Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

How much is Hotwire's margins on its opaque deals?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2016, 12:34 am
Original Poster

If I understand correctly, on its opaque deals, Hotwire adds their margins(profits) on top of the rates that

hotels provide. I'm wondering what percentage or a fixed amount do Hotwire add on top?

Last edited by badgerbucky; May 10, 2016 at 12:41 am
Old May 26, 2016, 6:08 pm
B1

The famous Utell articles on Priceline and Hotwire rate-setting for hotels has been put behind a security wall. However, there is a very detailed analysis for Priceline bid prices that also will apply to Hotwire at this link: http://scholarship.sha.cornell.edu/c...ntext=articles
But if you try to read it, you probably will be sorry you asked.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I've seen rates on a number of hotels booked through these sites when they hand me the sign in sheet. For a $75 room, the markup is often $5-10. Don't know if it is more on more expensive rooms.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I booked a room via priceline years ago and the hotel oversold and had to walk us to a W in a city center location. Part of the agreement included refunding our stay at their hotel and covering our W stay expenses. The hotel screwed it up and after 60 days later Priceline refused to refund to me directly. So they sent me a check instead for the Rate-12.5%. I wasn't going to argue to get the 12.5% back as the hotel originially cost me under 100$ and paid out close to 350$ to the W.
Old May 27, 2016, 2:34 am

Programs: HH Silver
Lots of variables, but normally 25%. And the OTA doesn't ADD to the rate the hotel provides, the rate the hotel provides INCLUDES the commission.
Old May 28, 2016, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I've seen rates on a number of hotels booked through these sites when they hand me the sign in sheet. For a $75 room, the markup is often $5-10. Don't know if it is more on more expensive rooms.
My experience is identical to this--a $55 hotel room costs Priceline somewhere in the $45-50 neighborhood. I've even gotten mistakenly billed a couple times (fixed without incident by the hotel in both cases), so I know that's what the hotel was collecting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.