low though depending on dates.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...GW0AC1924;so=p
Old Sep 16, 2016, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is a slightly longer drive (at least in terms of drive time) from YZR to MBS than from DTW to MBS. If you add in the hassle of a border crossing, it is even longer.

Why not simply fly to DTW and drive up to MBS if you are willing to fly to YZR and drive from there.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're planning to drive across the border, be sure that your auto insurance covers both countries. For a rental car, be sure the agency permits it to cross the border.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Via google flights I punched in LON-MBS+4 surrounding airports which includes YZR and it priced as two tickets, two 1 way tickets, so you'd be protected on misconnects but changes would cost more.
Remember that you'd potentially need visas for Canada & the US depending on your citizenship and travel dates. And you'll be required to cross the border which can be time consuming. The cost is rather low though depending on dates.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...GW0AC1924;so=p
Thanks! Yes YZR usually seems to come out as the cheapest option. I wish I was flying this soon since I could make the journey from my local airport LGW and fly Air Canada all the way. Problem is I am looking at flying later in the year (aprox November returning in Febuary) and the air Canada LGW>YYZ route seems to stop in November. That leaves me with AirTransat and WestJet to connect from LGW and I have heard some bad stories about WestJet flights in particular being late. If I were to fly with two different airlines my bags would definitely not be transferred right? (I read that aircanada don't share westjet or airtransat as inline partners). It also means I may more likely be late making my connection for the local YYZ>YZR flight. For some reason after November google doesn't plan any flights at all even though it has the air transat and westjet flights on its index system when I book only to YYZ. Any ideas behind this?

Originally Posted by Often1
It is a slightly longer drive (at least in terms of drive time) from YZR to MBS than from DTW to MBS. If you add in the hassle of a border crossing, it is even longer.

Why not simply fly to DTW and drive up to MBS if you are willing to fly to YZR and drive from there.
I am happy to do this but it generally seems to cost more to fly to DTW than YZR. I am also a lot closer to LGW than LHR at home. It takes me about 15 mins to get to LGW and 1h30m to LHR.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you're planning to drive across the border, be sure that your auto insurance covers both countries. For a rental car, be sure the agency permits it to cross the border.
Thanks! thats a good point. I didn't think of that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.